Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions for Master Faruk Turunz
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 06:48 AM
Questions for Master Faruk Turunz

Dear Usta,
I could have sent you this message in U2U, but i chose to make it open for everybody to watch and benefit from your outstanding expertise.

I've watched the youtube videos of the interviews done with you about building oud, where you explained the steps therein for building oud from timber to a finished first quality oud.
In the videos you said something that caught my attention, which is:
"in the soundboard room, you use the computer to design the soundboard in a way to give you the sound that you desire for the oud"
My questions for you dear Usta are:
1-To which extent can you control the quality of the sound you wish to obtain from an oud you are making?
2-And utilizing your techniques and technology, can you build ouds that can produce the same sound without difference from one oud and another?
3-Also what factors that play key role in determining the quality and nature of the oud's sound?
Thanking you in advance for your patience.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 07:56 AM

Dear damascene_oud,

Thank you for asking those questions on the Forum pages instead of U2U.

Let me try to answer them as much as I can:

1-To which extent can you control the quality of the sound you wish to obtain from an oud you are making?

I can control the quality of the sound up to the limit determined by the number of results I had reached previously. The part that stays out of my control means "a sound which I haven't put in any of my ouds so far but can be imagined". This probablity of being imagined is the source of an infinite inspiration that lasts in every instrument maker's heart.

2-And utilizing your techniques and technology, can you build ouds that can produce the same sound without difference from one oud and another?
The answer of this question lies in the first paragraph. Yes, I can build ouds that can produce the same sound without difference from one oud to another if I have the "same" wood for all the parts of those ouds.

3-Also what factors that play key role in determining the quality and nature of the oud's sound?
Brace frequency composition and the overal stiffness of the raw soudboard wood and overal thickness of it are the parametres that play key role in the sound produced by soundboard. This first system is in interrelation with the other parts of the oud. The wood density of the body, thickness of it, the shape of the "face" of the oud, depth of the body the stiffness of the neck are the other parameters that have correlative impact on the sound we hear.

Best regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top