Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Why must one play with a risha?
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 2-19-2010 at 12:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aymara  
Quote: Originally posted by David.B  

No, I'm talking about my video ...

Aah, you mean the combination of risha and fingerpicking?

I mean the "risha" between the fingers and the right arm parallel to the strings. This could be the primitive position on oud, isn't it ? Nowadays position looks like the guitar position...

jenni, to resume I would say the risha was developed for a melodic instrument which use a lot of ornaments (like tremolos and returns). Other methods are adaptations from an other instrument/music genre. As we saw for the lute, the "risha" melodic technique used in the middle age has evolved to a fingertips technique under the impulsion of a harmonic/polyphonic music.

jdowing, does it mean the lute hold by O'Dette has no basses tuned in octaves ? So the different colors of the strings just help to distinguish them ?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-19-2010 at 06:11 AM

David.B - I cannot distinguish string colour from the image but the lute appears to be a typical example of the instruments made in Germany (for the German lute repertoire of the period) during the first part of the 18th C by makers like Sebastian Schelle. These instruments typically had 13 courses - the top two trebles being single, running to a separate peg 'rider', and the lowest 2 or 3 basses again running to a separate raised bracket mounted on the pegbox.
The basses are relatively short (compared to the extended neck lutes of an earlier period) so might typically be octave tuned (gut?) pairs. Also, it is possible that metal overspun strings (newly invented at the end of the 17th C) may have been used perhaps as single basses?

The lute thumb under technique seems to be a direct development from plectrum playing. This is most apparent when very rapid passages are executed where the right hand (held almost parallel to the strings) moves up and down as if using a risha except that it is the thumb and forefinger that strike the strings alternately.
There are probably some video clips of Paul O'Dette (and other professional lutenists) using this technique on YouTube or elsewhere on the Internet. Easier to understand when seen demonstrated than explained!

This might be a good technique - albeit from ancient times - useful to the modern oud player interested in using risha and finger tips.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2010 at 06:31 AM

Here are some short video clips - posted on the Lute Society of America website - of Jacob Heringman, Ron McFarlane, and Adrea Damiani using the thumb under technique. See under 'Instructional Material'

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/download/index.html
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 2-19-2010 at 09:16 AM

jdowning,

Just to confirm your words : "13-course Baroque lute by Andrew Rutherford, New York, 2002, after Sebastian Schelle (1727)".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23_pcCZkZg -> That's right ! After 01:35 Paul O'Dette becomes the Farid El Atrache of lute :applause: :bowdown:

Very interesting alternative, indeed...

Thanks for all these great infos :)
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2010 at 12:45 PM

Farid El Atrache of the lute no doubt! There are some great lute players out there - like O'Dette - capable of performing some of the most demanding works of the vaste surviving lute repertoire (from the early 16th C to the mid 18th C).
I also admire Jacob Heringman's relaxed, 'laid back' style of performance evident in the video clip noted in the previous post.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 2-19-2010 at 11:36 PM

Ironically the bovine horn material is chemically and structurally much like fingernail, same stuff. Feather-stoffe, if you could get a nice slab to work with, would be similar too. Maybe pterodactyl toenails would be useful (Mojo, rattlesnake hide and shrunken skulls come to mind too -- who do you love?)

Horn sounds a little different from Delrin, which is a thin (0.030") plastic widely used for harpsichord plectra (because it sounds/acts like bird-quill). I can hear the difference, but barely. When mentioning the return, your teacher was probably thinking of the thicker Pyramid plastic rishas, which are more like guitar pick-stoffe.

The guitar pick is small and stiff. The long risha SHAPE and flex give you a leverage and snap you can't get easily from anything else. I find chords and bluegrass arpeggios play best with fingers, but tremolo and lead lines work best with a horn risha.

I HAVE tried rishas on fretless bass, electric and acoustic guitar. It's interesting but it's not that special heavenly match. Nothing like a risha working those double strings!
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2010 at 12:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Ironically the bovine horn material is chemically and structurally much like fingernail, same stuff.

Yes, but fingernails are usually thinner and have a different shape. And as we found out in the risha discussions, not only the material affects the sound, but also the thickness, the shape and the angle between risha and string.

With my preferred feathers it's similar ... I need to file the quill's top round and not every feather sounds as good as the other, depending much on the quill's thickness.

Oh and btw ... a downstroke with a fingernail sounds very different from the upstroke usually used on guitars. This wasn't mentioned so far.

Quote:
The guitar pick is small and stiff.

Yes and no ... there are very different types avallable, stiff and soft, different shapes, plastic or even horn. I have one plectrum, which sounds very similar to plastic rishas.

Quote:
..., but tremolo and lead lines work best with a horn risha.

Usually yes, but I bet, it's just a matter of practice ... listen for example to the fast and perfectly sounding tremolos in the lute videos.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2010 at 05:25 AM

Luthier and lutenist Martin Shepherd has a good article on the 'thumb under' right hand technique (as well as other articles about historical strings, pitch standards etc)
Recordings and tablatures of the early lute repertoire too!

http://www.luteshop.co.uk/index.htm

I must spend some time going through the content of his web site as there seems to be lots of useful information there.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 3-26-2010 at 04:07 AM

Just had a little accident last night that required trimming the length of a horn risha to try to use what was left. I was a little surprised to find that unless it is long enough to at least protrude a bit from the end of the hand, my risha technique really suffers. In other words the normal risha hand motion is best if the "tail can flap" and if you don't have to clutch it in the small of the hand. Same with thin black Delrin. The hyper narrow nylon ones approaching the size of cable ties, or the thick Pyramid plastic ones, I dunno.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top