Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nahat sold on E Bay
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 04:33 PM
Nahat sold on E Bay

This oud sold on E Bay for $2627. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380212464470... Any opinions as to whether or not the top has been replaced? The tiling around the neck is different than around the top and it looks so clean for an oud from the 1930's. I was tempted when the price was around $1500 but then it jumped so I didn't bother bidding. Just curious. -Roy
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 05:32 PM

I would have a hard time believing that the face is original. Are there any original Nahats (other than that one from Brazil) with original extended fingerboards? And while the smaller rosettes look like they could be original, I'm not as sure about the large one. And, as you mentioned, it seems odd that the edge purfling would change so drastically from the neck, to the face.
That being said, I really like the neck/fingerboard--a lot. And the bowl sure looks like it could be the real deal.
I am not any Nahat expert, but there do seem to be some red flags here.

alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 3-17-2010 at 03:15 PM

This can't bee original for at least two major defects:

1. The bridge is not a Nahat , definitely not George Hanna's. This is only an imitation of Nahat's , & believe me : not a very good one too .
2. The big Rosette is one of "Ekhwan Nahat" - Nahat Brothers (Abdo & Roufan), George's uncles, who worked for sometime together in the very early 20th century. George never used other's rosettes.

It seems that this oud has been renovated by a non-Arab luthier, who didn't pay attention to what's written in the center of the big Shamsiah, otherwise he wouldn't have made such a major mistake !

I wouldn't have bought this oud for more than a thousand, maybe for the bawl & the sticker ....

A fraud ? Well, I don't really know !!

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2010 at 05:37 PM

Yes, I agree. Maybe for $1000 or so it is worth it if the buyer is aware of what he or she is buying. For over $2500 though I would want it to be original. There are a few Nahats for sale on e-Bay but there is something about them that does not look right. I can't say exactly what it is. Has anyone else noticed these "Nahats"? If so, what is your opinion? -Roy
oudio
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 01:17 AM

Unfortunately I missed that auction.
If the buyer by a chance is a member of this forum and doesn't like the oud, I would buy it from him/her
for $3127, that is $500 more than the price plus shipping or I can come to pick it up.
Please send me U2U.
tchandler
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 08:02 AM

I don't know, seems like the real deal is going for $6K minimum these days. Maybe the franken-nahat kind of oud is worth a coupla grand.
tom
bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 09:53 AM

6K is alot!
there are few nahats on ebay for half that price!
they look original to me, but i am no expert

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oudio  
Unfortunately I missed that auction.
If the buyer by a chance is a member of this forum and doesn't like the oud, I would buy it from him/her
for $3127, that is $500 more than the price plus shipping or I can come to pick it up.
Please send me U2U.

Come over & pick mine (George Hanna Nahhat 1942 - all original, untouched) for 2.5 k only !!
If you can't make it, I'll ship it to you on your cost !

For more details & photos pls contact me through my mail : alfarabymusic@gmail.com

yours indeed
Alfaraby

Go To Top