Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud teachers - Wales, Palestine..
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 12:16 PM
Oud teachers - Wales, Palestine..

I think I am not lucky enough to find an Oud teacher in Wales, but please if there is one I would love to know about them. This is something I will be starting from scratch and have loved oud music and playing for a long time. Possibly my only chance is to travel for just a week or so sometime to ...maybe Palestine - I hope to work on my tiny, tiny Arabic also - which I have long wanted to improve also :-) I am a mother here, so a long spell away from home is not possible... but maybe I can gain at least some insight and inspiration to continue at home and through music I have here.
Any positive thoughts gratefully received. It is the Arabic style of playing, particularly Palestinian artists that I have liked. I was once told by a Kurdish man, who played beautifully, that the Oud was not for a woman, a woman's hands could not be big enough. I politely added that I could see that could be a problem, although as children learn to play the oud, it must be possible to find smaller ouds. I hope this is true. I played piano as a child and violin still, my hands were not incompetant for these instruments, I hope they will have a chance to relate to an oud one day.
Kindest regards, Diane
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 12:33 PM

Hello Diane

I'm sure the oud will be fine in your hands ... you don't need big hands to play oud - it is smaller than a guitar and plenty of women play guitar.

Look out for UK oud meetings, we get together now and then and so far they have been in Manchester and Oxford.

Also the amazing Palestinian oudi Nizar Rohana visits us for workshops sometimes, and we post on this forum.

Best wishes

Leon
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 02:39 PM

My gosh,
People into oud in Portsmouth! I used to live there many years ago. I'm glad to hear of the UK meet ups. Thank you Leon, that sounds great. It is possible I could put myself on a direct mailng list for that?
I am really at the beginning of my journey though and have much to understand. I do not have to access to an oud, and it would be wise to try first... I'm glad to hear my hands will be sufficient :-) Then after another decision on which oud from where - I need to consider this wisely.
Any other leads also regarding Wales, or indeed if I was to travel, greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Diane
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 05:04 AM

Diane, I am sorry for the Kurdish guy, but he said such a stupid thing!! Women, as well as men can play any instrument!! Especially oud that as a plucked instrument has one of the shorter fingerboards (as they already told you)!!
And moreover, if one has a very very small hand he\she always can get a smaller oud of 58 cm diameter (like turkish or Munir banshir model), but I think anyway there's no need at all.

I am sure there must be a teacher in London.
Anyway, I am going to Tunis to meet a copule of teachers (one is teaching oud at the Tunis Conservatory) and if you like I will ask about the possibility of going there for one week and make an intensive cycle of lessons. I am sure it will be possible.

I will post all the informations I get, on the forum anyway.

Enjoy your oud and become a good player in spite of the kurdish guy (-:

Daniele
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 05:41 AM

Historically, and the more knowledgabe please correct me, but Oud was an instrument played primarily by women quranas (pre-islamic Gaishas). And was later followed by the Mukhanathoon (gays) , so its a very liberal instrument :)

My references come from Hassan Toumas "Music of the Arabs" which I read a while ago.
Have a good day, welcome to the forum and good luck.
Fadi
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 07:28 AM

My understanding is that ouds built in the Turkish tradition come in four sizes - girl, woman, boy and man - the string length for the woman's size oud being 56 cm.
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 02:47 PM

Indeed it seems there will be no problem of gender for me playing the oud :-) And my hands are of no exceptional small size. I think this will be fine :-) Thank you all.
Any further leads re: study greatly appreciated. Also I have found someone advertising an arabic oud for sale...is there anything I should know to ask, be wary of, bear in mind..? Okay, that's maybe a vast question, ..but for starters!
My kind regards, Diane
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 03:15 PM

Hi Diane

Welcome to the forum. There is lots of information if you search the forum enter 'buying oud' and you'll get a list of related threads. Unless you know what you are looking for definately try before you buy or get another oud player to try it for you- however, a basic relatively cheap oud to get you started is maybe what you need. You should be able to get one for around £200-300.
Happy hunting

Kelly
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 03:22 PM

Diane
Most welcome to Palestine. Here you shall have a wonderful trip experiencing the oud & meet the oudists & the luthiers. You shall meet hundreds of oud players & students if you have the time. You may, as-well, have an intensive course playing the oud with the best teacher we ever had : Kamil Shajrawy from Nazareth (fluent English speaker). You'll meet the legendary luthiers : Kamil Mowais & Hatem Jubran (Jubran Trio's father) in Nazareth & Abu A'laa in Baqa (supra) and probably buy the best oud you could have ever dreamt of, the Hanum size, built especially for women. Here you shall have enough time to work out your Arabic, and maybe improve it a bit. We might as-well improve our English along-with :)

Summary: Palestine/Israel is heaven for oudists, despite the tension, but this is politics, while music is what matters here .

Just to let you & everyone here know : Palestinian Arabs & Israeli Jews oudists are real friends & care about each other a lot. See ? Oud can make peace, & I mean real peace !

Welcome again

Yours Truly
Alfaraby
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 11:02 PM

Hi!
First of all, Kelly. Thank you I had a feeling there would be specific sections for these questions about buying. I have seen one advertised for £80 which suprised me. I can't justify more than a beginner's oud as I will indeed be a beginner. But also I don't want to cause myself problems in learning because of a poorly made oud. I will check these sections.
Alfaraby, thank you. I took some litle gasps reading your mail. Such a trip would be a great honour. I have some work to do first, I should accustomed myself a little with oud, work a little on my Arabic as it is such a beautiful language I would hope to make the most of my opportunity to speak with people and also not to feel disrespectful, and not to be limited in my interactions by my lack of the language. But of course, I'm sure there will be much English to be shared also! I must also save up for this trip! :-)
Were such a journey possible however it would be amazing - some small part of it even. Thank you for the suggestions, Alfaraby.
Wow! :-)
My warmest regards, Diane
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fhalaw  
Historically, and the more knowledgabe please correct me, but Oud was an instrument played primarily by women quranas (pre-islamic Gaishas). And was later followed by the Mukhanathoon (gays) , so its a very liberal instrument :)

My references come from Hassan Toumas "Music of the Arabs" which I read a while ago.
Have a good day, welcome to the forum and good luck.
Fadi

Hey! I got this book and I started to read it yesterday! I am studyng arabic at the Lybic accademy in Palermo, and I found this book in the Academy's library\ I was so happy! And just yesterday I red about Qainat (basicly the only musicians of the pre-islamic period, all of them women..)
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 05:44 PM

I didn't thank everyone personally for their mails. And Fadi's in particular was enlightening. I hope to find this book also.
Many thanks, and to Daniele also, Diane
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-25-2010 at 08:28 AM

Hello Diane,

Did you take a look at the video that Peyman posted.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10527

It's an Iranian group with only women.
You also can look this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exeFV521KRQ&NR=1
with the barbat player (her name is Najmeh Saghir)
At 2:30 she begins to play a very nice taqsim.
And her fingers and arms don't seem to be too short.:applause:

Good luck in your learning.

Robert
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-25-2010 at 11:52 AM

Yes sorry 'Qainat' , I dont know where I got 'Qurans' from :)
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-26-2010 at 01:43 PM

Thank you Robert, my young son was particularly taken with the second ensemble, exclaiming 'Oud!' each time there was a shot of the player. Just a brief message - have mails ot catch up with, but no window till later.
Kindest regards, Diane

PS Alfaraby - I wanted to ask you about better times for visiting Palestine. I know of some things happening in August there, but it is a busy month, certainly mid and very end month for me. I don't know that late July/early August is possible this year, but it may be. Is there a reason why this wouldn't be a good time? Is there a traditionally better time of the year? It's good to know these things - weather, events, festivals, times people are collectively otherwise engaged/busy. It may be that it has to wait till next year, but we will see.
My kindest regards, Diane
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 02:08 AM

Hi Diane!

Quote: Originally posted by diane  
I think I am not lucky enough to find an Oud teacher in Wales, ...

Let me show you an alternative ... we have an oud teacher in the forums, who is located in Cairo and gives lessons over the internet ... our friend Tony (Fernand Raynaud) tried it and reported about this experience HERE.
Because you mentioned being a mother I thought this might be interesting for you ... you could get your private lessons at home ... the world is a village :D

Quote:
I was once told by a Kurdish man, who played beautifully, that the Oud was not for a woman, a woman's hands could not be big enough.

Did he have a little macho problem? :D

Let me show you one of my favorite oud songs ... and guess what ... the female singer isn't only beautiful, she's also a good oud player ;) ... look HERE. And this seems to be a normal sized oud.

And there are so many more women showing so muuuch talent ... just search Youtube to find further examples besides the already mentioned. HERE's a Turkish example.

Quote:
I played piano as a child and violin still ...

Especially the later is very helpful, because you already got used to a fretless fingerboard. That should help you to learn oud faster, than absolute beginners.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 03:00 AM

Thank you for your kind words Chris, I have to dhas now, but will return to reply properly later I hope.
Warmest wishes, Diane
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 04:23 AM

Yo, Chris, how is she playing with those fingernails????
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 04:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
..., how is she playing with those fingernails????

Take a closer look to find out, that only her thumb nail is long ... the finger nails of her left hand are colored, yes, but short enough for gripping the strings. And, hey, who said, she's a virtuoso ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 10:03 AM

Hi Chris, re: did he have a macho problem, well, I presumed so from his retort, but don't like to speak in ignorance, so I politely shared my disbelief - given we put people on the moon, and thought I'd check for myself! :-)

diane
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 10:08 AM

And thank you for the suggestion about the remote lessons from Cairo. My computer isn't the quickest but it is something that may be possible?!?
Warm regards, Diane
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 10:36 AM

Hi again!

Quote: Originally posted by diane  
My computer isn't the quickest but it is something that may be possible?!?

More important is the bandwidth of the internet connection, but we'll check out technical details later, when it's needed.

Don't worry so far ... I also only have a 5 year old notebook and it would work.

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Go To Top