Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Egyptian? Syrian? Turkish?
Kassidari
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:05 AM
Egyptian? Syrian? Turkish?

Hey All,

I've recently begun to look into playing Oud quite seriously, and I asked a friend from Palestine if he had any suggestions on what Ouds are the best.
Basically the way he put it to me, is that its best to stay away form the Egyptian & Syrian models, and go for the Turkish.

The only problem is, that I'm interested in playing Arabic tuning/style. Does the make really have such a huge effect on Tone/vibe?

From what I've read so far, it seems that I'm going to want to go through a well established Luthier, and that the extra money will be well worth it in the end ( looks like I have some saving to do). At that level, will it really matter? If I go through a Syrian Luthier who makes quality wares, I don't see the difference , except maybe in a minute way....but then again..I'm just the newbie :)

Thanks for the help!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:47 AM

It used to be simple I guess: Turkish were shorter scale, smaller bowl, tuned a whole tone higher, sharper buzzier timbre. Egyptians were wflamboyant but less finely finished, with an archetypal Arabic fatter richer timbre, bigger, full length scale, tuned lower. Iraqis either had floating bridge or extra course, or bass string on top, or traditional Arabic. Syrian often single hole Nahat style, with many regional differences. But now these distinctions are more blurred, Luttgutt for instance has several custom Syrian ouds all short scale and smaller body for comfort, but Arabic and not Turkish in timbre/tuning. So there are truly many ways to go. I don't know what your friend is talking about, WHY he says to stay away from those Egyptians and Syrians. Maybe he's thinking of the typical fruit-market instruments?

Generally if you go bona fide Turkish you get a Turkish timbre, even if you tune it down to Arabic the Turkish tone seems to "stick". But many Turkish Luthiers make deliberately Arabic ouds, as well as Turkish ones. There are now some gorgeous and richly finished pro Egyptians, even though the professional models have been traditionally more simple and elegant (not as richly decorated).

You really have more choices now than ever before, it's the Golden Age of the Oud again. If you are prepared to spend $1000 or so, you can have anything you want. Many beginners are not sure they can spend that kind of money, and if you read up on this forum you'll see that this is tricky, how to get the best you can get within your budget, some will tell you it's a waste of money trying to lowball, others have different ideas.

One important thing is that nobody that I know, that we see anyway, among the people who approached this forum wanting to discover the oud have backed out and lost interest, it's quite the opposite. People go deeper and deeper, exploring the traditional music that the oud is associated with, a whole different world of scales and modes that doesn't exist in Western Music. And people want the beautiful instruments that todays fine luthiers are making. That said, it's still not clear if you're better off really going all out on that first oud, or if it's better to buy a more modest one so you can learn more before you buy your dream instrument. If you are seriously playing, you must already have an instrument, so I'm not sure what applies to you. Either way there is a lot of good advice to be found here, so welcome and keep exploring!
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kassidari  
I asked a friend from Palestine if he had any suggestions on what Ouds are the best.
Basically the way he put it to me, is that its best to stay away form the Egyptian & Syrian models, and go for the Turkish.

This is a real slander ! A Palestinian advising to stay away from Syrian & Egyptian ouds ? This is like an Italian advises to stay away from Strad. ! What a real petty ! Pls. tell your friend to stay away from ouds in general, and to stop advising you in particular . Invite him to join us in this forum, where he might have a chance to learn something about ouds, and Palestinian ouds & luthiers in particular .

Turkish ouds produce Turkish-like-sounds, no matter what the luthier may make or say . A Turkish oud shall always speak Turkish, even if it manages to "learn" some Arabic.

If you like Arabic ouds, go for a Syrian or Lebanese or Palestinian or Egyptian non-commercial ouds. You may have a look into these sites also :

http://www.mauriceouds.com
http://www.samir-ouds.com
http://www.oudnazihghadban.com
http://www.oudsukar.com
http://fathy-ameen.com/index_en.html
http://www.wissamjoubran.com/en

Good Luck
Yours indeed
Alfaraby
Kassidari
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 01:49 PM
Wow!

You guys Rock!
Totally answered my questions.
I'll definitely check out those links as well!
Now on to finding a teacher!
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kassidari  
Now on to finding a teacher

Location ?

Kassidari
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:08 PM

I'm in Santa Clara, which is the South Bay Area, in California. Basically underneath San Jose.

I saw someone in the "looking for teacher" thread that was also from Santa Clara, but so far, no response from them on their findings.

Kassidari
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:27 PM

Quote:

That said, it's still not clear if you're better off really going all out on that first oud, or if it's better to buy a more modest one so you can learn more before you buy your dream instrument.

I'm starting to feel the same way about guitar (as I play guitar as well). I'm no opposed to dropping down a couple extra bills, even on a lower end model, as long as it plays well, and won't fall to pieces. Lets say , fingers crossed this doesn't happen, that a year from now I fall away from playing Oud, or start to focus less on it, then I'd definitely want something of quality I could come back to in a time. But I do see the point. For a short time, I played bagpipes, and the buying process was almost exactly the same.

Lots of family owned Luthiers/Shops that shipped overseas. In fact, ordering bagpipes was very much the same in that you had a choice of certain woods and inlays and such. Sort of nice to I'm in vaguely familiar territory.

Thank you again for the help too!

-nik
Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 08:43 AM

I am not a big oud player, just started a few months ago, I used to play guitar for 12 years (self learning), the only advice I can give you about Ouds is to feel them, I tried almost a Oud from every country, it has nothing to do with who is better who is not, it's about feeling and sound that you want to have everyday with you, the Oud has to be an extension of your body, unlike the guitar, the Oud wants care and love, look at the way you hold it, it's a hug, so treat it like a lady that you want to hug everyday, you have to choose a look/style, decoration and the most important thing the sound, you have also to look for technicalities like fixed/floating bridge, string length, tuning C/D/F? and read a lot of this forum because you have an outstanding set of oud lovers (makers/players) and they provide excellent advises.

My personal advice will be to buy a Sukar Oud a good one (one of the best quality/price), learn with it and after that you choose your Oud.

Enjoy!
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:55 AM

Hello every one,
you should also have a look some other oud makers like Micheal Moussa, his ouds are very clean and not that expensive ...very Egyptian style...

Jameel Abraham is an excellent oud maker, very clean, some of his work is very fine...beautifuly done.....great future indeed if he carries on with his oud making.

Wolfgang Fruh, could be one of the best oud maker in the World, however he is expensive and the waiting list is up to 2 years..... sure he is the best person to make a copy of a nahat oud......

Matthias Wagner, an excellent instrument maker, have seen some of his ouds recently and I did like the copy of his Syrian oud....
I am sure we have great more artists who can make beatiful instruments....
All the best wishes,
Adel

Go To Top