Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: string action
stingerz
Oud Maniac

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 04:21 AM
string action

hi guys....how r u guys doin? hp all is well...
i wanna know how do i reduce my string action on my egypt oud...how i wish oud comes with a truss rod!!

first of all i was thinkin of takin d bridge out and sand it till it s d right height but i m afraid tt i will destroy the paint work on d face of d oud..... or can i jus make another hole at b bridge? jus below d existin 1?so tt d string goes "in" a new hole..

pls advise...

:)
Franck
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 06:39 AM

Drilling new holes will help, but be careful not get your string to close to the soundboard.

You could also sand the fingerboard near the nut if you have enough thickness to do so.

Another (more drastic) way is to saw the neck where it joins the body (you don't saw it off but about halfway through from the bottom of the oud). Then you glue it back so the gap you created with the saw (be it a fret saw, not too thick) will bring back the action a little lower (kind of like what a truss rod would do). You should let a luthier deal with this procedure.

Good luck
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 07:31 AM

This discussion is currantly going on here :)

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10130

Welcome to the forum

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 07:49 AM

Yes, this is an ongoing problem for ouds with no neck adjustment. What it's coming to is that there are several ways to drop the action a small amount, you can use several methods at once, or just one, say lowering the holes in the bridge. One one of the least destructive ways we are thinking about is to get a little board of hard wood and make a fingerboard that tapers towards the nut and glue it on top of the existing fingerboard.
stingerz
Oud Maniac

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 08:39 PM

i was thinkin.... mayb the oud is made in tt way? cos the person who does the oud would know better i guess....
i was thinkin of sawing the neck thru , then i ll pun some rose wood or walnut wood under neath the neck and i ll put d existin neck on top of it and put some wood glue but i guess the wood would be super thin...a super thin plank of rosewood ?..so i will nt hav to drill a hole on d bridge...is it possible?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 10:54 PM

I guess. I'll leave such complicated woodwork to you experts. Me, I'm working on an adjustable neck, you can see it in prototype form below. The astute observer will note the microcontroller circuit board between the Formica resonator and the neck pull-rods. The fingerboard will be reinstalled as soon as we can find a place for it.

BrokenLute_38.jpg - 95kB
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 01:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
The astute observer will note the microcontroller circuit board between the Formica resonator and the neck pull-rods.

:D Does that control the onboard mic simulator and octave divider as well?:D

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
The fingerboard will be reinstalled as soon as we can find a place for it.
:D
Just replace it with an accelerometer-controled note generator and a ribbon controller...:cool::D

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Go To Top