Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Term "Oud Master" whats it mean?
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 4-17-2010 at 09:27 AM

Oud Master? there is better...the best oud player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AJ5Hz-mJZ4
:xtreme:

JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:01 AM

Lutt, I must say you're confusing. Im sorry to say, but I feel like I have wasted my time with you.
Its great that you're open in your musical tastes, but unfortunately you are part of this bad quality control. We are talking oud, oud mastery infact and not jazz. Its great oud can appear in jazz, but there is a language there which people have created over the years for the oud and it should not be forgotten due to poor technical ability or lack of respect.

I dont care if you dont like Monirs Asfour, but that is proof that he has musical pieces, and even if its a study, well its a study and he has made more of an impact on the oud playing world, which Rabih hasnt. If he's impacted on jazz (which I stil think he hasnt) but if so, then thats jazz and not oud. And thats what this post is about. Oud mastery. Not compositional jazz mastery. But mastery of things associated with the oud.
Your other tastes, also might indicate that you havent got the ear for Arabic oud playing, and you cant see the finer things to do with oud. Tone, technique, soul, phrasing. You listed jazz artists but no oud artists. You say music is music, and I say to you Oud is Oud, it deserves time, respect and if is to move forward with quality, quality players have to be recognised and given the job of expanding it properly into other areas. Not people with poor technique and good marketing...
Anyway, Its been great discussing all of this with you, but we're on two different musical planets...I retire from this one.

Retired James.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JamesOud  

Your other tastes, also might indicate that you havent got the ear for Arabic oud playing, and you cant see the finer things to do with oud.

I'll be more then happy to put an end to this discusson with you, James!

Not because we disagree, but because you keep on judging people the way you do (like in this quote above)!

Note that I have not once said a bad word about YOU!

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top