Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jameel soft case!
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 08:13 AM
Jameel soft case!

Hi guys!

I just wrote this as an answer to Mehran. But I think it is so important that it desearves a new topic :)
P.s. Specially important for those who have problems with joints, or right before a concert!

I found out that Jameel's soft case has a fantastic "hidden" quality to it! The handle is so well placed and balanced that you barely feel you are carrying it.

A couple of monthes ago I had a concert in a castle-like place way out in the forest. We could not drive the last part of the road because of snow, so we had to walk.
And I had of course a back pack, so I had to carry the oud!

And that is how I found out about the "super" handle :)

Thanks Jameel :-)

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
Cocomaan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 09:38 AM

Here's a question for you oud enthusiasts, as long as we're on the subject of cases...

When I was in Cairo, a friend of mine got himself a new oud, and had a soft case for it that had a shoulder strap, ie, he could carry it on his back and the strap went across his chest.

Well, my friend was a little too confident in his soft case's ability to protect his oud and was walking down the street during rush hour without a care in the world. Unfortunately, Cairo traffic being what it is, a minibus came by and BAM, slammed into the neck of the oud, which was hanging out over the street by only a few inches. As you might imagine, it was broken cleanly off at the neck. He got it repaired, but it was really sad.

Are there such things as hard cases which you can carry on your back? I used to have a trombone case
http://www.andysmusiconline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Trom...
that looked a lot like this and was "shaped" to the trombone and would prevent most accidents. The shape of the case made it much easier to carry than my oud case, which is the standard fake leather with the red interior, and is gigantic and unweildy and definitely not something you could carry on your back.

It's hard to find something similar to my old trombone case and my guess is because ouds are in all shapes and sizes. Any ideas? Here is a link to something similar, but it's going to be hard to be sure that it fits my oud.
http://www.tulumba.com/storeitem.asp?ic=HO100074PV834

I am extremely paranoid ever since my friend's accident, but I still want something that isn't gigantic.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 08:55 PM

I 100% agree with Luggut !!!!

The Jameel case is the BEST around. It is a well-tought out design. I carried my oud all over the world with no issues what so ever!
Thank you, Jameel for sharing your impressive talent.
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 08:33 AM

I just got one of Jameel's great cases recently. It is by far the best carrying case for the oud that I have come across. Its design it brilliant and it makes going from gig to gig so easy! No more bumping the oud into doorjams and my hands are free to carry mic stands, etc. And the oud is well protected but the case is very light...good looking, too. Thanks Jameel, what a great product!

Our music is like an ocean...
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-21-2010 at 10:19 AM

Thanks everyone! Glad you like them.

DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 05:34 AM

I'd just like to add my admiration to this thread.

No more lugging heavy hardcases and then trying to play with a right hand that feels like it's about to fall off (though I still use a hard case to keep my oud at home and for any travel that's likely to be dangerous).

It's completely overdesigned - in the best possible sense of the word. The cordura shell is practically bullet-proof, the zips look like caterpillar tracks and the padding is so thick I'm tempted to snuggle up inside, zip it up and have a snooze.

Note for lutenists - it also fits my 8-course renaissance lute.

Jameel has done a great service to oud players in designing this.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 11:38 AM

Hi Dave

Glad you and oud are snug.
What colour did you go for? just wanted to check so when they next meet they don't clash or I walk away with yours by mistake!!

See you soon.

Kelly
ibn sina
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 05:41 AM

Hi everybody,

I just returned from a trip to Europe with my oud in a Jameel soft case and it was great. I only had to put it in the airplane closet once, but no problem. I got the grey case, which I've been very happy with. Plus you can tuck your passport in the front zipper section for safekeeping--you're not going to forget your oud, are you?

best,
Kiki
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-28-2010 at 12:04 PM

Yes, I will add my thumbs up to the splendid case. Just received one, and it is a wonderful piece of work.
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 9-9-2010 at 12:51 AM

I’ve received my red case! This is the best soft case in the world!
Fantastic design and American quality manufacture.
I usually travel by train and I can’t stand any more the big and heavy (5 Kg) Ghadban’s hard case.
Thank you very much, Jameel, for your effort and dedication!

Go To Top