Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Required Skills For Oud Building?
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 10:16 AM
The Required Skills For Oud Building?

Hi guys,

Since joining this forum it has been amazing to see the process of oud building. Many skilled craftsmen on this forum (too many to list) have provided amazing accounts of their builds, often highlighting the different steps in construction. Like many others, these accounts have given me an impetus to build an oud....eventually.

Like those craftsmen i want to build ouds.

Unlike those craftsmen, i have absolutely NO experience in oud making.

My question is what kind of woodworking skills are required for making ouds?

What kind of background do many of these makers have in woodworking? Is there a particular form that suites oud making? Ive read on the khalaf oud website that he had a history of woodworking before making ouds.

I ask this because I wonder if is there a form of woodworking where the required skills relate well to oud making, then it may be of interest to those like myself who have the eventual aim of building an instrument but want to develop skills before approaching the task. Not all of us have the chance to go shadow under luthiers, but it is possible to find woodworking courses in most cities!

Of course i presume all the skills needed for oud making can only be picked up by actually building an oud. However I feel it would be a better use of time and effort to learn some skills so any mistakes made would be a result of inexperience with ouds rather than an inexperience of using wood.

I would send this message to individual luthiers, but since there are so many skilled people on this forum ill just post it here.

So luthiers, woodworkers, those with just build as a hobby, let us know your personal experiences that have lead you to instrument manufacture.

Regards
Mehran

Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 11:34 PM

Hi Mehran,

how about starting with a course/curriculum for hobby carpenters to learn basic woodworking skills. There are also many woodworking forums on the Net.

It might also be worth learning a bit about guitar and lute building. It's also worth searching google ... there are many videos about luthiery and woodworking in general.

After that you might buy the BOOK of Dr. Oud.

That's how I myself would start.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 12:41 AM

Not sure where you're based, Mehran, but David van Edwards does a lutemaking summer school which might be of interest:

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/summers.htm
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 01:03 AM

The book definitely seems worth getting.

The lutemaking course would be ideal, just seen on his website that hes fully booked for this year, but theres always next year.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 01:23 PM

Perhaps you could persuade him they need to build an oud next year?

Go To Top