Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Important news about Sukar electrics
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 01:53 PM
Important news about Sukar electrics

hi guys

i dont know how up 2 date i am, but it seems to be really important. Mr. Sukar has started to make a new generation of electrics. the more important part is that he said he's gonna stop making the previous bowl-free electric ouds. so if u love those ouds n planned to buy one, do it soon. coz they're gonna become unavailable soon.

the new ones have a flat bowl. exactly like spanish Lauds. the bowl, neck n pegs are made of fiber glass. because of the bowl, it can be played without an amp, its disadvantage is that silent practice cannot be done anymore. it has a great sound volume.

i bought mine for $813. cheaper models may become available. i just love this monster!!!

regards

front.jpg - 48kB

back.jpg - 40kB

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 02:26 PM

Looks great, I've always disliked the "toilet bowl" ouds. Looks like Sukar is getting in high gear all around.

It seems like the front is traditional Sukar. So the back of the oud is primarily fiberglass-like, like an Ovation guitar?

http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=choosing

I remember when Ovation introduced the "fiberglass bowl guitar" back, in the late 1960s, there was a lot of resistance, but they sounded so clear, loud and bright that they were soon accepted, by MOST people. These guitars with an oud-like bowl have worked surprisingly well unamplified, or on stage with active electronics. Ouddly odd-like?

Ovation12Back.jpg - 21kB

Can you explain how the Sukar's pegs and pegbox are made? Is there a chance you could show more close-ups?

How does it sound acoustically? Is it pleasing that way? Can you put up a sound file?

How does the pickup sound? Have you tried it in a feedback-prone situation?

What is the model number of this animal?

spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 12:34 AM

well i dont know what do u mean of "how". its exactly like an acoustic oud's peg box, but made of fiber glass.
Untitled.jpg - 73kB
Untitled1.jpg - 49kB
i like the sound. it seems like u r plucking a lil close to the bridge. i guess its really great for flamenco. tomorrow ill have my dsl line again, ill put a video or mp3 then.

dont know what is a feedback- prone situation:D. can u explain? but while using high volume level on the pick up n the amp, i tried singing in the bowl. nothin' happened. it didnt get my sound.

i got 2 new sukar ouds yesterday. an acoustic and an electric. both of them have new identify cards which are smaller than those stuck on my previous ouds. no model number is written.
Untitled2.jpg - 98kB
the important thing which i still dont know is that how strings are tied on the bridge. its neither like a fixed nor like a floating bridge. i will ask my teacher soon. but is there any guess?
Untitled4.jpg - 100kB

Ali
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 06:05 AM

Hi
It'll be great if you put a sound file of your New electric (W/ & Without/ Amp ).
I am very curious to know how these guys sound like.
Thanks
Ali
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 06:45 AM

Never seen these babies before :)
(even though I have bought 6 ouds directly from Sukar only during the last one and a half year!!)

I like the looks... and would love to hear.. please :D

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 07:30 AM

ok ill update the sound files tomorrow, u have my word!!!

yea these ouds are most recent designs. he hasnt even made the hard case yet n promised me to send me one when its ready(like previous electrics, the oud is sold with the hard case).

one thing i didnt mention is that the neck is adjustable!!!

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 11:55 AM

Feedback is when you play an amplified instrument very loud and in front of the speakers. The sound from the speakers shakes the oud and that gets picked up by the pickup. Then you get a growing howl at the frequency that is most strongly vibrated, often around 200 Hz. It is very hard to avoid with a normal oud, as Luttgutt said, either you cannot be heard or you are fighting feedback! This is why those frame ouds are so popular. The Ovation fiberglass bowl guitars were designed with clever electronics and work well on stage.

I would guess the strings run through the saddle and are tied on the back.
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 10:33 PM

i tried it. no howl in the clean mode. but there is some howling when i set the overdriven mode n set the both gain n volume level on high level(i guess that always happen).

here are the sound files:

http://www.4shared.com/file/FHqfg6ID/Acoustic.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/suhi3NZ5/amped.html

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 10:44 PM

Hey , not bad for an electric, a bit of reverb and eq would do wonders, not too bad acoustic sound either, though the bass is lacking a bit, at least on those soundfiles, I suppose it's better in the flesh.

It's probably just that it's new and needs to be played a bit to open up but it sounds like the soundboard is either quite thick or very heavily braced.

nice one, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 11:35 AM

Thanks Spyblaster!

I like the accoustic sound on it!

When it comes to the el. I agree with Sazi.
But you mostly played on one string, so it might be better than what I could hear from it now.

The improtant thing is that it works on stage!!
Let us know, please...

P.s. what is the scale? string length?

Regards

Thanks again

spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 12:34 PM

ur welcome Luttgutt

electric sound depends on the pick up settings n amp settings. i dont remember the pick up settings, but the amp was set to clean mode n no effects were used. pls mention these. and the piece i played with electric mode was played on all treble strings(F-C-G).

"The improtant thing is that it works on stage!!
Let us know, please..."

i dont know if its either a scientific problem or english problem, but i really cant understand what u wanna know :D and ill tell ya the string length as soon as i get the oud back from my friend(every one fall in love with it ;))

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by spyblaster  

"The improtant thing is that it works on stage!!
Let us know, please..."

i really cant understand what u wanna know :D

Well, simply because I am considering getting one myself!
And the important thing for me is that it is loud enough ON STAGE, with no feedback.
Sitting home playing alone almost never generates feeding, since one never plays that high, you are playing alone, no monitor etc...

I am going to pay Sukar a visit in the summer anyway, so...

Thanks again!

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 02:44 PM

What we are all wondering is if you play it very loud and in front of the speakers, does it go into uncontrollable howl?

You can test this at home if you have a powerful amp and don't live next door to a police station or an old man with a shotgun. Place the oud right in front of the speaker, turn up the amp to 10 or 11, and play a bit before the armed forces arrive. If you have an oud with a normal pickup, confirm that your amp setup drives the normal oud into howl, i.e. that it's loud enough to simulate live playing on stage, then try the new electric. You should be able to play it much louder without howl.

After you deal with the collateral damage, the lynch mob and your injuries, and return home, replace any windows that have cracked, as they will tend to fall out during the next windstorm anyway.

THAT is the question.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
What we are all wondering is if you play it very loud and in front of the speakers, does it go into uncontrollable howl?

You can test this at home if you have a powerful amp and don't live next door to a police station or an old man with a shotgun. Place the oud right in front of the speaker, turn up the amp to 10 or 11, and play a bit before the armed forces arrive. If you have an oud with a normal pickup, confirm that your amp setup drives the normal oud into howl, i.e. that it's loud enough to simulate live playing on stage, then try the new electric. You should be able to play it much louder without howl.

After you deal with the collateral damage, the lynch mob and your injuries, and return home, replace any windows that have cracked, as they will tend to fall out during the next windstorm anyway.

THAT is the question.

:):D:applause::bounce::xtreme:

spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 06:41 PM

i told u, no howl ever. he used the best pick up available on my oud. i havent ever took it to the stage, but i took it to our band practice n everyone said: reduce the damn volume.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-8-2010 at 10:22 PM

GREAT! Now everybody wants one.

Go To Top