Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ARDENT DEBATES SEEM MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN ...
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 07:42 AM
ARDENT DEBATES SEEM MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN ...

I posted two identical announcements to the Forums.
One of them seems to have ended by reciprocal jokes (has been clicked 751 times so far) while the other seems to continue if Mike does not shut it down (has been clicked 1315 times)

I wonder if any ardent debates attract peole's interest more than any calmer ones. Of course some of the clicks have been made by the involving individuals but it is still interesting. 1315-751 = 564 is a significant difference, isn't it?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 11:41 AM

An interesting statistic Faruk. I sympathise with your dilemma.

When I started coming on these forums, one thing that struck me was that, while it was a very friendly place, it lacked a little controversy. Comments were always enthusiastically complementary - be they on luthiers' new ouds, member's recordings, CD reviews, whatever. I thought, wouldn't it be nice if every once in a while, people would express different (though respectful) opinions.

I've changed my mind.

While the robust exchange of views is a great thing, I'm not sure internet forums of this sort are conducive to it. What tends to happen I think, is that the same old debates get recycled again and again, with the same old arguments and views don't really change. What usually happens is that the belligerent parties come to some sort of an understanding, usually exchange a joke or two (with a generous helping of smiley faces of course) and waltz off into the sunset together, leaving the same argument to a whole new generation of belligerents in about a year's time. I'm sure you've noticed a strange sense of deja vu in that debate raging on your thread.

I find the best way to cope is to come on this great resource every now and then, post something if you really feel the urge, and ignore these controversies. After all, they're only virtual, and if you ignore them, they do go away. Just watch - this thread may also go postal, but I'll not be back on it.

I appreciate it's trickier for you as some of these arguments might pose threats to your reputation as a luthier and therefore need to be corrected, but responding to ill-informed rants can be a tricky path!

Sorry to sound a slightly cynical note on this superb forum, but I'm starting to miss some of the good old measured and above all knowledgeable (unlike me) contributors, who seem to have taken to the long grass, even if an argument every now and then does spice things up.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 02:47 PM

Dear Dave,

I highly appreciate your insight. Your words distilled out of a vast understanding and wisdom. They are very precious.

Please show tolerance to my attitude showing impatience. Yes, "they are only virtual", sure they go away but they stamp some bad signs in the minds of others.

I think that, today opinions are controlled and manipulated by virtual designings more than that has ever been. I am afraid that all those virtual things go away in time but conditioned opinions stay.

With my deep respects.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 10:26 PM

Hi Faruk... I don't think you have anything to worry about - concerning some people getting conditioned against you --- in fact, all this bickering, and even the negative stuff simply draws more and more attention to you, and by default you simply become more and more well known - - - and those that "try" to hurt you are simply helping you, believe it or not, even with nasty comments!

[John Clease said that Monty Python's movie HOLY GRAIL would have just flopped had it not been for the Catholic church banning it. . . . because then suddenly everyone noticed it and HAD to see it! Ozzy Osborne also admits to the same phenomenon - after biting the head of a DOVE (not a premeditated act) out of drunkenness and anger at a record company meeting - his fame and sales skyrocketed due to the publicity and NEGATIVE contravercy.]

so you have to be only very happy about all this attention - even if it is seemingly "negative". People attacking you only proves that you are someone WORTH attacking, and in a stupid and sick say - this helps you very much. That's a weird fact.

Now, on to the business of day to day life. . . . nobody finds it fun to be attacked, even when it is actually good for business. Personally I think you would be better off simply to not respond at all when this happens. First of all, your work speaks for itself, and secondly, there are plenty who will come to your defense instantly.

What I do when this occationally happens to me - occationally I get aggressively attacked on the Fretless guitar forum (http://www.unfretted.com)... I used to fight back until as Dave pointed out, I realised that this is totally pointless and only makes matters worse. What I do, is simply and completely avoid this forum for a period of time when things get hot - I absolutely do not allow myself to read posts from those particular people who are the known attackers - or I simply avoid that forum entirely....

farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 11:25 PM

I totally agree with you and Dave, my friend.

BTW, I am sad that you have encountered that loose neck of Ragmakamtar. Take it easy Eddi.

Ta ta ...until they understand and settle down:wavey:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 01:04 AM

how much I wish your amazing and friendly workshop would be just around the corning right now, to help me set my troubles in order. . . . . but alas I now permanently carry around with me the wisdom I gained from my time with you, and I am confident I will survive alone now in the big world - even with primative means.

by the way, my new ragmakamtar design which as you suggested, simply employs an enormous soundboard - and finally gives me a real oud-like sound on the oud neck. . . . and I am simply using 4 ladder braces so perhaps your brace tuning method will work on it?

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 01:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by farukturunz  

Hmm.. this sounds to me pretty much like the language crimilnals use in a gangster film :shrug:

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Luttgutt  
Quote: Originally posted by farukturunz  

Hmm.. this sounds to me pretty much like the language crimilnals use in a gangster film :shrug:

Mr Türünz clearly has a better understanding of vernacular English than you.
"Ta-ta" or "Ta Ta", or "Tata" means goodbye. The term is used in many English speaking countries. The Oxford English Dictionary. says this is "a version of 'goodbye' used playfully by adults" and offers 1837 as the year it came into the language.

I would ask that you choose your words more carefully, as this type of unnecessary provocation will not be tolerated.

Greg Marsh

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 02:46 PM

"will not be tolerated" ??? Respectfully I ask: After all this don't you think nature can safely run it's course?
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 04:37 PM

I thought it was "ta-da." ;)
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 04:52 PM

Ta-da is more of an exclamation upon unvailing something new in my experience. While I've only heard it a few times ta-ta is a valid though less than well known goodbye phrase.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 09:11 PM

"ta ta" means "Dad" in Czech :))

littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 12:21 AM

'ta ta' is the noise a trumpet makes, if played correctly.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by littleseb  
'ta ta' is the noise a trumpet makes, if played correctly.

TATA is also a company that makes Camions in India :cool:

...and there is a Czech rock group called the TATA BOYZ :shrug:

littleseb
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 12:35 AM

i tried to kickstart my moped this morning, but all i got out of it was a miserable 'ta ta', rather than the desired 'tackatackatacka'. hence i had to ride my pushbike and was half an hour late for work.....
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 03:38 AM

Hi everybody,

please calm down ... no need to worry ... the market will heal itself ;)

Let's compare Türünz ouds to Gibson guitars. A long time ago Gibson raised the prices for it's wonderful instruments more and more. And what happened? Some day the market for high priced guitars got saturated and Gibson introduced lower price models, that are also very good.

And besides that, there are many other brands, that are as good as Gibson.

So ... no need to worry or to get angry or attack anybody ... it's just a matter of time ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:19 AM

And another thing will happen that we may or may not want to happen with ouds: the Chinese.

I have a vintage Gibson ES335, a Martin D-18 and a Fender Precision bass, all from the 1960s, and they are considered primo and are worth some serious money. The point is, Turunz oud owners, hang on to your instruments until you are old.

For a project I needed a short scale fretless bass, a five string fretted with steel strings and I wanted a fretless 6 string. By knowing what to look for and where, I got Chinese Electric basses that met ALL the requirements, including great looks, for about $120 each. In truth they actually are no worse than my primo vintage instruments.

They even make ancient instruments like viola da gambas. The oud is not a tiny market, the Chinese will apear at some point. We might want to think about how we will relate to that!
Alnoud85
Oud Addict

Mood: سماء الانغام

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:31 AM

If you type the name of any well know product in the world in to google followed by the word review you will find all diffrent views, opinions list of pros, cons and feedbacks which thousands of people view regardless of it being positive or negative.

With all due respect to everyone who commented on the "Ardent debate", It is the place of the market to decide what is reasonable, desirable and acceptable in regards to any product, not the manufaturer close friends and or family members.

After all this is a oud forum and we were discussing an oud in a polite, proper and respectable manner.

Yassir Alnoud:wavey:
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
And another thing will happen that we may or may not want to happen with ouds: the Chinese.

Wasn't it a few months ago, that someone here in the forums found the first Chinese ouds on Ebay? I'm not quite shure.

And what about Turkish ouds? Aren't there already cheap factory build models on the market?

PS: Besides these facts, Faruk Türünz is some kind of pioneer with his double soundboards. BUT others will follow. I expect, that the oud will develop further very soon ... the more popular it gets, the more development will take place. Who knows, if adjustable necks won't become standard one time or maybe adjustable bridges?

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:47 AM

There is one famous oud maker (not mentioning names) that was approached by a Chinese company who offered to build for him in China, with computerized machines, all the oud parts. This maker refused.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  
This maker refused.

But maybe another won't ... some time.

Because the oud's popularity still rises, I expect the market to get devided into mass market and high end market ... maybe traditional too.

Isn't that already the case in Turkey? I'm not shure.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:54 AM

Maybe more people will make their own ouds?

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
Maybe more people will make their own ouds?

Possible, but who will, when good quality becomes available cheap? Only enthusiasts.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 05:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aymara  
Only enthusiasts.

That'd be us then...

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
littleseb
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 05:52 AM

when i started my personal oud journey i would have been happy if there would have been a cheap mass-produced made-in-china-oud with a fairly decent sound quality. that would have safed me looking for a semi-decent sukar for months on end and would have helped me to decide whether i actually wanted to learn properly.
but that's off-topic i guess, and i seem to remember that there was some sort of threat on this a while back....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top