Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Do you like Oriental Jazz?
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 5-12-2010 at 12:02 AM
Do you like Oriental Jazz?

Anouar Brahem - Stopover At Djibouti (Live)

Taken from his current album The Astounding Eyes Of Rita (ECM, 2009) ... I love this album :applause: ... highly recommended!

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 12:43 AM

if you are asking for personal opinions - my quick answer would be (very generally speaking) "no, I don't like it." [although I LOVE Anouor, and I like Rabi also very very much].

Inconsistent answer, right?

My strong feeling is that if you want to mix Oriental music and Jazz you REALLY better know what you are doing, otherwise it will be horrible, which is IMHO usually the case with this genre.

My thoughts are that the melodic basis of both these types of music are polar opposites: Jazz takes Western Harmony to a highly sophisticated level. Oriental music is based on sophisticated INTONATION and linear melodic development (MAQAM). Western Harmony relies of 12 tone equal-temperament which allows for vertical poly-melodic (harmonic) structure, but at the expense of microtonal intonation for the most part.

If you want to fit these two together you will come up with something new but something will get sacraficed in the process.... usually it is the Oriental side for two reasons, in my opinion:
1- Due largely to post-colonial attitudes and practices Western music is globally considered THE superior music and it is taught all over the world
2- Western audiences are more rich.

therefore almost no jazz musician alive has more than the foggiest idea of what a maqam really is. . . . whereas a huge portion of Oriental musicians are also fully trained in Western music.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 02:05 AM

Complex subject. Much of what you say, Edward, I can agree with, but I think the importance of spreading, however thinly, some of the Arabic Musical culture in the world, is such that I will tolerate vast cases of bad taste just so Western audiences come to SEE and WANT TO SEE the oud, dumbek, etc as normal musical instruments. I don't necessarily go so far as to LISTEN to that crap.

The development of harmony and polyphony was crucial. And Sharki music WILL adopt both, the question is just how. The symphonic "oud concertos" and the giant orchestras of Middle eastern instruments playing a single monophonic line don't do ANYTHING for me. We, as musicians and composers, have to do better.

But the specific cut you cued up, Chris, happens to sound nice. I would have to listen with good headphones to hear the detail.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 02:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Complex subject. ... I don't necessarily go so far as to LISTEN to that crap.

Crap? What is crap? Someone's crap is another one's "revelation" ;)

And please ... this Jazz is definitely not crap.

But I can understand Edward's opinion, but every coin has two sides, as we say in Germany ;)

No matter, if you like it or not, this is an approach to make the Western world interested in arabic music/instruments, to let arabic music sound more appealing to Westerner's ears, which are not used to quarter tones.
A further example might be the Trio Joubran, who also let arabic music sound more Western ... or let's say they mix styles to reach the Western audience.

One might say ... huuu, they only want to make money and the Western audience is richer than the Arabic. The other side of the medal is, that Westerners learn, that there is more about the Arabic world than terrorism and Islam ... friendly people, interesting culture, etc.. I think the later is very important right now to get over Racism and bad political propaganda!

Quote:
But the specific cut you cued up, Chris, happens to sound nice. I would have to listen with good headphones to hear the detail.

If you have a chance, listen to the album, which is Hi-Fi par excellance, though some people say, that ECM uses too much reverb in their productions ... as always just a matter of taste.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 04:06 AM

The word "Oriental Jazz" has become known in the early eighties with the group of Ziad Rahbani, with Toufic Farroukh on sax and Abboud Al Saadi on bass, there was also a oud player in the band but can't remember his name.
They produced many albums, the most "jazzy" of them being "Houdou' Nesbi" (Accalmie Relative, Rlativly calm).
These are modern versions in a Big band rearrangement and different musicians, no more oud but a Qanoun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8EhHN7nRQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLKcSkx2Gc

Ziad Rahbani later on dismissed the term "Oriental Jazz" and started to get angry when hearing it, now he says that this music is just Jazz that happened to be composed by an Oriental guy and that there is no such a thing as Oriental Jazz.
This is to my knowledge the opinion of the "father" of Oriental Jazz.

I am not sure that Anouar Brahem considers himself as a jazzman, he likes to emphasis the "modal" approach when describing his own compositions. But a CD has to be put on a shelf under a genre label and I understand if he prefers to be put under Jazz instead of "World Music".

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 04:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8EhHN7nRQ&feature=related

Ziad Rahbani later on dismissed the term "Oriental Jazz" and started to get angry when hearing it, now he says that this music is just Jazz that happened to be composed by an Oriental guy and that there is no such a thing as Oriental Jazz.

This is very pleasant modal jazz IMHO... but there is absolutely nothing at all Oriental in it except a tiny bit of riq. So I think Zaid has described himself correctly - and those that label the 'father of OJ' don't really know what they are talking about. IMHO :)

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 04:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  

I am not sure that Anouar Brahem considers himself as a jazzman, he likes to emphasis the "modal" approach when describing his own compositions. But a CD has to be put on a shelf under a genre label and I understand if he prefers to be put under Jazz instead of "World Music".

In my opinion Brahem's music has almost nothing in common with both Jazz and Oriental music. . . . IMHO he plays totally in his own way - yes, bases largely on modes... but not Oriental modes, more like Gregorian modes. I absolutely love his feel and sound---- but I find it irritating when he is refered to as an Oriental musician (meaning, playing "oriental music").... and of course he is certainly not playing Jazz, unless you use the term "jazz" to describe an enormous variety of improvised music.

[my opinions only :) ]

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  
... and of course he is certainly not playing Jazz, ...

And what do you call THIS? ;)

PS: I think collaborations like this and the fact, that his albums are released on a famous Jazz label, often lead to the conclusion, that he is a Jazzer.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:52 AM

Are you asking me to explain why I don't consider Anouar to be playing jazz?

tchandler
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 08:04 AM

I had the good fortune to interview Brahem after this album came out, and one thing he said struck me: he doesn't purposely compose in non-quarter tone modes to accommodate western instruments/players, rather it's just the kind of mode that he likes and naturally gravitates towards.

I think a discussion of what is/isn't jazz is going to go nowhere fast! That's been going on since Jelly Roll Morton and nobody (except maybe Wynton in his own mind) has put it to rest!
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:03 AM

Are you asking me to explain why I don't consider Anouar to be playing jazz?

I just wanted to show, why many consider him being a Jazzer.

Quote: Originally posted by tchandler  
I had the good fortune to interview Brahem ...

Very interesting interview quote.

Quote:
I think a discussion of what is/isn't jazz is going to go nowhere fast!

Shure.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 04:57 AM
Amir ElSaffar

Do you know AMIR ELSAFFAR ?

He is an Iraqian/American jazz trumpetist and Iraqi maqam singer and santour player.

For me, it is the first time I listen to such a music. A try of mix between jazz and arabic music where oriental music doesn't 'lost' anything to seduce the western listeners.

His music is based on the traditional 'Iraqi maqam' that let a great part to improvisation.

As a musical library worker, I haven listened a lot of jazz-orient music. The well known Brahem, Abou Khalil but also Ahmed Abdul Malik, Avishai Cohen, Dhafer Youssef, Roman Bunka, Ibrahim Maalouf, John Zorn... And for me the work of Amir Elsaffar is the best result I've ever heard.

In the Amir Elsaffar MySpace, listen especially to Menba'. And also the other tunes.

Amir Elsaffar website.

Robert
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 05:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Microber  

In the Amir Elsaffar MySpace, listen especially to Menba'.

Nice tip, Robert.

BTW ... in his MySpace friendlist you'll find Brahim Fribgane ... I like his Sahara very much as his East & West too.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aymara  
Anouar Brahem - Stopover At Djibouti (Live)

by the way.... I missed this clip --- thanks, it is very pleasant.
the vibe of the music is very positive, and pleasing. . . .

however I would have a couple of complaints -
first: the complete absence of microtones seems to me to miss out on a lot.
second: melodically it feels to me that they are simply running scales up and down. My guess is that they simply decided on a particular scale, and then just are each doing what they want with it --- all due respect, I personally find this approach to modal playing quite irritating and even a bit intellictually insulting after a while. This is in fact not a true "modal" music because a "true" modal music (in my opinion) uses modes which have a melodic GRAMMER. for example some notes are more important than others, sometimes there is an ascend and decending order, there will be certain characteristic melodic motifs, there will be a "path"| (seyir) and a direction. In true modal music within one system there can be many "modes" with exactly the same scale but with totally different character. For example in the RAGA system there must be at least 20 famous RAGAS which use the dorian mode. In the MAKAM system there are also more than a dozen makams which are based on the "bayati" scale.

I love ANOUAR, and I am NOT trying to insult him or this music!!!!! However, just for the sake of conversation and debate I would suggest that the music on this clip is a degradation in both jazz and modal music because the truly advanced element of jazz (improvisation over a sophisticated chordal system) has been deleted completely - - - and from the modal music, the use of microtones and melodic grammar has been deleted. . . . all that remains is a generic scale to be played up and down at random. This is unsophisticated (which does NOT necessarily mean a "bad thing"...).

But these guys are GREAT musicians, and therefore they are able to pull it off and make great music out of it - but still I feel that listeners deserve to be aware that certain musical elements which took hundreds of years to develop, have simply been deleted - RATHER THAN ADVANCED FURTHER! This is my criticism, I don't feel this music is an advancement, I feel it is a regression.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 11:11 AM

first: the complete absence of microtones seems to me to miss out on a lot.

No wonder ... the oud is the only instrument in this quartett, which can play them.

It might have been an alternative to give the clarinet a pause here and there and use a fretless bass in these parts to make quarter tone passages possible.

Quote:
... but still I feel that listeners deserve to be aware that certain musical elements which took hundreds of years to develop, have simply been deleted - RATHER THAN ADVANCED FURTHER!

Mmh, maybe it's because I like minimalism sometimes, that makes me like this record?

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 12:28 PM

on closer listening to this clip, they use very interesting rhythms. . . . and they play with wonderful feeling!

actually I really like the composition

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 12:32 PM

on closer listening to this clip, ...

If you get the chance listen to the CD ... it's worth it.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 12:38 PM

it's funny how it can sometimes take a while to get to like some music :) However, personally I think if these guys would only add a little bit on melodic grammer, to the scales. . . they would really have something super great. (as opposed to just great :)) )

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 12:43 PM

it's funny how it can sometimes take a while to get to like some music :)

The CDs I like at first listening are usually those I only listen to a short time. That ones I really like not before several listenings are the "evergreens".

Quote:
However, personally I think if these guys would only add a little bit on melodic grammer, to the scales. . .

There's not only one song on this CD ;) :D

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 12:49 PM

funny story about Anouar..... about 15 years ago I was in Morocco in search of OUD. Did find too much, so I went down to Essaouirra -the beach place- and one day I was walking past an art gallery and I hear such a beautiful sweet oud music (not oriental sounding, but just flowing and so sweet), and immediately I thought to myself "this is the kind of sound I also want to make" (such a simple, beautiful, and peaceful sound). I went in and got them to copy this cassette, and listened to it for many many years. It was Anouar - I don't have any idea what the name of the album is, but I think it was his first ECM. It has long solo oud pieces..... just magical.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 12:59 PM

I don't have any idea what the name of the album is, ...

On his website you'll find his discography. His first ECM recording is from 1991.

PS: I bet you talk about pieces like THIS ... HERE in better sound quality with band.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Lazzaro
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 05:36 AM

Hi folks, actually my main research is mix jazz with oriental music, and I wont share my last experience. This is a jam session with some Egyptian folk and modern musician. For me the most interesting thing is meeting musician of other culture without worrying about the result.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X00K-fdqTFw
best regards
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lazzaro  
For me the most interesting thing is meeting musician of other culture without worrying about the result.

Yes, that can be very thrilling and fun. Interesting ensemble you were playing with.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
jass
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 04:37 PM

Hey Guys,

Have you seen these clips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SxGJ1w4BFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLc53xwTtc

Would you consider this oriental jazz? I think its a really great blend, what do you guys think?
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jass  

Have you seen these clips?

Yes, in the other thread here in the forums. Thanks, that you posted the videos in this thread too ... I forgot that.

Quote:
Would you consider this oriental jazz?

I definitely do and I bet I'm not the only one ;)

For my taste this record is a must-have ... too bad I have to wait 'til September for the Europe release, but it's worth the wait.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top