Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Farido in Jerusalem
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 04:15 AM
Farido in Jerusalem

Hi guys here is a link of a personal version of Farido I played in a Jerusalem cafe last summer, the first 30 seconds of my improvisation are not on the video unfortunately, tell me what you think about that anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9yHf1ylRmk

Enjoy!
Benjamin :)
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 04:27 AM

Hey I really liked that,:) you've got a really strong risha technique going there my friend, and the oud sounds awesome! I look forward to hearing more from you:applause:

Is that a k&k twin spot classic I see? What is it going through?

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 04:33 AM

Very dramatic! Bravo!

Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 04:54 AM

Thank you very much guys. Sazi I got indeed a K&K pickup, and a fishman basic preamp, connected to a mixing console (I don't know which one, it was not mine).
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 05:58 AM

at 1:51 too bad, what happeneD?
el Kafla at the end is too cold (2:31), al ichba3 a common musical term which means: 'satisfaction' is not attained on my opinion.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Benjamin  
Hi guys here is a link of a personal version of Farido I played in a Jerusalem cafe last summer, the first 30 seconds of my improvisation are not on the video unfortunately, tell me what you think about that anyway:
Enjoy!

I loved it Benjamin. You did Farido proud. Thanks very much for sharing your considerable talent with us.

Regards,

Greg
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 03:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Greg  
Quote: Originally posted by Benjamin  
Enjoy!

I loved it Benjamin. You did Farido proud. Thanks very much for sharing your considerable talent with us.

Regards,

Greg

I don't think Farid would be pround to listen to his piece with 2 or 3 brutal, dry and non justified breakpoints ;)
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 05:15 AM

Alloushé can we ever listen to your playing?

With no offense, it seems you attack everyone on this forum, don't like any style, and search the tiniest errors to talk about. Can we listen to how you can make us satisfied (moshba3in) as you say? I would love to!

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
Alloushé can we ever listen to your playing?

With no offense, it seems you attack everyone on this forum, don't like any style, and search the tiniest errors to talk about. Can we listen to how you can make us satisfied (moshba3in) as you say? I would love to!

Please don't misunderstand me you or anybody else. name them (the attacked people) and they should be many persons according to what you say ;) ,if you can't, stop to consume adrenaline and relax.

If i don't like your music or the music of 'x' or 'y' is not to my taste in a piece, i mention it, i don't and can't polish here and here, it is very natural for me and it is not an attack for me to anybody and it should not disturb.

Take it easy, this is my opinion as a listener and not as a player so what you said has no sense at all and it discredits you on my opinion. I am not pretending to give satisfaction or being able to do so to you or to somebody else, and it is not my goal at least on the forum, i am just expressing and being myself as a listener. Competition is not in my culture, i like to save my energy.

To return to the actual post, the 1:51 and 2:21 of Benjamin were too frustrating to my ears and taste on my opinion after being quite good during his takssim , that i mentioned these remarks and it is up to the concerned person to answer me or not on what happened (sometimes we loose the control when we play and we end in something else for example), that's all. So stay cool and relax Rida :)
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 07:42 AM

Well.. words like BRUTAL are offending. At least as much as I understand English.

Anyway.. I won't be discussing that in this thread and won't turn it into a debate. I apologize, Benjamin, for what just happened. I shouldn't be writing this in your post and will not be writing here anymore. Nevertheless, your recording is great, I appreciate your playing and technique and I really enjoyed listening to it. And I think everyone needs a little encouragement so we can all keep up the progress and give our best to the oud community. Thanks for sharing ! And I hope we all share with each other and enrich this forum, not just be passive members.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
Well.. words like BRUTAL are offending. At least as much as I understand English.

Anyway.. I won't be discussing that in this thread and won't turn it into a debate. I apologize, Benjamin, for what just happened. I shouldn't be writing this in your post and will not be writing here anymore. Nevertheless, your recording is great, I appreciate your playing and technique and I really enjoyed listening to it. And I think everyone needs a little encouragement so we can all keep up the progress and give our best to the oud community. Thanks for sharing ! And I hope we all share with each other and enrich this forum, not just be passive members.

for brutal: read well the phrase, it depends how biased is your explanation to it, it can mean : sudden, brusque, unexpected (even if i am not english expert lol), at least you learnt something :) google it if you have suspections.

I am happy Rida that you have understood that you made a mistake by misunderstanding me and opening a non-sense debate. Thank you very much to stay on a cool relaxed wavelength:) now and in the future;) and remember: it is just a forum, not easy to not see in real the persons, there is real life too :)
cheers!
vive la :bowdown: muzika
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 11:35 AM

Dear Alloushé, thank you for your comments. Concerning the "1:51", you didn't like the break, but music is made of silences and surprise, I could have stayed without "brutal" and "unjustified" breakpoints, but as you wrote music should produce satisfaction, and keeping the listener attention and not making him boring without surprise is to my mind one of the various ways for that. Concerning the qafla near the end, it's a choice to make it smooth. But I'm surprised you didn't notice some mistakes I didn't want to notice before other people, there was two or three real intonation mistakes in this play (unfortunately that's the only quality recording I have of it, and the first minute is not recorded, so I still prefer it with it small mistakes). Concerning the "qafla", it could have played from top to bottom, you didn't noticed that and it could be valuable for many members of the forum to remind that in higher play on the fingerboard you better have to play the last note from top to bottom.. Critic is always constructive and welcomed, but it should come with explanations. Anyway I still appreciate your critic and thank you for that, even if the way was a bit "brutal" ;-).

Greg and Reda thank you very much for your kind words, it's a real pleasure from players like you and it comes at the right time for me.

Benjamin
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 12:21 PM

Nice work Benjamin. Alloushe, I think the word you were looking for was "abrupt", but I'm sure Benhamin accepts your apologies as graciously as you.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 12:46 PM

Actually Benjamin, I enjoyed your playing, very distinct and sharp risha sound and very much your own tone even though you were playing Farido. I can't comment on the 'correcctness' of the rendering of the piece, I am not enough an expert but my very musical sensibility was carried all the way through the piece several times.

Your playing on this drew my attention and kept it - partly because of little micro-shifts I noticed in the timing giving a slight 'swing' to the internal structure of the rhythm throughout which added a sense that something may or may not be about to surprise (a nice tension). I suppose the surprises are to me more subtle than the more obvious stops which I find compelling and the obvious passion and drive with which you play embed these subtleties deeper - I'm sure you feel these when you play.

You play well - and although I naturally take a positive attitude to the way I listen and express myself it doesn't mean that this is no less a compliment and that I am not serious when I say this.

I'd love to hear you play slowly and soulfully also, that would be good to listen to. Hope this all makes sense - I'm sounding a bit like one of those wine tasters at times!!

Best wishes

Leon
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 01:13 PM

DaveH, and 'who' has doubt: abrupt is a synonym of brutal ;) ( google it, i don't like to say that but you insisted so go and check), so there is no offense..maybe the difference in culture..
Benjamin, try to take my words on the most positive ones existing in the dictionnary:)

Thank you for your confessions :) that confirm my thoughts..but I am not here analysing your sequence note by note, cetainly there is mistakes, maybe more than 3 or 4,.. and it is natural but i was talking about something else and not about mistakes.. i am just giving my opinion as a listener and not as a player or as a professor, as i said before i listened and i was enjoying till these moment where it was too brutal the change, and the kafla did not make satisfaction to my ears, that's all.
My opinion is based upon the original music of Farid and my musical taste when i was listening to your version.
Now if the question is : what do i think about the oud technique in the clip: of course, it is clear that you have a great mastery of the instrument and quite sure it is not strange for you.
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 03:09 PM

Beautifully played Benjamin, loved the finishing:airguitar:
thanks for sharing and keep them coming man:applause:

Best Regards

Awad
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-24-2010 at 06:38 PM

Very good,
thanks for sharing.
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 01:36 AM

Hi Benjamin,

bravo j'aime beaucoup !

I like the fact that you are not trying to mimick Farido, you have your own distinctive sound ...

Dan
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 11:17 AM

Alloushé, you are new here, so forgive me, but we have had some quite stressful moments of late here, and people are a little jumpy, though normally this forum is very harmonious. So please be tactful. You really can't say things like "Farid wouldn't have been proud", that's not useful or constructive, is it?

But I hope I understand what you wanted to say. There are times when nobody here wants to express critical thoughts on someone's playing for fear of hurting their feelings, and as a result it's like a class where the teacher and everybody praises every student, we have this problem in the United States, they call it "political correctness", that EVERYBODY must be praised all the time, and as a result students don't learn very well. People want to know what they are doing that pleases, but also what they should improve. And with different cultures, I think we are all curious how another culture reacts to our experiments. The key word is respect.

So, if your intent is positive, the trick is probably being very technical in criticism and suggestions, specifically explaining what you think should be different, exactly in what way, and why, that way we all learn from the example, as long as we are never ever making the person feel small. In this instance, I certainly couldn't follow what exactly you thought Benjamin should be doing differently, and I'm probably not the only one on whom your points were lost. Then maybe we can know that the comments are not meaningless, and not be afraid of honestly explaining what we think and feel.

We are all learning and we should help each other be better players, with more feeling, more knowledge to show connection to the past, and better technique and new ideas for the future, because that's how our beloved oud and music can shine for more people all over this planet!

Right?
:D
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 11:23 AM

Benjamin, what I especially liked was your smooth tremolos and faridisms, unusually well-controlled. Thanks!
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 04:34 PM

Ohh no! i will not reverse gear and talk about all of this again. i gave my opinion straight without polish.
thanks for you message, i sense in it the friendship and the honnest ideas expression.
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 05:39 AM

Alloushé, we are waiting for your recording of Min Ghir Lih. We will not be easy on you when we will judge your playing... you better play well..:)
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mrkmni  
Alloushé, we are waiting for your recording of Min Ghir Lih. We will not be easy on you when we will judge your playing... you better play well..:)

I can understand the feeling of some members waiting to judge my work :)) the critics will be hard, hands friction preparation from now :D, the eyes are red, very red to externalize the energy accumulated due to my straight sometimes 'dry' opinion. If you want to accelarate the romping, just buy me a recorder :rolleyes:
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 01:18 PM

Benjamin, I feel you put your heart and soul into this performance, great risha technique-
tell me, how do you manage to keep so much concentration on your playing with that pretty girl next to you? :cool: thanks for sharing it with us my friend. regards, MW
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 01:24 PM

Guys thank you so much for your comments, to all of you, it's a pleasure to read everyone of the comments here. I apologize to answer a bit late also!
Dear Leon, your comment is very interesting, thank you for it. If you want to hear me slower (and I know that could be a problem as I always add a lot of impassionated wind to my play, that even in a taqasim or a samai it sounds dramatic and impetuous), you can check on my youtube I have two samais and a taqasim as well.
Dear Fernand I'm happy you enjoyed the tremolos, it's something I really love too (very arabic by the way), I enjoy to hear it and enjoy to play it.
Dear Matthew indeed I tried to enjoy what I play, and that's I guess a very important point, if not the most important thing in music. I will pass your compliment to the "pretty girl", she will be happy for sure ;-).
And to everybody thank you again for having taking from your time to listen and comment!
Benjamin

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top