Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: contemplation
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 09:43 AM
contemplation

Hi all- it's been a while since I posted anything in this part of the forum, I think it's good to put youself 'out there' for constructive feedback now and then, it always helps. Just got myself some recording gear and learning how to use it with the oud so the sound may not be the best quality until I get better at it.. this one I dubbed 'contemplation'. regards, MW

Attachment: contemplation.mp3 (802kB)
This file has been downloaded 190 times
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 10:50 AM

Is it a mic that you attach to the oud's face?

You played well. I am not in the music of such music now.. so I will not comment on the impro itself, but I wanna tell you that the recording is too bassy and the sound is dry. Usually mics of that type (if I guessed well) need some post-recording work.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 09:34 PM

I can't tell what is intentional, as various kinds of effects are considered desirable, but it seems the signal at times is overloading, not to where is cracks and breaks up, but to where it "rattles". That can happen if the microphone is literally rattling, or if there's a compressor/limiter in the path but the oud's natural "mother of all resonances", which usually falls somewhere around 200 Hz, saturates the circuit. Maybe back it off a bit and EQ a notch around 220 Hz. What kind of oud is it? Musically it seems a little busy for a contemplation, maybe a matador's contemplation ;-)

nasrudinjeh
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 10:54 PM
contemplation

Thanks for sharing your contemplation - I enjoyed listening. I think you have a deft trouch and a really rich sound; I also liked some of the melodic ideas you're pursuing here. To my ear, you'vre alreadfy getting fine sounds out of your new electronic gadgetry - perhaps especially at that sometimes precarious-seeming low end, although threre's no gainsaying the real sweetness of your midrange which surely must owe as much to your technique here as to pickups etc. I shoppe we can loo forward to some more from you, Matthew; meantime, thanks again giving us a listen to your new set up and an engaging tune.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 01:08 AM

You are right Reda, I was trying a mic that attaches to the top of the oud. I'll need to get used to using different mic set-ups and my equipment to obtain different EQ sounds for the oud.
Fernand- I did study flamenco guitar at one time, perhaps that is where your 'matador' comes in?
Nasrudinjeh, your kind words are very encouraging.
thanks again guys for your feedback, MW
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 02:32 PM

Salut Matthew.

I like the sound, may be not perfectly professionnal, but sweet and confidential. The way tune gently flows is rich and pleasant, you let space for the mind to look around your purpose....
Bien joué, l'ami.
Content de te retrouver de cette manière.

Francis
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 08:56 PM

Btw, I like the piece, and the playing, I was just saying that the title suggests a slower pace!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 12:52 PM

Salut Francis, ca va bien? merci pour les mots agréables, tu es trop aimable:cool:
regards, MW
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:25 AM

:wavey: Thanks for sharing Matthew. A definate Spanish flavour in the style of this one, so nice to hear on the oud. You have a nice touch and I enjoyed the improv, keep it up.

Best Wishes, Charlie
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 10:36 AM

Hi Charlie, thanks for the feedback mate. I think the oud lends itself well to Spanish influences, it's only natural considering the great centres of music that existed in Moorish Spain- Al-Andalus, the most famous having been in Cordoba. :) regards, MW
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 06:55 AM

Hi Matthew

I really like your playing but think your recording isn't doing your playing justice and you need to tweak your equipment a little to get a good recording of that wonderful oud of yours!! Your playing has progressed from last time I heard it, more delicate and sensitive to my ear, much more 'udi' than 'guitary' and some lovely passges developing there. Contemplation isn't always an entirely slow or quiet occurance so I think it is an appropriate title.

I'd love to hear more, what is your recording setup? - I recently got a Sony pcm M10 recorder which has a very good quality to my ears. I just need time to get down to practicing more and recording some stuff myself.

Cheers

Leon
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 10:40 AM

Hi Leon, good to hear from you bud, and thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, I do need to tweak my recordings more, and that is something I'm working on!
Initially I was planning on getting something along the lines of the Zoom H4- something relatively small yet able to record well. However I got big-headed and started dreaming about recording and then thought hey I'd like to try recording more adventurous musical compositions, not only solo oud, but oud with a varity of instruments in various world musical genres. So I ended up buying a slightly used Macbook Pro 13" laptop with Logic Studio (Pro 9) software installed and Cakewalk EA25 soundcard/interface off a friend.
The problem is now how to use all this! Logic is a powerful programme, and I'm a novice at computer based recording.
I've been having fun getting nice midi generated sounds from within Logic, things like drums, strings, horns, syth pads, the usual stuff, but haven't tried any external instruments yet, So I tried the oud with some stick on mics, and I wasn't too sure how to get the best EQ; it didn't sound so bassy on my system. I did get some good advice from Reda who is pretty up on most all things recording, and next time I record the oud I'll have a good mic and more of an idea of the ins and outs of recording.

Hows it going with your recordings? :)cheers, MW
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:33 AM

Hi Matthew

Nice to hear from you - I'm doing fine but very busy with our artwork business for the next few months (in a good way) so I'm desperate to sit down and try to get some pieces together.

I really enjoyed our last session with Nizar Rohana, I learned a lot from that. Here's a suggestion based on personal experience, I do this all the time and it is sort of a form of procrastination. I'll think of something simple to achieve like recording something or putting together some simple piece from which to develop, then my mind will leap to a far more complex and frankly unattainable idea ... and before I know it I've so much more extra to learn and have gone way beyond the initial purpose ...

to play simply, well and record in a straightforward but good quality way. I suspect you may find yourself in this place given the intricacies of software etc.

Why not get hold of a zoom H2 or similar device anyway, you'll be surprised at the results and they are pretty straightforward to obtain. You can then use it as an audio notebook to carry round with you, and 'sketch' musical ideas, either played or hummed. Chances are the sound quality will be fine for putting into the pc and mix with other sounds etc if you ever get chance ... at least you'll be recording , playing, and developing actual ideas you can listen to.

On that note I have to report that I too haven't eliminated procrastinitis from my life which is why the forum isn't flooded by sound files from me. My girls are getting older so I am finding fatherhood easing somewhat so it will come :airguitar:

Leon
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 06:12 AM

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful playing.

As to recording, I think getting a Zoom H2 is a good advice. Its got very cheap nowadays and it's absolutely a 'no-brainer'. push the button and forget you're recording. I feel its very helpful not to be forced into a 'tech mode' when recording yourself.

The recording quality of the H2 is really more than sufficient.

best wishes
Robert

PS your improvisation might get even stronger if you stay within the modus or modulate to related modi ...
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 11:41 AM

I entirely agree with the H2 defenders corporation!

Francis
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 01:38 PM

Hi Robert and Francis- thanks for the kind words Robert.
I'm starting to see your views on the Zoom, the recording gear I got is really like jumping into the deep end, I think something simple will be more useful!
best wishes my friends , Matthew
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 11:45 AM

Sounds and feels great to me, bravo Matt!
ps, where are you from actually?? Don't you have some Arab BLOOD in you? (sure sounds like it!)

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  

ps, where are you from actually?? Don't you have some Arab BLOOD in you? (sure sounds like it!)

thanks for the nice comments bro-

actually I'm from the holographic starship Maqam 99 ;)

Go To Top