Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with Translation
jnmarcus
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 08:57 AM
Help with Translation

This may be a slightly unusual request. I just completed some small repairs on this oud: new bridge, sanded the face, carved new tuners to replace broken ones, etc. The oud was given to me by my son in law (Arabic descent) after his father died, and was made by a member of his family back many years ago. I have built and repaired many banjos so I researched the recommended things not to do with the oud and made just minor repairs. The maker, Mr. Nichola Reyas (Rais) was living in Santa Barbara, California until the middle of the last century and made violins and ouds. He was a very unusual man, almost a hermit but he made some wonderful instruments. I know a little of him through some autobiographical information created by other members of the extended family. I have a violin he made that sounds great.

The reason I am writing is there is a label in the oud that is in Arabic that I cannot read. I have taken some pictures of it. This was tricky as I did not want to remove the carved rosette. I would be grateful if you would help me translate it. I have also sent along a great photograph of the maker as well as some photos of the violin and the oud in its finished condition. You will notice that the oud in the picture is not the one we have, so he must have made a number of them. He did a good job. There are no cracks whatsoever and the top is flat. Sound seems good, but unfortunately I don’t play.

I hope to hear from someone. Thanks for taking the time.

Top-VIew.jpg - 60kB Back-View.jpg - 51kB Uncle-Nick-Photo.jpg - 85kB Label-1.jpg - 33kB Lable-2.jpg - 64kB Label-3.jpg - 41kB Label-4.jpg - 43kB Label-5.jpg - 38kB Label-6.jpg - 50kB
fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 09:10 AM

hi

arabic ( this oud maker Nakola butrus ) wood ( Eye bird ) in 1906 Klfornea

The work of private -

Los Angeles
________

Rough translation

fadel

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 10:23 AM

This is the work of Nicola Petros Al Ris

From Bird's Eye Wood of California

Los Angeles
rex2009
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud Zone

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 10:32 AM

Hi jnmarcus
Another way of saying it is: This is the work of Nikola Butrus Alrays in California made specially from eyes bird wood for music instruments. Los Angles July1906.
Regards
Tarig
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 05:28 PM

rellay impressing oud...
jnmarcus
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 03:04 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded to my translation request.

Based on your responses and my own information about the maker, including seeing his name on labels of violins he made, I believe it might be reframed as:

Made by Nicholas P. Reyas, Santa Barbara California
Of Bird's Eye Maple
July, 1906

Tomorrow I will show the instrument in its resored form for those interested.

Thank you all again.

jnmarcus
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 09:07 AM
New Pictures of Oud

Attached are some pictures of Nicholas (Butros) Reyes instruments including a violin he made and which bears his name in the label. He is noted as Nicholas P. Reyes. The carving of the face on the back of the violin is done remarkably well and the violin sounds great.

The Oud has had the face sanded and glue spots removed. I turned and carved four new pegs for the instrument and restained parts of the oud where sanding removed some finish. I also strung the instrument with new strings and tuned it to CFAGDC - low to high. I used silver over nylon strings of .043, for the low and the Pyramid Aoud Orange set for the rest of the instrument. I hope this is correct.

The wood on the back of the Oud is simply beautiful. I believe it to be Birds Eye Maple. The instrument is otherwise unadorned.

Regards,
Joel

Oud-Back-View.jpg - 116kB Oud-Front-View.jpg - 117kB Oud-Side-View.jpg - 126kB Violin-Front.jpg - 38kB Violin-Rear.jpg - 133kB Carving-Detail.jpg - 38kB
Violaine
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 12:49 PM
Also need help with translation

Hi,

I'm working on a collection of World Music Instrument in Quebec and I am trying to find a translation for a Turkish ud label, but it seems to be in Ottoman script.

Does someone know how to decipher it ?

Any hint is precious to me.

Ud_1_s.jpg - 146kB Ud_2_s.jpg - 147kB Ud_3s.jpg - 139kB
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Violaine  
Hi,

I'm working on a collection of World Music Instrument in Quebec and I am trying to find a translation for a Turkish ud label, but it seems to be in Ottoman script.

Before 1927 the turkish used the arabic fonts, so they look like persan I can read: Number 814
Chamli Toufic and Iskandar Braderler
mrkmni
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Violaine  
Hi,

Before 1927 the turkish used the arabic fonts, so they look like persan I can read: Number 814
Chamli Toufic and Iskandar Braderler
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 04:34 AM
Date

The date of this instrument is Hijri 1322, which would make it about 1904 Christian year.

Shamli Teoufiq is a Syrian maker from Damascus.

I'm sorry but I don't see Number 814, I see number 18.

Spyros C.

Go To Top