Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 01:35 PM
Samai shat arabane

Well, quite a well-known piece.. Playing it in my 5 stars suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SUjrNpQuI

Any comment would be appreciated!

PS: there was a small cut before khana 4 as the camera can record more than a few minute at a time..

Benjamin :airguitar:
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 08:08 PM

Spectacular performance! I especially liked listening the fourth khana.

who is the maker of your oud? what strings do you use? what amlification device do you use, is it attached with adhesive to the faceboard?

thanks for sharing,

Adel
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:06 PM

Shukran ya akhi.
The maker is Abu al 'Ala, a oud maker from the Israeli Arab town of Baqa al Gharbiye. The strings are Arabic pyramid lute strings (made according to the length of the oud, which is quite short: 57 cm). On this clip there is no amplification but in gigs I use a K&K pick up, with a fishman preamp, and sometimes combine it with a condenser microphone. The pick up is indeed attached with adhesive to the faceboard.. Not esthetic but it works ;-)
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 04:10 AM

good performance benyamin
I just want to let you notice the difference between the arabic and the turkish rast. Listen to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WSAg0ejLc&feature=related
at minute 3.33, the E-half flat is higher in the turkish way. It's more toward the Major scale rather than the rast. I guess Cemil bey would prefer the turkish way:)

fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 07:58 AM

hi

good plaing relly I like this sami

I will play this smi
son

thank

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 10:55 AM

Hi Benjamin,

Excellent work. Seems like you've got everything going on to me. You play all over the neck and you hit all your notes and harmonics, etc. -- your right hand is very strong with fine tremelo, your "time" is solid, and you get a good sound out of the oud (the fine oud helps, but it's not everything). Only thing I can add is, you could try adding in some dynamics, but that'll be there as you go along anyway.
You're playing very well ,keep it up and thanks for the clip.

Regards..PaulO
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 05:31 AM

Katakofka you are right, I simply used to play in the Arabic way as I study in the Academy of Music in Jerusalem which teaches Arabic music, and I even had an "argument" on that has I prefered playing closer to the turkish way and I thought the E half flat (B half flat on the arabic score) should be played like in the turkish renderings (and the one for Cemil Bey) E flat or almost E flat.. Thank you for this interesting point.
Fadel good luck for playing this samai, it's a nice one and interesting from many points of view.
PaulO thanks for your comment, I guess more dynamic could have been nice indeed, but actually the sound of the camera didn't render all the dynamic I put in the playing.
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 09:34 AM

:applause:

I already added a comment on Facebook and I read you're looking for taqasim in maqam shat 'arabane : Here it is what I have in my discotheque.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/5-ww0oRO/02_-_Morceau_2.html ("The legacy of Miha'il Massaqa" by Ensemble of Classical Arab Music of the Antonine University)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/0-DdKCMe/06_-_Taqsim_Shudaraban.html ("Master of the Oud" by Adel Salameh)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/RI-QTuWg/06_-_Morceau_6.html ("Musique Classique Arabe" by Ahmed and Souad Chawki) -> Qanoun only...

Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 12:23 AM

Nice taqasim from Adel Salameh

Go To Top