work. many great arabic artists own his ouds. I recently bought an oud
from him and I absolutely love it, it's a joy to play and it is crafted very
well with good woods.

It is hard to contact the maker himself, but there is a middle man that I
bought the oud from, Dr. Atef Abd El Hamed, a oud teacher at the Cairo Opera
House. He is a very nice man. And even though you are dealing through a
middle man, you are still paying a very reasonable price for the oud. You
should contact him, he will send you pictures and videos of the oud. and it
should take no more than 4-5 days in shipping!

His email is: atefabdelhameed@yahoo.com

Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 12:37 PM

Hi Clode,

welcome to the forums!

Quote: Originally posted by edolc  

I really like the music and sound of some Anouar Brahem recordings.

I'm not astonished, there are real pros at work, be it musicians or sound engineers. I tried to find out, what oud he plays, but so far I had no luck.

Quote:
I am looking for a good instrument that I will use mainly in studio.

Then a concert or even grand concert oud might be the way to go, but these babies are expensive ... 2000€ upward.

If you are looking for ouds in this league, I think we should mention Faruk Türünz ... do you know Joseph Tawadros? He plays a Türünz arabic oud with double soundboard. Or do you know Trio Joubran? One of these three brothers, Wissam, is a luthier too ... check THIS out.

Further famous luthiers, well known for their high quality, are Nazi Ghadban and Maurice Shehata.

"And resellers?", you might ask. Forget it, if you're looking for concert quality ... that's my opinion.

But ... I think even for 1000€ or a bit more, you'll get a fantastic instrument ... just search around the forums a bit ... Michael Moussa would be one example.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 12:54 PM

welcome to the oud world...Check your U2U
whisperoftheoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 01:05 PM

hi ,

We are selling our ouds all over the world and we have a lot of customers from canada.
We are making only proffessional ouds.

Please check our web site :

http://www.turkishouds.com
http://www.myspace.com/turkishouds
sazdervish
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 08:34 PM

Hey,
I have a seven stringed Egyptian oud. Naseer Shamma design. Made by Usta (master craftsman) Ajeeb in Egypt. Ajeeb is one of two oud makers in Egypt that Naseer uses. I am here in Seattle Washington, USA. Where in Canada are you? If you are on the west coast, then we are really close to each other. I am asking for $1200 without shipping.
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by edolc  
I am in Canada.

In Canada dear you've got the most talented luthier in northern America SA`AD ALTAYYAR in Montreal/ Canada. Search here in this forum to see his masterpieces .

But if you're about to import an oud from the Arab world, try Fadi Matta from Lebanon & you'd not regret it. He's one of the best living luthiers now in the Arab world, if not in the whole world. His finish is astonishing & the sound is sublime. His prices though are fair enough + - 1500 $.

Good Luck !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 07:24 PM

Edolc: Welcome!

1) Turkish and Arabic differ in construction and timbre, Turkish ouds are smaller, shorter scale, as well as being tuned 1 note higher. They tend to be better finished and more costly. It's a different aesthetic. There are many different oud types, including ones that share some of the properties of these two main families.

2) In the studio we have MORE control rather than less. The concert player is very concerned with appearance, status, as well as tone. It can be successfully argued that a studio-oriented musician hardly needs a boutique instrument made of rare materials with a chi-chi finish. It does take some time to develop an opinion as to what is important to you, and this Forum is a great place to start. Unless you have money to spare, it's very important you spend some time learning about ouds, the mentality of the community, and hearing/playing different instruments.

Moussa I hear gets ouds from Fathy Amin, you can compare ouds on their respective web sites, and is in the UK anyway. Nothing sinful with this, but it seems Shehata and Ghadban have become perhaps significantly oriented to Western boutique aesthetic (and pricing). One look at Shehata's store gives you an idea. Read up about timbre and "issues" on the Forum. No question these are fine ouds, but for all that, if the soundboard settles, or you need to level the fingerboard, you still have to redo the neck to set the action.

Alfaraby wisely suggested Faddi Matha. Listen to some of his ouds on YouTube, they are excellent. He is one of only two oud makers whose instruments have an adjustable action, Sukar being the other. For me, being able to change the action without demolishing/rebuilding the neck, is more important than e.g. the finish, especially since the action significantly affects the timbre.

I'm going to stick my neck out, why not, it's just one guy's opinion? Since I'm not crazy about Turkish timbre, I'm leaving those out. There are countless good luthiers and great ouds out there, but each one is different, and an adventure you may or may not be ready for. If the price is OK with you Faddi Matha is what I would humbly suggest. If not, I would get a Sukar, they range from around $500 to under $1000. The Fathy Amins (through Dr. Atef Abd El Hamed) seem excellent, several good people here have them, and reasonable, but in part because of the action adjustment issue, I opted for Sukar. A bit spartan for those with a baroque taste, but versatile, strong-voiced and reliable.

ShehataShop.jpg - 40kB
Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  

Alfaraby wisely suggested Faddi Matha. Listen to some of his ouds on YouTube, they are excellent. He is one of only two oud makers whose instruments have an adjustable action, Sukar being the other. For me, being able to change the action without demolishing/rebuilding the neck, is more important than e.g. the finish, especially since the action significantly affects the timbre.

Add Hassan Hamza to this category, mine is like this, fine oud also.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Manil  
Add Hassan Hamza to this category, mine is like this, fine oud also.

I never heard of him ... can you tell us a bit more? Where is he located? Any photos available of his ouds?

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 10:36 AM

Here is a Ghadban oud you can listen to:

http://www.redaaouad.com/my-oud-playing/my-oud-playing-download

Manil: please show us the neck adjustment mechanism on your Hassan Hamza!

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 11:36 AM
Adjustable actions

A little action adjustment, and side-effects, on a traditional oud :D

ourepairM.JPG - 73kB

The Fadi Matta way: AdjustableNeckFadiMatta.jpg - 23kB Video demo here

The action height is not just a matter of player comfort. Listen carefully. Notice how the high action sounds decidedly more "Arabic", low action more "Turkish". This is most pronounced if the fingerboard surface is a very hard wood (or hardened by coating), and of course it must be quite level. It seems one of the elements of the classical Arabic sound is a relatively softer/rougher fingerboard and a higher action.

The Sukar way: img_4846xm.jpg - 61kB

Above we see the nesting for all 3 rods in the Sukar neck, one threaded for the wing-nut, two thinner "stabilizing rockers" seen in cross-section below. The neck cannot twist, and "hinges" on the stabilizing rods as you tighten/loosen the wing-nut. The typical adjustment range is 2-4 millimeters of string height at the neck-body junction, with 3 mm being the factory setting.

SukkarsNeck2fL.jpg - 116kB

At 2.5 mm, the timbre has that "zing" that is reminiscent of a Turkish oud. Above 3.5 mm the Arabic timbre takes over. It's quite interesting reaching into the bowl, making a small adjustment and pulling the instrument up on the map into Turkey, or down south towards Cairo. Sukars have their own sound and the transformation is of course not 100% complete. Different Sukar models also have different tones.

One nice thing about the Sukar method is that it is completely invisible unless you know what to look for: the tiny metal head on the back of the neck. Nothing to get in the way as you play.

sukarNail1r.jpg - 121kB

The new Sukar "intermediate" scale at 600mm can all the more easily "flip" using the same strings. Unlike "modernizations" that ruin the instrument, like machine tuning gears, saddles, different shapes, I personally feel neck adjustment is a capability that can be invisible, and that no oud should be without, especially where the cost of repairs is high. It seems some very fine traditional ouds have long been settling and degenerating until their masters take them in for a neck job. I hope more oud-makers will adopt some sort of adjustment mechanism.

Does anyone know: are all Fadi Mattas fitted with the adjustment wheels?

Any other makers' adjustable necks? Photos, please!!!

Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 08:28 PM

I am moving this week, I'll post pics later next week sorry.

Hassan Hamza is a maker in Syria not far away from Alepo ExtremeTarab knows him better than me.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 07:31 PM

Best feelings in the new place! I am very curious to see your photos. Does anyone else have photos of the Hassan Hamza ouds? Is there a similar mechanism as on the Sukars?
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 11:45 AM

In a couple of weeks I will have a Dimitris Rapakousios brand new oud available for sale my friend.
Let me know if you are interested.
Best Regards
Spyros

musiccorner
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 05:15 AM
OUDS

MUSICCORNER2009@YAHOO.COM

oudmasterusa
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 03:26 AM

please send your email
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 09:20 AM

myrinousios@gmail.com

dburhan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-15-2010 at 08:32 AM

I just bought a Hassan Hamza Oud and I must say this Oud maker is by far the best. I have seen Ouds made by almost all of the famous makers around the worls but no one comes close to the quality produced by this maker.

I will post a photo of this Oud soon with a sound sample.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2010 at 08:36 AM

I am sure that you can aford my friend to play and buy ouds from ALL THE GOOD MAKERS in the world,.
If that is not a joke what it is?????
It's atleast insulting to all the other luthiers and oudplayers.
What you like is something personal,what I like is something is something personal also,each flower has his own parfume....
Sometimes we have to think before to speak....
Regards to all members

dburhan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-15-2010 at 10:54 PM

I said I have seen Ouds but I cannot afford and I am not interested to buy Ouds from all makers. I am sure that there are a lot of good Oud makers but I reaaly liked the quality of the Ouds made by this Syrian Oud maker (Hassan Hamza). I have also seen several great Ouds made by Saad Al Taiar who lives in Montreal.

I had several Sukar Ouds and they were very good too.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-16-2010 at 05:43 AM

:wavey:

Go To Top