edge.
Thanks
Ali
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 12:40 PM

Hi Ali,

I'm not 100% shure, but I think Smadj and Mehdi Haddab from DuOud use it on stage. Check some of their live videos.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 02:46 AM

Hi Ali, I have a Shadow nanoflex system, new, unused, all in box, if this is the one you are talking about. If interested let me know- cheers MW
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10560

NOTE: it is now sold;)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:26 AM

There are two different Shadow preamp units, and two sensor types. One type places the sensor on the bridge before stringing, then the string loops hold it in place, the other type uses adhesive tape to hold the (flat) sensor on the soundboard. Who has used these, and which one?

Luttgutt used the Shadow bridge type on big concerts. As a circuit designer, I've been building prototypes, and finding that the oud is a very very tough case because of the extreme liveness of the soundboard. The problem is that bridge type pickups (like on acoustic guitars) do not capture the complete timbre of the instrument, while any soundboard based type feeds back enormously at high volume. The classic k&k two sensor units sound great but howl uncontrollably if you turn up the amp. You can't have everything. I doubt the on-soundboard Shadow can be used on loud venues. MatthewW, have you tried it loud?

A phase flip switch on the preamplifier is very important, it inverts the signal so the generated and fed back signal are subtracted, theoretically all the way to zero, and feedback is greatly reduced. You can't just phase invert always, because a sound system chain has many stages, each stage flips the phase, so you never know whether to flip, except by trying. I'm surprised the Shadow doesn't have that.

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 11:53 AM

Hi FR, the nanoflex system I have for sale is new and unused; I never tried one in public and/or at high volume so I can't personally comment on your query, I have gotten positive comments by some users in this forum, and I have heard that a few Turkish oud players use one or other of the Shadow Nanoflex units.
I have however seen an oud player using a K&K pickup on his oud with a full band and there was no howl, and I've seen other players with other pickups with no howl. We know how tricky miking up our ouds can be, and I would venture to assume that any oud player using one of these pickups on the oud or in the oud would take proper care not to crank the amp ( if the oud is going through an amp) up too loud unless he is playing heavy metal oud, and so prevent any feedback/howling, and/or having a good soundman monitor the oud's output via any mixing desk/house system, and/or or use a mic along with any onboard oud pickup, or whatever it would take not to generate howling in a live situation.;) best, MW

Go To Top