Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help! I'm in Cairo now. Help!!
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 06:22 AM
Help! I'm in Cairo now. Help!!

I am looking for some traditional music to listen to. Also, I had a very disappointing day on Muhammed Ali street. I never saw such a collection of garbage in my life. If Walmart was in Egypt, they'd sell those ouds there. Are there no good builders anymore in Cairo besides Maurice?

Yes, they were all nice and shiny, with thick shiny laquer finish on the top ("to protect the surface from the air", said the shop keeper)...shop after shop of nice shiny heavilly finished tops and laquered finger boards, and pretty instruments with no volume or presence whatsoever. Very disappointing. They were one step about tourist ouds. Passed by the Gamil Georges shop...same poor quality. What does a serious oud player do in Egypt now, who cannot afford a custom instrument?

Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shareen  
They were one step about tourist ouds.

Deluxe ouds for tourists?

Greetings from Germany

Chris
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 11:38 AM

Did you visit Marco shop in Muhammed Ali street ? Marco is a nickname, and I can't remember is exact name, but if you ask there you will find.
This luthier is working for Naseer Shamma school, or at least was in 2005. I don't know if he's still working there. His ouds are decent student grade instrument.
regards

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 02:25 PM

I wonder if you aren't being a little quick in rejecting ALL instruments with a varnished soundboard. I'm sure you have tried a number, and they were mediocre, but maybe then you decided ANY oud with a glossy soundboard is bad. If that's the "fashion", maybe go with it and see if you can't find a decent oud anyway?

The varnish can easily be tamed by swirling with very fine steel wool, at least aesthetically. I have an Egyptian whose soundboard looked brush-varnished by an idiot. It ended up looking like a semi-matte French Polish, very attractive (and "high end") - the soundboard, that is.

Maybe some of these ouds ARE Shellac'ed, which is what French Polishing is done with, and Shellac does not dampen the acoustics of the soundboard. Shellac can be easily worked down to a very thin layer, or even washed off, as it is very soluble in alcohol. Many other varnishes are very soluble in acetone, or alcohol, or (worse) paint thinner, so maybe you can get bare wood if you want it. Personally I wouldn't want raw wood, I don't know about "the air", but dust and saliva maybe should be protected from? If your tongue isn't sticking out, if you don't "drool" a little while you play, you're maybe a bit too dignified :D

drool_20babyM.jpg - 82kB

There are several serious luthiers in Cairo, I've only heard of them, other people here know them in person.

alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 12:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
Marco is a nickname, and I can't remember its exact name

MARCO is a name of a dealer, a music instrument shop, called after a violin maker who lived & worked in Cairo last century. The owner's name is Abdolrahman Shalaby . His son Mohammad, runs the place. Beware of the son, he's a shrewd musician & dealer. These guys are not makers . They just buy ouds from anonymous makers & stick their label inside. Their ouds are as commercial as the others, but look a little bit better. You might find a good one there, but a great deal of luck should be involved. They sometimes offer some older pieces, but then a very professional oudist should try them. Being old is not a guarantee the oud is good enough to pay these prices they'd ask for.

Beside Maurice Shahatah of course, You may try Sayyed Fathi Amin's shop @ Faysal street. Ask any taxi driver to drive you there, conditioned you're accompanied with a local who might help making a good bargain.

You may try Tharwat Saber Altayyeb & sons Majed, Maher & Ramy as well, who are descent makers with fair prices. I tried to look for their address, and here it is : Altrolly st. Almatariah Quarter, Cairo, Mobile : 010-3761872 . I hope you might find something there .

Anyhow you're not alone ! Egyptian oud player is facing a real problem finding a descent oud in Cairo.

Good luck

yours indeed
Alfaraby

Go To Top