Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Morocco Music scene
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 01:40 AM
Morocco Music scene

Hello,

Im going to Morocco next week and was wondering, where are the best places to see musicians and hook up?

Any information would be good.

Thanks...:bounce:

Curious James
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 04:41 AM

Hi James

Lucky you:) I went to Morocco for 4 months in 1995 in the hope of finding a really cool OUD scene, but I was very disappointed. This was also partly because: 1- I really didn't want to stay in CASA, and 2- I was too shy at that point (being a beginner on oud) to push for a contact with Said Chribi and/or Haj Younus (sp.).

So first I went off to Fez, and found almost nothing. Except at the American Univ. I was invited to a concert by Noaman Lahlou (famous singer and sort of oudi)... I connected with Noaman and he helped me make contact with the great oud maker Khalid Belhaiba.

But I couldn't stomach staying in Casa, so I went off to Essaouirra - and at that time in my life I was more into learning languages then music so I spent the whole time studying classical Arabic (and French). But down there found absolutely nothing to do with oud except one maker there making touristy oud-like objects. Funny thing is little did I know it Essaouirra is a great place for Gambri music - and there was some festival going on I only heard in the distance from my window each night. I later got really into gambri (listening) and built a couple. If I would be now going to Morocco I would go for gambri, not oud, because in fact there is no indiginous school of oud in Morocco --- IMO better go to turkey, syria, lebanon... etc for oud.

I spent my last month in the RIFF mountains in Chefchaouen.... absolutely NO oud-life there. . . and I couldn't even speak my recently tweeked up French cuz it is only Spanish up there. Also, nobody speaks classical Arabic, so that turned out to be a bit of a waste also. . . . .

I just didn't know it at that time that Morocco is in fact a bit on the fringe of the oud world. . . but it has it's OWN music (without oud) which is amazing!

However, having said all of that, and my info is 15 years out of date, still if I would do it again I would go immediately to Khalid, Said, and Haj and ask those guys what is going on with oud - - - -

Have a nice trip!

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 04:14 PM

You might try contacting Nasser Houari: http://perso.menara.ma/cledut/ He lives in Rabat. I interacted with him enough to buy his 3 (self-published) CDs directly from him. He seems like a pretty good guy, as well as being an excellent musician.

You might also try asking some Moroccan emigres, such as Rachid Halilal: http://www.rachidhalihalmusic.com/ Rachid lives in the Western USA and is acquaintance of mine.

I have to admit I'm pretty jealous...

B'slama,
John

Go To Top