Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ney
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 01:49 PM
ney

Hi all, this is not quite a question on the oud, and may have been asked before, not sure, but can anyone recommend some places to buy a good ney?
I've seen a few listed here and there, but it would be useful to get some feedback from anyone in the forum who plays one. thanks, MW
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 09:20 PM

Arabic or Turkish? - and yes, it's a good question for the ney as well as the 'ud....:)

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 11:00 PM

Hi Sasha- Turkish, though any comments on Arabic ones would be good. ;)
Sasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-15-2010 at 11:20 PM

I have purchased several nice reed neys from my ney teacher Omar Faruk Tekbilek (he can be contacted via his website http://www.omarfaruktekbilek.com/)

I have also gotten a very nice kiz ney from maker Heruka Bey out of Italy - who sells on eBay under the name dr_suphi.

I have also recently gotten a very nice formed plastic ney from a new Turkish vendor on eBay using the name ironover - this was far nicer a instrument than I expected - especially considering the material and very low cost.

Sasha
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 08:37 AM

I get some neys from Rifat Varol, based in Istanbul.
Good maker and kind person to deal with:
http://www.neyneva.com/

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 01:32 PM

there is a good maker in Cairo that I can put you in touch with... you can order from him.
Also, Mohammed Antar is suggesting ordering neys from a good maker in Lebanon... he says they are the best and the cheapest. If you want this info send me a PM and I will put you in touch with these people.

Sasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 09:12 PM

http://www.neyzenim.com/eymengurtan.htm

Eyman Gürtan is another maker - he may or may not be moved to the States yet, but is recently married to a musical acquaintance of mine.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 11:14 PM

thanks guys for your help. Edward, I assume the people you mention do the Arabic ney, I'm focusing on the Turkish ney at the moment but sent you a E, thanks.
Sasha, regarding those plastic inexpensive neys 'ironover' sells on ebay, how is yours holding up? Is the tone pretty OK? It may be a way of exploring the ney before purchasing a more expensive instrument. I don't think a plastic oud would quite work, but maybe for a beginners ney...?:rolleyes:
Sasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 01:25 PM

Matthew -

I am pretty impressed with the plastic ney so far (and I never thought I would write that!) It is well-formed, and has a very nice hard rubber başpare (mouthpiece). It is also painted in a neutral reed color, so it doesn't scream 'look at me! I'm plastic!', which is another bonus.

Tone-wise, it is pretty good - the one I have is a mansur (A), and I'll be picking up a few more in various sizes.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2010 at 11:18 AM

Hi Mathew

I have a good quality Turkish Ney (Dogah) which I purchased a few years ago from Haluk (R.I.P) I would be happy to sell it as I am not playing it. Email me if you wish and I will send pictures/details.

I have since bought arabic reed ney from Cairo and also made from plastic 1 inch pipe a couple of acceptable sounding neys also. the main diference I've found is that the plastic though a little easier to play does not have the same range of overtones as reed and not as responsive tho good to start on.

Kelly
Nayati
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 08:32 PM

Matthew,
I play Arabic Nay but wished to try out the Turkish style so I ordered a Mansur ney from Rifat Varol (neyneva.com) I was very impressed with the quality and I received it very quickly via DHL. I shopped around for prices from different makers and his price is very competitive.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 04:54 PM

Halo Matthew,

Refaat Varol is an EXCELLENT maker. His neys are are top quality.
Mohamed Antar plays both Arabic and Turkish neys. He has a friend in Turkey who is a famous neyzen. He also sells TOP of the line neys at a good price.

Viel Glück,

Hatem

Go To Top