Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: D´ddario strings J95 okay for Turkish oud?
Renato
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 03:56 AM
D´ddario strings J95 okay for Turkish oud?

I can´t find the specific answer on the site. But these have no information! Inside the pack, there is different numbers from the ones below, so it´s very confusing. Will these things rip the bridge off my Sandi oud, or not?

These are J95, Silverplated Wound on Nylon.
.022 - .028 - .025 - .029 - 033 - .041
Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 05:27 AM

It should here is some reference : http://www.khalafoud.com/daddario.htm you can check the pdf file and ompare tensions depending on tuning and string length.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 06:40 PM

The gauges you list are the standard garden-variety oud strings that are commonly used on 585 mm Turkish and 615 mm Arabic ouds. It does not matter if it's labeled Arabic or Turkish. The Turkish notation completely confuses the labeling on some strings.

These are about the same gauges as Daniel Mari strings, or just about any oud strings, with the Mari wound strings being a bit lighter than D'Addarios in materials, and hence pulling a bit lighter tension.

Is the data in the pack in millimeters? If gauges differ by +/- 0.001" that's fine..

If the scale length of your Sandi is around 585 mm and the instrument is tuned Turkish DF#F#BBEEaadd that pulls about the same tension as the lower Arabic tuning CFFAADDggcc on a 615 mm oud. Both are OK.

The longer the scale the more tension for a given tuning and a given string set. If your scale is 585 you can tune it Arabic or Turkish with these strings. BUT if your scale is 615 mm, you should not tune it up to Turkish without expert advice for your specific oud, or lighter strings.

Renato
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 07:15 PM

thanks you guys. Good work! I´m convinced. Though I´m really digging my new gift pack of Caravan (Necati) strings, I know i´ll have to change them and put one of the left over packs of D´Addarios that i brought from Seattle.
There is NOTHING here in CHILE!!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 08:19 PM

It's the same in many areas, e.g. Romania. Someone should do the tests with Spanish guitar strings so we know once and for all how well they work. Where Spanish guitar strings are cheap and plentiful, it's worth knowing how well (or poorly) they work.

In the US an 11 string set made up of D'Addario single Classical Guitar strings comes to around $17.50, which is more than a set of Daniel Mari oud strings at $7.99, but in other countries it might be much cheaper (and the only strings available locally). I have an oud that I'm experimenting with, I have to put new strings on it. I'll try to order the guitar strings and try it "soon", but if anyone else has a more pressing need, it's explained in my long post in this thread:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10836

Go To Top