Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OT: weird phasing and delay effects in recordings
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 08:17 AM
OT: weird phasing and delay effects in recordings

Hi all. I have discovered quite a few old recordings of Farid El Atrash and Wadi El Safi online, all of which I like. The only problem is some of them they sound like they've been run through a guitar "phaser" pedal. For a few of these recordings there exist clean versions but for the rest I have been unable to find any. Moreover some of them sound like they've been run through a delay effect instead of a phaser which garbles the vocals and makes the oud playing sound a bit strange. My question is does anyone know how to counter either of these effects or if such a thing is even possible? Thanks in advance.
esteso
Oud Addict

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 11:41 AM

It's probably not possible though you might have some luck with an M/S decoder, which processes the side channels differently than the center channel. But even this is a long shot and it's relatively expensive. If you're computer savvy you can download a demo of Ozone and see if it works on the file.

Good luck!

Michael Telle
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 07:17 PM

These are probably tape artifacts.

Differences in tape head alignment can cause phase and flutter issues. Old tapes can have the magnetic fields "imprint" from one layer to the next, causing a delay effect (or even a reverse delay if the tape was stored wound the wrong way!).

These may be from the original tapes, but more likely we're hearing transfers from later reel-to-reel or cassette tapes that introduced these artifacts.

Who knows where the original tapes/acetates/etc. are, or if they even still exist.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top