Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Armenian Musician Wanting to Buy
Ryugu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 08:00 AM
Armenian Musician Wanting to Buy

Hi everyone! My name is Raffi and I'm relatively new to the forums, but from what I've seen this looks like a lovely community so I thought I'd start my own post :)

I'm an Armenian musician of around 6 years (guitar).
I'm currently in the studio (in the US) recording an album with my band, and I want to incorporate the Oud into some of the tracks. With that said, I am a beginner to the instrument itself, but an advanced guitarist and composer.

I've been searching for an Oud that I could use for studio purposes, but I'm finding it hard to find the right one.

My price range is around the 1500$ mark and i reside in the US. An Armenian luthier is what I prefer, but I am by no means focused on that.

If there is any other information I've left out that could help with the search, just let me know! :)
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 11:40 AM

I will have a brand new Dimitris Rapakousios available for sale in couple of weeks....
Where are you located?

Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 02:49 AM

Welcome Ryugu,

maybe have a look HERE, where someone also searched for an oud in studio quality. Though the opening posting has been deleted in the meantime, you might find some interesting information.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
azzizza
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 05:44 AM

Parev Raffi I have an oud for your needs please email me at armensevag@comcast.net

hajoghootiun
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ryugu  

I'm an Armenian musician of around 6 years (guitar).
I'm currently in the studio (in the US) recording an album with my band, and I want to incorporate the Oud into some of the tracks. With that said, I am a beginner to the instrument itself, but an advanced guitarist and composer.

i'm glad another armenian person is interested in oud but if you're going to put it on an album for people to listen to it should be played the way it is supposed to. oud is not played the way a guitar is, it takes years of study not just of the instrument but the modal structure (makams) that is the basis of all the music. find an experienced person to learn from and get feedback from. if you can't find someone like that then immerse yourself in recordings, then post samples of your playing on the forums here as you progress to get feedback from people here. or, just get someone else to play on the album. don't want to be discouraging but to me this is disrespecting the instrument and the musical culture.

if you want to learn from an armenian person then tell us where you are located maybe we can recommend someone. if we can't then you should be listening to (in no particular order): george mgrdichian, john berberian, richard hagopian, ara dinkjian, udi hrant, jack baghsarian. those are good to start.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 10:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by maran  
don't want to be discouraging but to me this is disrespecting the instrument and the musical culture.

And what do you think about DuOud and Speed Caravan? Are they disrespecting the instrument, because they play Rock?

Without wanting to be offensive, but such arguments remind me a bit of what happened, when Rock'n'Roll was played the first time on guitar.

Why not respect both worlds, traditional music besides new trends?

Greetings from Germany

Chris
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 09:25 AM

just find it odd that the guy is in the studio ready to record but does not even have an oud yet and has not played it before.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 10:45 AM

just find it odd ...

Let him just play a few notes and get infected with the "dangerous" oud virus ;)

I also came from the guitar to the oud and learned my lesson, that playing oud is very different, but it's still fun learning more and more. So far I only play my own Rock tunes and learn fretless bass in parallel (I played a fretted bass years ago), which was inspired by the oud ... but who knows, maybe some day I'll try traditional oud playing too.

One step after the other ;)

So far I enjoy composing and recording simple Rock tunes.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Aymara  
don't want to be discouraging but to me this is disrespecting the instrument and the musical culture.

And what do you think about DuOud and Speed Caravan? Are they disrespecting the instrument, because they play Rock?

Without wanting to be offensive, but such arguments remind me a bit of what happened, when Rock'n'Roll was played the first time on guitar.

Why not respect both worlds, traditional music besides new trends?

I don't think this is about genres, but about recording oneself playing an instrument that one doesn't know how to play.
If someone hasn't played oud before, there is no way he/she could produce a recording-quality performance right away. To think otherwise is to treat the oud as if it's not a serious instrument in its own right. It is understandable that this seems disrespectful.
Would anyone say, "I've never played cello before, but I'm in the middle of recording an album, so I want to get one and record some stuff". No one thinks they can record on cello without serious study, why should oud be any different.

The players with DuOud and Speed Caravan have spent time to seriously learn to play the instrument. The fact that they electrify the oud or pursue new genres is irrelevant at that point.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Tarbool59
Oud Maniac

Mood: No brain, no gain !

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 03:47 PM

Sometimes we forget that Oud is a just a medium to create art; whatever you play, the way you play, just the result is the goal..:bowdown:.

No brain = no gain
"Toute musique qui ne peint rien n'est que du bruit." (d'Alembert)
Paul Anderson
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 09:00 PM
oud for sale

Hello - I have a D. Ali Nisadir oud for sale. I paid $1700. for it and I would sell it to you for the same price. It has a hard shell case and a brilliant tone. I live in Sacramento, CA. My email is paulncandy@comcast.net More info on this oud can be found at http://www.udmaker.com Thanks,
Paul Anderson
musiccorner
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 05:12 AM
sukar electric oud

then you need to buy a sukar professional electric oud for $1500 including shipping to USA:bowdown:

GetAttachmentCA3PP5SN.jpg - 6kB

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
It is understandable that this seems disrespectful.

I see more overestimation of one's own capabilities than disrespect to the instrument, but who knows how much time he has available in the studio ... some simple melodies can be learned fast by a guitarist ... maybe a week? It depends how fast he get's used to fretless.

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Go To Top