Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with Arabic Script - and PHOTOSHOP
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 02:01 AM
Help with Arabic Script - and PHOTOSHOP

Hi Friends...

I need to learn how to make Arabic text with Photoshop...
I am using google translate and it works, but it does not go into photoshop properly - - -

any ideas???
thanks!

Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 07:00 AM

Have you tried Illustrator it has arabic caracters, you can draw them your self also, I am no expert but I've done it in the past
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 10:47 AM

well, the strange thing is that I can translate on google, and then copy this, then when I paste it into photoshop, it puts the same letter there but left to right! so I get the arabic word spent BACKWARDS!!!:mad:

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 09:27 AM

Edward what happens if you paste in to a text file?
FastForward
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 10:26 AM

There is a middle east version of Photoshop where text should work fine

http://www.fontworld.com/me/photoshopme.html

I would try using GIMP, its free. I think arabic should work.

Last, the pdf print with the option of converting text to path will convert the document to a vector graphics which you can edit with illustrator or photoshop.
ibn sina
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 05:33 AM

The characters print the wrong way because you need reverse direction (right to left). If you can find someone with the Arabic module of WordPerfect 5.1, that was the best ever. Alas! I don't have it anymroe either.
best,
Kiki
Abo Zaina
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-24-2010 at 09:40 AM

the below link is for Al Rassam program, it supports Arabic writing for Adobe or any other desiging programs that don't support Arabic writing

http://www.absba.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&...

Haven't try it but it is the most commonly used program along with Adobe
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 8-24-2010 at 05:27 PM

Hi Edward, did you get it sorted?

If you're using Windows you will need to install the language pack and right to left script support, you'll need your Windows installation disc, but it's quick and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 12:02 AM

Hi Sazi...

Well, I will tell you what happened finally. . . . . originally I needed to be able to write in Arabic script because I am making an album with Mohammed Antar. We did not have enough time in Cairo to learn our music well enough just to record it live as a CD. We had to record it all in fragments to be edited together later - - by who, me. At the time I felt I would be ok with doing this, but later began feeling that the deal is not fair - to split the ownership of the CD 50/50, while I would have about 400 hours of additional work being responsible for producing this Cd.

It was my fault for not being clear about this with Antar in the beginning... because when I finally mentioned that I would need some compensation for the unbalance workload, he balked, and would not accept anything less than 50/50. However he offered to let me use his ney tracks that he recorded of my compositions - so I can simply add a few more of my own tunes and make the CD an "Edward Powell" Cd, which is what I am doing now - hence, I will only used English text.

In addition to the misunderstanding we had that I mentioned above, I was also feeling restricted working with Antar. He is a true master of maqam music, and also composes Western music - however there are some musical areas that I have a lot of experience with that we are not able to share together - so finally I began to feel limited , , , and since at the end of the day, maqam music is only one "part" of what I do, then I began to feel like whole musical parts of me were being amputated in that working situation.

All this has giving me more clarity as to what direction I want to move in musically. Mostly I am more convinced with the idea of working locally - with people I can find living nearby. Where we have common interest, and real time to put things together in a relaxed way. My music will never by "pure" anything - because I don't come from a "pure" culture. . .

I never intended to learn Indian or Middle-eastern music to play those musics in the traditional form and then go out and compete professionally with indigenous musicians. However, in order to gain depth of learning one must at least for a certain time participate musically in this way - but finally all that "learning" comes to an end, and then you just do the best with what you have, and focus on producing something rather than assimilating ever more.

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 05:30 AM

I'm with you there, except I believe (for me at least), the learning never ends, no matter what you are going to do with it.

Learning other peoples tunes may end, but I often hear some technique I don't know yet and would like to incorporate into my own playing.

It appears you are learning about the business of making music...:rolleyes:

Best wishes for your project

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 05:38 AM

I think a musician's life goes in 3 stages:
1- study
2- produce
3- teach

of course all 3 can happen simultaneously but it is a question of what is the main priority. Previously I could never go too much into the business side of music because I was not finished "learning". Of course there is still more I would like to study, but if I don't get busy "putting something out", then I will be dead before I have time to make use of what I learned.

in each phase there is a different kind of learning.....

I have decided to put 4 old tunes together with the 4 tunes we did with Antar... now this is really a challenge to make it all fit together, cuz those old tunes are either very bluesy or very indian... not much maqam influence at all.

Go To Top