Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: good woods and strings?
Rob
Oud Admirer

Mood: glad to be here

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 11:52 PM
good woods and strings?

good woods and strings?

i'm looking to get an oud soon from Istanbul, can anyone recomend good woods (to complement a warm resonant tone) also do the quality of strings vary much? what are good strings to use?

also does anyone know of a good teacher in Istanbul?

any advice would be appreciated

thanks
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 02:30 AM

La Bella and Aquila nylgut strings are good.Ihave sent a U2U message also to your inbox.
Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Rob
Oud Admirer

Mood: glad to be here

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:32 PM

Thankyou Haluk

Regards

Rob
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:01 AM

Does the wood on the back of the oud affect the sound significantly? I know that the soundboard is the important part, but, as far as the bowl, does the type of wood significantly affect sound? Also, does anybody still use gut strings on their oud? I am wondering how much different that sound is? I am using La Bella OU 80s, which I do like a lot on my Turkish ouds.
Thanks
Jonathan
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 08:39 AM

Hello Jonathan,

My understanding is that the back's function is two-fold: to reflect the sound is main function; secondly and to a lesser extent resonate (not absorb any coupled vibrations.) So if the back is made of softer wood which may absorb more of the sound and vibrations from soundboard and neck, this would have an undesirable dampening effect. The hrader the wood and smoother it is on the inside the better. Perhaps an oud with a back made out of concrete would have ideal sound qualities (more sound reflection, minimum vibration absorption!) but who wants that. I also wonder if dry bent back isn't better than wet bent back... Dr. Oud and other luthiers?

As for strings, I have been using both Nylon and Aquila Nylgut at the same time in my oud for a while now and I think that the Nylgut course sounds warmer and more melodic for an oud.

Elie
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 09:09 AM

Thanks a lot. I wasn't too sure how available the gut strings were, but now that I have a brand, I am going to order them.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 09:30 AM

Hey guys,

This is an interesting topic for me, because each of my ouds has a distinctive sound. I think it's because of the wood used for the bowl, and there have been discussions about this before. A question I have though is, was it common to use a thin coat of finish on the inside of the oud bowl, and what, if any, effect does that have on sound? Astrid did this on her last oud I believe, and her oud sounds excellent.

Look for some new videos of 3 different Shehata ouds. I should have them by the weekend. We can compare and contrast the sounds for the same maker (with the same bracing I'm assuming), but different woods used for the oud bowls.

Take care,
Mike

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
A question I have though is, was it common to use a thin coat of finish on the inside of the oud bowl, and what, if any, effect does that have on sound? Astrid did this on her last oud I believe, and her oud sounds excellent.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Looking forward to the videos.

Here is my 1 cent on the coating the inside: if the coating material is selected to improve the reflection of the sound compared to the bare wood then that would a plus. Also coating the inside of the of bowel would further stabilize the oud so it is less affected by the humidity variation so I would think the sound would be more consistant. But you know varnish is a sensitive and illusive subject when it comes to lutherie is what I have been finding and almost as secretive as the bracing. If you'll read this article http://www.sempleguitars.com/articles/cgart07.htm, you'll see what I mean.

I even wonder about using the paper strips and glue method in inforcing the rib joints on the inside, perhaps a better method is to use decorative inlay strips to inforce the rib to rib glue joints from the outside instead (here is a new idea, I wonder if it'll catch on?)

PS. Where can I listen to Astrid's oud.

Take care,
Elie

Go To Top