Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The never ending buzz!
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 06:44 AM
The never ending buzz!

Update: the "buzzing" doesn't really sounds phisiological. The upper string of the third pair is buzzing and resonating like a sitar drone!
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 08:17 AM

maybe the string touches sth in the pegbox(dont ask if it affects, it surely does!!! :D)

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 09:21 AM

Try to pull the strings and then tune them again, and pull them again, until the buzz goes away. If not maybe look at the bridge if the end of the string is not in contact with the board. If still you have theses buzzes it could be from many other reason, try to search this forum, the subject has been discussed a lot. And most important: don't be sad from it ;-)
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 02:21 PM

I did a restringin experiment and the problem does not disappear.. could be the nut or the neck, but the neck seems perfect at my eyes and feeling. What would you suggest me to do??
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 03:04 PM

Update: i thought it was a loose brace but even if it comes out an harmonic by tapping the soundboard there is no rattling or vibrating noise. The buzz comes from the string.

I did this other experiment: if i play the note the buzzing string is tuned on on another string it starts resonating like a sitar sympatethic string :D

What would you suggest me to do?
teslim
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2010 at 11:46 PM

try putting a nylon string under that string in front of the nut(to raise it) to see if that eliminates the buzz... it may be that the slot on the nut for that string is too low and the string is resonating off the fingerboard when it moves in harmony with an overtone...you can fill that slot and cut a new notch, put a small shim under the nut to raise it or make a new nut..
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 04:10 AM

Hi Teslim, the nylon string eliminates the buzz. How would you suggest me to fill the slot?
corridoio
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 10:51 AM

Hi Peppe
I made this filling the slot with bone dust then just one or two drops of cyanoacrylate glue over and let it dry.
I red somewhere that you can use also baking soda (bicarbonato di sodio) instead of bone dust but never try that way.
You have to use masking tape all around the slot to prevent errors. Then you can remake the groove, here is really better if you have one of these nut files with the right dimensions for the string you will put in the groove.. these files cost a lot unfortunately.

Ale
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 04:50 PM

There are tiny files used to clean welding equipment, very inexpensive, like $4.49 for a set.

Hobart File-Type Tip Cleaners
Stainless steel wire files for cleaning the gas orifices of cutting and brazing tips. Twelve files from 49 to 75, plus a tip file in aluminum case.

#770084 Small
#770085 Large

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770084-File-Cleaners-Small/dp/B002ACOX...
corridoio
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the link F., have you ever tried these files for nut slots?

Peppe, since the "sitar zing" comes probably from a rounding in the groove of the slot where the string exits from the nut (keyboard side), probably some passes on the grove with the right file would flatten it and stop the problem without lowering the action too much.

Ale

PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I made some adjustements to the nut height and the oud came back to his original splenour.

Go To Top