Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to buy an oud in Montreal
amf98cl
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 06:19 PM
Want to buy an oud in Montreal

Hi, I'm looking for a qood quality turkish or arabic oud 11 strings around 500$, preferably in area of montreal (Canada).

I've seen some selling online like these ones, they are made by Mehet or Sandi but look exactly the same, not sure about the quality since they seem to be mass produced.

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OUDTM&CartID=2

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OUDTP&CartID=1

Any suggestion is welcome!
Thanks
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 07:46 PM

The ouds you are referencing are distributed by Mid-East Manufacturing. You can review their web site. They are a growing company that brings in containers of stuff, from oud plectra to dumbeks. They sell direct, but they mainly supply every shop on the 'net, which retail the stuff at a slightly lower price. Nobody here that I can recall has recently purchased one of their ouds. The reviews I have seen elsewhere are quite mixed, with their Turkish instruments allegedly better finished.

The topic of inexpensive ouds has been worked into the ground, you should use the Forum's Search.

What we see happening that's new of late is that several shops in Turkey are offering instruments on e-bay and in direct, ranging from $200-$1000, which seem accurately described, from "starter ouds" all they way to "professional ouds", made of expensive woods. We had suffered in the past from a disease in which every Arabic oud was described as "professional", with completely inaccurate descriptions. Turkish ouds might generally be better finished than Arabic ones, with lower actions.

Aside from the more expensive established luthiers, who can surely offer you quality at a price, since you can buy directly from Instanbul, and there are ways to get good Arabic ouds from Cairo, I doubt that buying one of these bulk Mid-East instruments from one of their resellers is the best bang for the buck.

ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 09:57 PM

Hey there,
Check your U2U...
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 03:38 PM

Hello,
I have a Salmeen Oud for sale. I live downtown.
email me at:
fadi.halawi@gmail.com
amf98cl
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 11:43 AM

I bought one !

Thanks everyone for your comments and your support!

Go To Top