Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: measurements on oud
stingerz
Oud Maniac

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 10:40 PM
measurements on oud

hi guys..jus a question, for arabic oud the measurements r frm 60cm to 61.5 cm rite? can i know is it from the head till the end of the neck or just the neck itself??

warm regards,
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 12:06 AM

They mean the scale, i.e. the length of the string from nut to bridge.

Though they most often have a 600-620 mm scale, Arabic ouds can range from 580 to 630 mm in scale, they overlap with Turkish ouds. The question is what you mean by "Arabic": timbre or origin or design or construction or tuning or ?

stingerz
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 04:58 PM

i just would like to know the length of the neck..is it the same for arabic oud and turkish or iraqi. cos i might build my own oud . i m jst confused with the measurements..
Greg
Administrator
Thread Pruned
7-20-2010 at 07:01 AM
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 01:16 PM

If you want to build an oud, I don't understand why you are asking such questions here out of context. You've got a lot of reading and experimenting ahead of you before you can even begin to build something. People have taken the trouble to write, for centuries. You need to take the time to read. All the dimensions are interrelated, it's like saying you want to build a car and asking how long the camshaft should be.

nasrudinjeh
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 03:11 PM

I respectfully urge you, stingerz, to consult two sources of information. One is Richard Hankey's indispendable guide avaailable at http://www.droud.com/book.htm , supplemented by Robert Lundberg's Historiclical Lute Construction, available from the Guild of American Luthier's Website at http://www.luth.org/books/book.htm . I'd like to wish you all good things in pursuing your interest in building an oud. In the meantime, pleaswe don't judge our website community on the basis of anyone's foul temper and worse manners as self-apponted scold. The site is itself chockfull of practical wisdom about building an oud, and I hope you take the time and opporetunity to discover them for youself, and let us know about the headwya you make. Best of luck to you.
stingerz
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 09:28 PM

y are u so tense up? i m just asking a simple question. thats all. if that is yr advise then forget about it. learning is all about asking questions. without asking them, you are no where. no need to get stuck up here. for example the difference between classical guitar and acoustic. but they are still guitar. that is y i m asking question about the oud!

its ok then i ll ask some1 who knows then.

Go To Top