Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 1917 Abdo Nahat--astonishing work and an amazing story
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 06:01 AM

Those are the best pics I have.

Joe, I've always wanted to build a replica of this oud, and I've spent a fair amount of time trying to break down the process over the past few years. Wow. It's been over 4 years since I posted that! Mostly its an issue of duplicating the complex inlays. I've figured out the pattern for the finer geodesic-style geometric pattern (the other ribbon-style one is easy), but making it in a large quantities is the problem. I won't do it unless it looks exactly like the original. Some of the pieces are about the size of a toothpick, and they are crisp. Abdo, or whoever did the inlay, was at the top of his game. Same with the bird and vine pattern, that's extremely fine work just to cut out, and inlaying it is even trickier. I don't see any filler around the inlay. It's really impeccable. The rosette is doable. I'd love to document this instrument with photos and measurements, but who knows where it is? I've tried to contact Hamza's widow with no luck.

Mrcook
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 12:57 PM

Hi, Rufi said that Hamza used La Bella au80a strings, and tuned his oud DGADGC, would anyone recommend these strings for this tuning?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 02:16 PM

I don't know who Rufi or Hamza are, or why this unrelated comment is on an ancient thread, but the OU80A LaBella set is made for this tuning:
F A d g c' f'

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top