Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud in Armenian American Life
azzizza
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 06:22 AM
Oud in Armenian American Life

http://www.theoudplayer.com/2010/06/my-paper/

Interesting paper by my bandmate Antranig about the oud in Armenian American consciousness. Enjoy.

Armen
http://www.aravod.com
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 02:02 PM

Hi Armen

Thanks for posting that, I found it really interesting particularly the ambiguities and contradictions that occur when traumatic memory, unspoken and unexpressed fragments of identity form taboo.

I can recognise some of these silences in my own family past in my mother's family and friends and present in my mother and other Armenians I have met in the UK, it's as if there is not the full natural expression of all that is there yet it is probably bursting to get out.

Then there are us subsequent generations, not sure how you count them but my Grandparents are the direct link to Armenia, my mother grew up in Tehran and my dad is (a very good) Englishman.

There are aspects of my own sensibility that are very definately not English and since playing oud I have found expression of some of this. Where I differ I think is that I am willing to talk about absolutely anything and will confront things, not much is taboo in terms of these aspects. I have learnt though to respect my Mother's way of being more and more - I can only put this down to maturity on my part:)) what else could it be??

I thought it was fascinating the way you describe how Armenians and Greeks had 'de-Anatoliated' their musical sensibility, and yet the wonderful Ara has helped reintroduced this back to Greece, maybe a little like UK bands introduced Blues into the States in the 60's?? Also I think of Mavrothis and his work in relation to this, but he can speak far more elonquently and knowledgably for himself.

This could turn into one long post, so I'll stop here. Good health to you all and your music. Play in peace and understanding.

Leon
Koya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-6-2010 at 05:16 AM

Hello,
:applause:Very interesting. I like it.:applause::cool:
Thanks for sharing. Excellent.
Koya

Go To Top