Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: strings order in the peg box
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 02:37 AM
strings order in the peg box

Hi guys

im really ashamed to say this, but after three years using this string order, now i ask my self: why do i use this order?

here is the way i arrange my 13 strings. the U reffers to the upper string, all double strings are arranged like the red one.

ill be glad if u tell me the way u use and advantages of ur way.

thanx

34085_137514116272226_100000409160431_282283_5027965_n.jpg - 117kB

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 03:53 AM

If it works for you, great. What this looks like is how 6 course Sukars come from the factory, which is as 5 course ouds, then they add the 6th. Yours looks like a 6 course that a 7th high course was added to. I don't like this way because the highest course ends up being harder to tune, with thin strings running all the way back to the far pegs. Because of the stretching, there's a huge dead-band where I turn and nothing happens, then the pitch jumps, and it's a hit or miss affair.

I like the "standard" way, as below, your top course would be on the green pegs. Since mine are 6 courses, the 5th course straddles the pegbox so the single bass string ends up on the easier to reach top side, that's important if you retune it a lot. I suppose I could put both strings of the 5th course on the far side, but with the crossed way, it works the same even if there are only 11 pegs, plus no string has to reach all the way to the farthest 12th peg. As to stringing order, I've always done it according to that diagram, and I've never had problems with tangling. When I retro-fitted PVF trebles once I could not follow that order, and it was an unexpected headache to slip the strings under existing ones, so I will all the more respect that order.

Your blue pegs, my A1 and A2 below, are the hardest to reach, a real hand-breaker tuning the A course.

arabic stringpeg.jpg - 34kB bridge view Ar.jpg - 12kB
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 05:47 AM

thanx, thats a lil confusing u know, but i thing i got it. u recommend binding the higher strings closer to the neck, right? so what happens for the 13 strings? thats it?

34085_137514116272226_100000409160431_282283_5027965_n.jpg - 113kB

David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 11:53 AM

Hi spyblaster,

I looked furtively on your photo and I quited directly: You cross the strings! It might buzz. After, if it works for you, as Tony said...

What is important (to me) it's to start to tune on the G then c, D, AA, CC and at last FF: It respects the implantation of the pegs and I won't untune the AA strings, for example, if I tune G next because the AA strings are laid on the G ones.

6090_1146227786730_1558601928_347686_6845486_n.jpg - 49kB
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 02:05 PM

lol thats coz those are recycled strings :D a lot of extra ties. i cant identify ur arrangement but it appears like mine. i just tied the high ff to the last pegs. now thats what im askin' : what do u recommend for the 13 strings?

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 03:51 PM

OK, here is what I would do, and which of these you like best is a matter of what's easy to remember I think. For me the important thing is not to put the FF thin course all the way back there.

I understand that there's a valid argument for keeping the other strings where they normally go, so if you want to tune the G, it's where it always is. But I KNOW that pulling those ff strings all the way to the back is miserable, they stretch too much, so I would rather think "top course should be where top course is: first pegs far side, second course: first pegs top side" and so on, not worry about whether the 2nd course is C or G. As to preventing crosses, it seems logical to extend how it's done for 6 courses. But I've never had a 7 course, maybe there are other considerations.

13StringPegboxA.jpg - 64kB 13StringPegboxB.jpg - 64kB 13StringPegboxC.jpg - 63kB
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 02:39 AM

thanx fernand. u know, the problem is that i cant bind the ff strings to those pegs. they slide to the other strings.
edited: sorry, problem solved. thanx a lot :D

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 03:15 PM

Mine is

C - farthest to the left top side

FF - next peg to the right (as C)

AA - next peg to the right (FF)

DD - Nearest peg on the nut (top side)

gg - Nearest peg on the nut (down side)

cc - next on to the left of gg

ff - farthest to the left last pair

and as to the pairs left string first then the right e.g so left to right the order in pairs if you put in the pegbox.

ex. AA

first A - left the next A - right going to the pegs.

cheers

Philip

:D

I did not have any problems.............

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"

Go To Top