Printable Version  
Author: Subject: String out of tune
MrOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 10:06 AM
String out of tune

Hello all,

I haven't been to the forum in a very long time. I hope everyone is doing OK.
A question for our builders and repairers:
I recently picked up a very nice Turkish oud. I have a tuning problem with one of the nylon strings. The A string sounds perfectly unison when I play it open, but slightly out of tune when I play it fingered. The tuning gets worse as I move my finger down the board.
I suspect the nut is causing this. Any ideas?

Best,

Udi Mike
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 01:41 PM

Try reversing one or the other of the two strings. I have heard that the string stock will narrow sometimes when drawn out of the die. If that narrowness falls in the right place when the stock is cut to string length it would cause that string to note higher when fingered. Not an infallible cure, I'm sure, but I have had luck with it.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 02:06 PM

IMO...
The explanation of this phenomenon is due to a problem with either the nut or the way the strings are strung at the bridge. If the strings are not being stopped to create an equal string length by the bridge loops and the nut then you could have a situation where you can tune them both to the same pitch when playing them opened but when using your finger to stop the strings at an equal length it makes the pitch no longer equal. It seems like the further down the fingerboard you go, the worse this dissonance gets...

Although, it could very well be an issue with the string manufacturing but reputed brands will usually have pretty strict production quality standards so I am not sure if its really a big factor.
I have had this happen on various occasion here is what I have done to resolve this.

first make sure that the strings are stable and are not still stretching too much. You can accelerate the process by stretching them by hand and retuning a few times.

step 1: Look at the bridge, make sure that the loops which stop the string are making the string equal string length. If they are not equal push them so that they are equal. Tune the oud again.

Step 2: if the problem is not resolved it means that the strings are not being stopped at the same length by the nut. What I like to do in this situation is to take a nylon G-string. (get your mind out of the gutter) the string that is tuned to G not the other kind of g-string :) Cut a little piece of it and slide it under the strings near the nut. Use a risha to push that piece of string flush against the nut right under both the strings. it will stop the strings at the right length and make tuning easier.

if that fails,
change your string around,

if that fails,
change the strings and buy a reputable brand,

if that fails,
take your instrument to a oud luthier. (if your close to new york I believe Najib Shaheen could help you out. If your close to philadelphia, you could try to contact Mr.Dincer Dalkilic although I think he may sadly be retired from oud making)

All the best.

Samir.

Go To Top