Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Risha help
jenni
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 11:56 AM
Risha help

I am having some difficulties with deciding how to use the risha. I really want to improve the speed, especially with "egyptian technique" (is that the right term?)

i've been told to not bend my wrist, to bend it, to move my whole forearm, to only move my wrist... it's getting confusing. and i had a recent bout of tendonitis which seemed to go away when i changed my hand position, but i still feel tension - mind you, this could simply be because i'm still a beginner and the muscles aren't used to it.

any advice? videos? exercises to practice?
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 12:50 PM

Hi jenni,

If you feel excessive tension, especially pain, or you feel your forcing a particular position, its usually a good sign from your body that the position may not be right for you. I cant describe the perfect technique although there are a few things that I have found helpful.

Its important to bear in mind that there isn't a "standard" position. Ive seen many oud players and whilst most have similarities in their techniques, they also have slight differences.

Im not sure what you mean about "egyptian technique", however most players tend to hold the risha between the thumb and 1st finger with the tail of the risha resting in the palm of the hand and remaining fingers. Your grip shouldn't be too hard nor too relaxed. If too hard your wrist-forearm may tense up making playing difficult. If too relaxed it may be difficult to accurately control the risha. The wrist is usually bent when playing, however the angle can vary between players. I tend to slightly bend my wrist, but not too much as I found in the early days this eventually became quite painful.

Ive been told that the motion for plucking the strings should be generated by the wrist, NOT by moving the arm (like strumming a guitar).

Practice different aspects of risha technique such as downstrokes, upstrokes, tremelo. Practice on one string, between the strings, scales, etc. The list of exercises are extensive, you can find many on websites (see below).

The website OudCafe has some useful tips which are worth a look.

http://www.oudcafe.com/oud_basics.htm

OudProff has alot of videos on youtube that show good risha technique. He also sells a DVD that outlines the basics of learning the oud.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OudProff

It may be useful to watch some videos on youtube of different players, how they hold the risha, their wrist, how they pluck the strings.

Nasser Houari

Munir Bashir

Theres alot that can be said for risha technique, more than I can go on to say here. Im sure others will be able to provide more useful information than me.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 01:10 PM

I'm no oud instructor, but what I've found is that the risha's swing is a key part of the oud's sound. Play with a short pick, or fingers, and it's like a different instrument, an interesting instrument, but not an oud.

And it is a swing, you want to find a position where the wrist is loose and swings back and forth, the tail of the risha, like the tail of a small rodent, helps balance the swing; a long tail helps. Don't want to choke the rodent, nor let it escape ;-) Depending on your anatomy, and the dimensions of the oud, the forearm will feel most natural approaching from above or from below, if you look it up, it's been discussed here before. If you tense up the arm it's more likely to cause inflammation and pain. The forearm straight, motionless, the wrist pivots and the risha catches the strings, back and forth. Practice scales and maqamat ascending and descending, with the risha up, down, up down.

Then tremolo, faster, the risha catches the strings at an angle so it effortlessly slides into and out of the strings, for a second, two, but not long enough to cramp up, then go back to restful, leasurely rocking, up, down, up, down. :airguitar:

jenni
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 09:18 AM

Thank you, mehran! I've never heard of oudcafe before- it has a lot of useful information!!

I love your metaphor fernandraynaud! haha. i did what you suggested yesterday, i will keep practicing - i hope with a few more hours of disciplined practice the cramping will stop. I really think a big part of this is how much I'm bending my wrist...i've seen good oud players bending their wrists, but maybe the tension from it is just something that usually starts showing up in the long run.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 01:34 PM

My favorite risha technique exemplar is Simon Shaheen. His style looks very "orthodox" to me, and I think that's a good place to start (though not necessarily where you need to end up). There are lots of videos of him on YouTube.

Good luck,
John
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 02:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mNxwgAmTKM&feature=related

Incredible technique in this video. You can see that he repositions himself several times during this piece.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 02:10 PM

Jenni,
I am in Ottawa now but I am from Montreal...
next time I am in montreal I will show you.

Its combination of the arm and the wrist in my opinion.

The way I explain tremolo is to think of as one of those springs you see at the bottom of the doors :)

You have to start with your arm and wrist quite relaxed... lift it a little further then usual above the course you want to play it on. The important part is the "attack" it has to come down hard enough to give your hand some inertia... as soon as the risha connect now you stiffen your arm and continue the motion with your wrist. think of it as you hit that spring BOINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggggggg........... practice keeping a steady rhythm and increase your speed and length of the tremolo.

hope this helps.
you will eventually develop the muscles to get your speed and control up.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 02:14 PM

look at 2:45 in the video merhan posted.
thats the way to do it. :D
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 03:37 PM

Check this video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2_Y49QKmpQ&NR=1

It just shows you can do it anyway really as long as it sounds good.
jenni
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-4-2010 at 09:21 AM

Yeah, that guy's wrist is bent and his thumb is bent - it looks uncomfortable! But if it works it works :)
where is he from btw? is this turkish or something?

On another note my tremolo has improved a lot and without tension. it's still not consistent, but getting easier. samir i liked your "boooing" explanation-as humorous as it was, this has helped me a lot!!!
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-4-2010 at 09:43 AM

Yeah, hes a Turkish musician.

The consistency will come with time, its just practice practice like any other instrument. try practicing upstrokes and downstrokes separately i found helps.

If you havent already, you should download the jamil bashir oud methods (1 & 2). There are some really good studies in these books. The text is in arabic, but the music has western notation (which is what is important)
jenni
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-4-2010 at 02:48 PM

perfect! i can print it for free right here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6257
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 01:36 PM

Hi Jenny :wavey:

Philip here,

Im no Instructor also but try using the rest stroke technique in classical.

E.g. when u hit the string downstroke u rest on the next string softly then upstroke the same string normally,
This is how I do alternate. this applies in a slow to moderate tempo.

When increasing tempo the risha is getting closer to the strings as possible. Keep a steady wrist movement.

Dont Use forearm for picking just wrist rotation. (this is how I do it)

It also depends on your forearm placement. Choose which is the most comfortable postion of forearm

1. HIGH (Almost on the elbow joint on the edge of yur oud)
2. Medium ( Forearm little lower away from the elbow)
3. Low ( Forearm placement is almost near the hand or palm)

Bec I believe these 3 position dictates what kind of movement r u gonna use when picking

It only boils down to 2 choices:

1. Wrist
2. Forearm

If u r comfortable on forearm the you probably better of on the high position which yur elbows are almost on the edge pivoting.

Then if u feel better on wrist, lower it a bit instead of near the elbows
its now halfway into to your hand.

Hope u understand what I meant.
Cheers
Philip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"

Go To Top