Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Samai Bayat by Ibrahim Al Eryan
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 10:03 PM
Samai Bayat by Ibrahim Al Eryan

We were asked to play live music at intermission at a hafla. we never practiced together and the percussionists are not familiar with Samai Thakil (10/8).
So this was like a jam session.
After processing this movie several time, the end keeps getting cut off so I gave up.
the lights come on at about 2:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOhS3Gk3uE

All comments positibe or negative are welcome.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 04:13 PM

Good job bravo

myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 06:39 PM

Thanks Souheil!
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 07:38 PM

great improvement dear Friend
It's like yesterday when you showed me the scores and told me that you want to play this samai....you nailed it in a short term showing perseverance and hard work :bowdown:
bravo again

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:31 AM

Well done my friend!
was this your first time playing in front of strangers on a stage? As Souheil said it, you nailed it :)

I remember the first few times I played in an arabic restaurant setting... the hardest part is that people's mentality has changed and they no longer pay attention to the music or musicians. They talk loudly (scream at each other across the table) and they are rude.

When I have kids and they start talking at the table when there is a musical piece like this it wont be pretty :)
Skot Ouleh!

Btw: Souheil, are you back in Montreal now?
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 02:40 PM

yes...back home..home sweet home
left Adel playing oud alone :( but it seems he's doing great:airguitar:

mrkmni
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 03:41 PM

Overall it is good; 1:17 slight slip.
also few mistakes in rhythm..
thanks for sharing.
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 06:07 PM

katakofka,

Many thanks for your guidance, support and encouragement to perform. I can't thank you enough for you patience and all that you've done for me. One day I hope to have one tenth of your talent. Hope you're enjoying the warm weather while it lasts.

Samir,

"skot ya-walla" is a flashback to my childhood..lol This is the second time for me to play for a large audience. I've played informally before to a small audience at Mosaic Cafe and for several weeks in a band where my oud was drowned out except for the occasional taqasim inbetween songs... (no pressure). For this show, they had only half hour to eat before part two of the dance show so their attention was divided which is a good thing because I'm still polishing Samai Bati. Earlier in the show, I played for a dancer and did several other pieces which I hesitate to post because I don't want to over do it on this forum.

Ya bakhtak! You get to hang with Souheil... I predict a duo recording of some type. I also predict your children to have amazing musical talent... you heard it hear first!

If you are still reading...lol do you mind if I ask what is your usual repertoire when you perform? do you plan before hand or do you play as per the mood of the galsa?

Mrkmni,

You are right. This is the second time for our group to play together and there was a flutest not apparent in the video. we never practiced this piece and before I recited it, I played the taslim twice and asked the percusionists to play a rythm. I'm aware that it requires Samai Thakil 10/8. I felt that this would be OK for the "Western" audience till our group gets to learn more about Arabic musical form. It was a great opportunity to practice the Samai and get some type of recording for feedback of my performance with percussion and at the same time have an appreciative audience. I believe this method of learning and improving is called "da3k" in Arabic...lol Thanks for watching :)

Mascun
Oud Maniac

Mood: Top of the world !

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 01:40 AM

I admire you for keeping the music flowing despite the really noisy environment. True, the percussion is not not Samai Thakil, but the music is really nice to listen to :applause:
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mascun  
I admire you for keeping the music flowing despite the really noisy environment. True, the percussion is not not Samai Thakil, but the music is really nice to listen to :applause:

Thanks Mascun,

keeping the flow was easy since no one in the room really knew the music.... ha ha. But good things came out of that day. I met other dancers and musicians. Shems, a dancer and good friend, was a producer of one of the greatest Belly Dance Shows in Baltimore and invited me to join other musicians to play ensemble music for dancers.
We performed for over 300 spectators (sold out show). I got to perform with a violin, nay, riqq and tabla. Here is a recording of our music. The first two songs are from our rehearsal, the next two are live. They're not the greates recordings and it would help to have headphones.

Samai Bayati is the first song (rehearsal). The still photos are of the actual dancers.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1562597017873&saved#!...

Go To Top