Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Info on pegs made of apricot
Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-5-2010 at 05:27 AM
Info on pegs made of apricot

Hey Oud community,

I have a quick question for you guys, on my Oud, I have pegs made of apricot wood (mishmish), I am having little problems with them, the Oud get out tuned pretty easily, they don't hold the tuning for long time, specially during summer, after an hour and half of practice the oud is out of tuning it seems that all the strings go down all together, i have to tighten them up, i notice it a lot when I play with our orchestra, I played once in a live performance and I was hitting the strings a bit harder because of the noise, I was out of tune every twenty minutes, is this normal? Is it because of the mishmish wood? String quality, I have Labella for turkish ouds and the oud is tuned ddaaeebbGGDD (which is ok) they are 3 months old now.

Thanks for your help.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-5-2010 at 09:26 AM

Apricot wood is not too bad a wood for the pegs. Ebony and Rosewood are ideal but other hard woods are ok if they are made of a harder wood then the pegbox.

My first guess is that the problem is probably due to poorly fitted pegs
or that somehow the peg holes have been to finished with the shellac or lacquer
or another type of "lubricant" like chalk or wax has been applied to the pegs and its making them slip.

Go To Top