Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rofan Nahat 1916 Beauty
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 8-15-2010 at 08:58 AM
Rofan Nahat 1916 Beauty

Rofan Nahat 1916 oud

Rofan Nahat (pronounced just the same as "raw fan") was supposed to be born some-when in the early 1860's, as Dr. Oud has indicated in his site, under the Nahat chronology chart. Rofan was the second son of George Abdo Nahat, born before his brothers Hanna & Anton & after the legendary Abdo (1863-1941), with whom he launched their "Carpentry Shop" in Qaimerieh quarter in Damascus, called "Ikhwan Nahat" (Nahat Brothers) in 1880. To establish a business, one should be more than just a kid, so I believe they were both born at least before 1860, even though I couldn't find any reference to support this assumption.

Rofan is believed to be working with his associate brother Abdo for two decades or so, until they split into two different firms in the early 1900. Abdo's independent label indicates, underneath his "new" photo, it's from 1900, though the label says the firm was established in 1880. However we're still able to see some Ikhwan Nahat roses & labels even afterwards, like this one from1907 posted here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7062#pid435... Anyhow, people believe Ikhwan Nahat firma kept going on even through the 20th century, but the info about this issue is still rather vague.

Rofan Nahat stood on his own as a great luthier, as we've seen from the very little masterpieces he'd left us until he actually seized to build ouds, or passed away some-when in the 1920's. I've never encountered any of his oud, carrying 1930's date or so, and the last label I've seen in person was from 1919 . Pls. Correct me if I'm wrong !

This particular piece of art was built in 1916, a whole dark one color ribs walnut bowl with brighter wooden inlays, apparently of pine or some other almond family tree wood.
Paint : French polished with shelac, restored by me .

The soundboard is made of medium-high quality spruce, very well kept as to a 94 years soundboard. Some may dare to claim it has been replaced during the years, but I tend to believe it hasn't. See the photos for yourself and judge.

The inlays on the soundboard are "S" shaped, similar to what we've seen a lot on Abdo's & Ikhwan's ouds, & after which Jameel Khalaf has designed his Nahat replicas. The pickguard is walnut, seems to be lately restored a bit .

The fingerboard and the nut are both made of bone, while the almond/heart on top of the neck block has been replaced with a wooden one, after the latter bone-like one turned out to be of some cheap plastic raw material that has been deformed after decades of playing. I don't really know, but I don't think this plastic/nylon-like materials have yet been known back in 1916 , so I tend to believe it wasn't the original one either.

The neck is made of some light wood, coated with walnut veneer with a the same bowl inlays of brighter wood.
The rose is dark wood, mostly walnut, though I couldn't exclude rosewood, with a small Rofan Nahat bone rosette right in the center.

The pegbox is perfectly built & inlayed, equipped with dark wooden pegs, apparently the original, spotted with a golden spot on top. Some of these golden dots have eventually dropped during the century.

Dimensions : 49.5 X 34.5 X 19.5 cm
Scale : 61 cm, neck 20.3 cm
Weight: 1027 grams, including the pegs
Strings : Pyramid Lute Strings (special oud set) 0.625, 0.725, 1011, 1016, 1024, 1036
Tuning : CGDAFC
Sound: medium treble C & G, deep colorful bass in DAFC

We've paid a fortune to purchase this piece of art, after long exhausting months of negotiations; but money comes and goes, while ouds stay. Therefore we're very content with this purchase, though some of our friends think we've paid much more than this oud worth. Who cares ? I have already forgotten the money I had paid, but can still "remember" the oud on my sofa, on daily basis. I have always assumed that the buyer of such beauties is the real premium winner, no matter what he pays, while the whole loss is the seller's !
I hope this is the case here !

The players stated that the oud kept functioning well, even while playing on the third & forth positions, no buzzes whatsoever were detected. Later on I'll post soundfiles, so listen & judge.

We might be able to discover more of Rofan's rare masterpieces in the next months to come, so stay tuned. Are there any interested ?

Enjoy
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Rofan 1916 F.jpg - 528kB Rofan 1916 B.jpg - 651kB Rofan 1916 F2.jpg - 574kB Rofan 1916 Profile.jpg - 524kB Rofan 1916 Close.jpg - 641kB Rofan 1916 Finger.jpg - 537kB Rofan 1916 Pegbox.jpg - 504kB 14.jpg - 464kB

FastForward
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-15-2010 at 09:35 AM

Beautiful oud & mabrook. Can't wait to hear it.

Money comes and goes and hope you enjoy this oud play it in good health.
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2010 at 10:45 AM

Thank you dear !

Here are some more photos .

The label says : Rofan Nahat, in Damascus 1887 (the year the photo was taken) on April 8, 1916, No. 1704 (!!)

2 soundfiles to come later. My problem is that the files are 3 MB, so what to do ? to cut them into multiple files ?
What do you think ?

Attached first sound sample !

For the time being, enjoy viewing & listening

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

12.jpg - 484kB Rofan 1916 Label.jpg - 602kB 40.jpg - 350kB 41.jpg - 394kB 32.jpg - 419kB 35.jpg - 317kB 33.jpg - 677kB

Attachment: Rofan Nahat Sound Sample.mp3 (986kB)
This file has been downloaded 557 times
FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2010 at 10:57 AM

I would upload them to 4shared instead in cutting them.

Thanks for the additional photos.

I just realized there is a soundfile attached. WOW. This is how an oud should sound. Excellent playing as well.

Thanks for sharing.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-15-2010 at 01:46 PM

Beautiful instrument, hard to believe it's almost a century old! You are so right about the greater value of instruments over money. It was a joke in the 1960s in America that stuff was better than money, because if you had stuff you could always sell it, but with money you couldn't always get stuff. Anyway, good health and thoughtful playing to you, dear friend.

alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2010 at 12:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
if you had stuff you could always sell it, but with money you couldn't always get stuff.

Anyway, good health and thoughtful playing to you, dear friend.

:)
I liked the stuff stuff very much.

Thanks dear friend. I wish you the same ! I mean the same good health & same oud.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 8-16-2010 at 02:45 AM

hı alfaraby
ı cant rach you from u2 ı thınk there ıs a problem .
cold you gıve me please your e maıl adress.

Best wishes
veysel..
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2010 at 02:35 PM

No problem my friend ! You, & others, may reach me any time through my mail: alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
liviajacob
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 12:26 PM

Alf alf mabrook, Al Faraby, as always! Very beautiful instrument! The sound is incredible and it's very well played! I am jealous! Best wishes, Livia.
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 12:13 AM
One more soundfile

Thanks Livia !
I have to admit that your column in Al Tarab "The Last of the Nahats", drove me to seek this specific oud.
Well, I mean among others :cool: !!

Now for you've loved the oud, I'm uploading one more clip for your ears only. Don't let members who hadn't say a word listen to it, Deal ?

Enjoy

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
Attachment: Rofan 1916 sound 2.mp3 (846kB)
This file has been downloaded 642 times
liviajacob
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alfaraby  
Thanks Livia !
I have to admit that your column in Al Tarab "The Last of the Nahats", drove me to seek this specific oud.
Well, I mean among others :cool: !!

Now for you've loved the oud, I'm uploading one more clip for your ears only. Don't let members who hadn't say a word listen to it, Deal ?

Enjoy

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

OMG, what a great honour!
I am happy to see that my article has inspired you. Thank you very much, I am proud!

And thank you for this last gift! The instrument sounds like heaven.... And it's very well played, what drives me crazy!

haha Other members hadn't comment because may be they are so astonished that they became speachless haha

Yours , Livia.:wavey:
FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2010 at 04:12 AM

Speechless, yes, one is speechless after hearing the sound and well played.

Play it in good health.
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2010 at 02:07 PM

Thanks dear ! Pls. drop by & play it yourself. You're most welcome .

Any time !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
siro
Oud Maniac

Mood: oudy

[*] posted on 8-22-2010 at 12:31 AM

i am so happy for you dear alfaraby,play in good health
best wishes:)
Abusaid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2010 at 01:00 PM

Alf mabrook ya Alfaraby, your oud is awesome and your playing is wonderful, I really like your style, it sounds very sharky and traditional.

Best wishes,
alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 03:00 PM

Siro & Abusaid :

Many thanks to you both ! I really appreciate your opinions. But I have to point out that it's not me playing here in those two sound samples. I wish I was this good & interesting !

Pls. come along if you're nearby & have a look & touch !
I mean it.

Once you play such an oud, you get used to this standard & therefore you become very nasty, judging other ouds, especially new "metallic" sounds !
I hope I'd recover & get back to "normal" ouds. Do you think there's a chance ?
I doubt it :)

Thanks one more
Yours indeed
Alfaraby
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 10:49 PM

Dear Alfaraby,

congratulations :applause: This oud is really a masterpiece... I hope you will enjoy it for many years ! Indeed there is no substitute for the sound of old venerable ouds !

best regards,

Dan
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2010 at 02:17 AM

Thanks Dan dear ! I wish you one alike

Cheers

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 02:41 PM
Important News from Damascus

Due to new info coming directly from the Orthodox Church registries in Damascus, Rofan George Nahat was the elder son of George Yousef Nahat, not the second as I've stated before. He was born back in 1854, nine years before Abdo, the second son of George. Then came Antoine 1867, then last but not least Hanna 1872. There was no Abdo before nor after THE ABDO we know. George's father Yousef or Yousof was called Nahat (sculptor) for working in carving stone, not wood, as we all were convinced earlier.

I think Dr. Oud's chart is no longer valid ! Here's a call for him to rebuild the Nahat's Genealogy chart all over again ! I may offer my help, if needed. Pls. tell him this, because he uses to ignore my calls.

One more thing I almost forgot : Adel Salameh loved Rofan's oud & sound very much, but he thinks the soundboard has been replaced sometime ago, or maybe recently. I told him : one who's capable of making such soundboards, should make his own ouds, not rennovate others' ! Am I right ?

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 04:30 PM

Lovely playing and majical sound.

Leon
londonoudi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 08:23 PM

How much would I be looking at paying in order to obtain such an instrument?
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 02:04 PM

Alfaraby, if you haven't already done so, you should post your photos to Dr. Oud and let him add them to the Nahat Museum page http://www.droud.com/nahats.htm. I'm sure Richard would be happy to add these to his collection. Your oud is beautiful.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-26-2012 at 01:40 AM

I'm on it! This oud is one of the finest I've seen, the sound is incredible and Alfaraby's playing is awesome!
I'd like also to thank Alfaraby for his invaluable assistance updating the Nahat history information.

Go To Top