Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Zeryab Trail - traveling across the mediterranean ... looking for oud masters
andoni
Oud Lover

Mood: mOudy

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 03:01 PM
The Zeryab Trail - traveling across the mediterranean ... looking for oud masters

Hello people,

About to graduate after many years, so I am planning a backpacking trip across the arab world and need some advice on where to go for the best oud masters and teachers. I will start in the Levant (Jordan/Syria/Palestine/Lebanon) then Turkey to Egypt then Algeria, Tunis, Morocco ending in southern Spain.
I know many people in the Levant that play/teach oud, but would like to hear your input on best places to go. I will also try to visit Naseer Shamma in Egypt.
I especially need help planning where to go in North Africa (Algeria, Tunis, Morocco), are there any oud masters there? I don't mind exploring other musical forms than arabic maqam such as Gnawa, Chaabi or Rai.
Also do you guys know where to get a reliable soft case for the oud? I'm still debating whether I should take mine from here or buy a cheaper one there that I could travel around with without worrying about damage.

Thanks for the input and let me know if you wanna come along :)
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 02:15 AM

I've posted this, answering similar question about Palestine oud trip :

"Most welcome to Palestine. Here you shall have a wonderful trip, experiencing the oud & meet the oudists & the luthiers. You shall meet hundreds of oud players & students if you have the time. You may, as-well, have an intensive course playing the oud with the best teacher we have : Kamil Shajrawy from Nazareth (fluent English speaker). You'll meet the legendary luthiers : Kamil Mowais & Hatem Jubran (Jubran Trio's father) in Nazareth & Abu A'laa in Baqa , and probably buy the best oud you could have ever dreamt of . Once you're here, we shall post you their phone numbers if you'd like to drop in.

Summary: Palestine/Israel is heaven for oudists, despite the tension, but this is politics, while music is what matters here .
Just to let you & everyone here know : Palestinian Arabs & Israeli Jews oudists in our places are real friends, care about each other & about oudists from all over the globe - a lot. See ? Oud can make peace, & I mean real peace !"

As to Jordan : there's nothing to look for there, as much as I know. Syria : Check Sukkar's (Aleppo) & Zaher Khalifa's (Damascus) & Samir Azar (Hems) sites before you fly . Egypt: See Shahata's site & Fathy Amin's in Cairo. They're the best around. There's nothing outside Cairo. Keep away from Mohammad Ali street in Cairo. Look for Haddad in Tunisia, Belhiba in Morroco, Ahmad maker & Abdallah Shatty in Kuwait, Fuad Jihad's sons in Qatar ... etc.

So, welcome around !

Yours Truly
Alfaraby
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 05:40 AM

Hello and welcome

You are lucky doing this trip andoni, if I could I'll go with you.
Here is the adress of Haddad in Tunisia (luthier)

abdalhamid haddad
adress : 366, avenue Farhat Hachad
KORBA - TUNISIE
phone : (00216) 72.384.791

I hope that I can go I visit him in spring 2011.
When will you start your oud tour ?

Go To Top