Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: First Egypt International Oud Forum
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 9-25-2010 at 12:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  

In the context of the big world in which we are all brothers, the oud deserves a big place, not just a regional one. This is probably what he is thinking, that the oud will best propagate if it can cover many different styles and sounds. He has an apparent fondness for an "Andalusian" type sound. Also, he is exploring harmony and counterpoint, which, as we can hear in some of the jam sessions, are not instinctive to Arabic players, but are advantageous for ensemble playing, and will hopefully find their way into tomorrow's Sharqi music in a more sophisticated way than practiced now in pop songs. So he's exploring, and I can't fault him for that.

That's my guess anyway. Those who favor approaches different from Mr Shamma's should attend and strongly promote their agenda, not turn their backs on festivals of this sort. Hopefully there's room for many different visions.

A vast and wisely made comment. Congratulations!fernandraynaud :applause:

With my sincere regards,

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
farid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-25-2010 at 02:06 AM

"And listeners are easily bored, Farid put on a bit of a circus act too. Nobody has ever seen a pyramid of oud players!"

FernandReynaud, if you are talking about me, I'm interested to know how can you tell that? Could you argue your comments? What are bases of your comments which involved me?

regards

farid
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-25-2010 at 02:44 AM

If Farid didn't build the pyramids ... who did?

We were driving our guest back to his hotel in San Francisco, my wife is driving, and I'm sitting in the back seat playing a taqsim in Los Mochis(1), and occasionally falling asleep. Our guest calls his wife in თბილისი, or wherever she is staying, somewhere near there, in Georgia, and says "listen Darling, my host Fernand is playing -- what do you call that instrument? - yes, an oud, in the back seat, and you can listen, all the way around the globe." I don't remember everything else that happened.

:airguitar:

(1) see http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11142#pid76...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top