Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sama'i Thaqil
Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 02:08 PM
Sama'i Thaqil

Hi there all, new oudophile here. Thanks for making it easier for me to begin with this fantastic site and forum!

Anyway, to cut a long question short: Is this sama'i thaqil 10/8 time signature going to get any easier? At the moment I find it absolutely impossible to follow the rhythm from one bar to the next. I learned 'Lamma badaa', but I can only play it exactly as learned without any improv, because if I stray even one note I immediately lose the rhythm. Did anyone else have trouble with this when they started out?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 03:13 PM

Welcome Khalid_ Sale!

My 2 cents. Everything gets easier the more you play with it. Some Semais are heavily syncopated against the rhythm, and some are not. The ones that are not are, one might say, more "square" and thus easier to learn. Lama Bada fits this idea. Shemps al Ghouroub, on the other hand, is a bit more syncopated.

All in all, learning more and various pieces will help you begin to feel the underlying rhythm. Think of that as a "floor" on which you can learn to dance around, once you can feel where it is. When stepping out from the score, playing the natural extended endings of the maqam line are a good place to begin.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 05:00 PM

Welcome Khalid,

I have attached a two-bar loop at 100 bpm. It has a very clear dum on the first, sixth and seventh beat of each bar. I suggest you add it a few times to a track in an audio program (such as Audacity) and keep listening to it until you 'feel the pulse' and it becomes part of you.

Good luck.

Greg

Attachment: loop.wav (517kB)
This file has been downloaded 195 times
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-15-2010 at 12:38 AM

Hi Khalid and welcome !

you received very good advice from DoggerelPundit and Greg !

I had the same problem as you had when I started the oud. I made also my own loop of rythm, made from a sample (about 6 minutes long) :

http://www.4shared.com/audio/ywJEbe56/samai_thaqil.html

Then I selected few Samai's that I liked, an wrote over the sheet music precisely the location of all the dums and taks. For several months I played again and again the same pieces, with the loop running in the background, looking carefully at the score in order to be on time on all the rhythmic accents, spot on.

After this training you'll first be able to play those pieces with the rhythm, without looking at the sheet. And shortly after you'll be able to play new Samai's correctly straight away, as, as Greg said, this rythm would become part of you :)

Dan

Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-15-2010 at 02:12 AM

Thanks to all of you for your advice and help, Barak Allahu fikum.
martino2010
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-15-2010 at 02:26 AM

Hi, I am pleased to see how almost everyone in the forum is trying to help a newcomer, Khalid, being a newcomer myself, personaly iIhave no problem at all with "lamabada" or the rythm 10/8. I mastered "lamabada" without thinking about the rythm, I relied on my ears, later I found out with masters that I played it properly, so, khalid, I recommend that you simply play and sing, and let the passing time deal with the rest...Good luck.
I am personaly trying to find the music sheet or at least the "notes" for the introduction of" ini fi intizarek" by Oum kaltsoum, if anyone can help, thanks to all, and warm regards, Martino
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-15-2010 at 02:46 AM

Hi Khalid and welcome to the forums. I think what you're doing is great practice for training your mind away from simple 2,3 and 4 beat western rhythms. It's something I'm still finding difficult.

I agree, greg's loop is the best way to go. Endless repetition is the only way to internalise it!

I also think different people respond better to different ways of thinking about these more complex rhythms. As well as trying to keep track of the dums and the taks within each 10 beat bar, it can also help to break it down into three separate measures, ie [1,2,3 l 1,2,3,4 l 1,2,3] with the second and third measures starting on taks.

Another, slightly different way of thinking about it is [1,2,3 l 1,2,3, and l 1,2,3].

I'd also say, once you've got Lamma Bada, where each musical phrase goes across one measure only, start looking at samais proper. Here phrases will usually go across one two or three measures and it's much easier to get lost. It's good practice to try to recognise the two and three measure phrases as you listen (over and over!), and you'll eventually get a feel for their patterns - there aren't actually that many once you start to become more familiar with them.

Go To Top