Author: Subject: High 'ff' or not? your views & preferences please
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 9-30-2010 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mrkmni  

So do you recommend to keep this tuning or go to FF CC DD gg cc ff
tks

For the type of music you play you have a good tuning already, the Iraqi tuning is highly specialized, ideal for the Iraqi repertoire and rather less versatile when it comes to the classics, (or requires some tricky fancy finger-work to make up for the missing open A). So I believe you are better off with F A d g c (f), G A d g c (f) or C F A d g c

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 9-30-2010 at 09:12 PM

the point is that a large body is capable of reproducing deeper frequencies than a smaller body - and a smaller body oud will have better response in the high register - so logically, it makes sense to use higher tuning and string configurations on a smaller oud, and vise versa.

for example, you will not put cello strings on a violin, or violin strings on a cello ;)

DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 01:08 AM

Hi Charlie

Like you say in your first post, I think they're pretty much different instruments. I like the sonority of the high f for higher, delicate playing, but in the end, I think very few ouds respond very resonantly on the high f string. Floating bridges do sometimes work well - perhaps more often than fixed, but for my part, I've always missed the effectiveness in the mid to low range, so I've switched to c-c tuning. I find my floating bridge, which is not especially lightly built, responds better in these ranges, and I now prefer the playing styles that use them.

See you Sunday!
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 05:36 AM

oud playing in Turkish is at an extremely advance level, and you will basically never find an 7 course ouds over there - they basically don't exist. Personally I feel that makam music is not about playing in a vast range - as we said, 5 course ouds were the norm for centuries...

I now feel that a 6 course oud is a very good way to go - it is a good compromise between the ancient simplicity, and modern demands for greater range.

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 06:39 AM

For me, a 7-course oud is a way to play different styles on the oud without having to have several ouds. It's not a matter of range but flexibility. I agree that Rast on the very high octave is non-sense..

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:01 AM

yes... it is nice to have flexibility these days. . . . . afterall I myself "need" so much flexibility that I have 31 strings on my "oud" :))

I think "rast" can be played anywhere and can be beautiful - but the point is that if it is played high, then it is no longer a 'traditional rast', therefore the name should not be RAST as not to confuse people because one of the distinguishing features of original rast is the LOW register. [now, having said this, I realise that I myself have been recently somewhat guilty of this when I combined RAGA SARASWATI and MAKAM RAST.... and the rast part was in the very high register. No wonder it didn't sound much like rast :rolleyes: --- the sound is very nice, but NOT much like rast]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top