Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's in Denver?
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 06:20 PM
What's in Denver?

I'm here until Thursday 14th, and was wondering if there's anything oudie going about ...

Let me know.

Hamid
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 10:00 AM

Hi Hamid,

Do you speak Farsi?

Last I knew, Persian oud master Abdolvahab Shahidi lived in the Denver area (to be near relatives, so I'm told). If the Wikipedia article on him is accurate regarding his birth date, he would be 96 yrs. old, so I don't know how active he is these days.

About 8 years ago, I used all of my contacts and wiles to finagle Ostad Shahidi's phone number for a Forum member (who chickened out and never called him!). The Master, I'm told, doesn't speak much English--and I have no idea if he speaks any Arabic or Turkish--so before we attempt any of this again, this needs to be considered.

You can also try contacting Rachid Halihal, a Moroccan oudist/violinist/singer who was (and may still may) based in Denver: http://www.rachidhalihalmusic.com/contact.htm (Rachid may also have info on Ostad Shahidi.)

Khodahafez & B'slama,
Udi John
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 03:32 AM

I saw this earlier when I was in Denver, but did not get a chance to reply. Unfortunately, I spoke too soon and my obligations in Denver soon grew to take hold of all of my time. (I hate it when that happens.)

But I have this info down for the next visit.

Thanks a million. Hamid.

Go To Top