Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud lessons price
kima
Oud Admirer

Mood: in love with my

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 08:53 AM
oud lessons price

hello everybody,
I have found a oud instructor in my area, how much are oud lessons supposed to cost? if anybody could give me a reasonable range?

thank you all
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 07:58 PM

You know that this is not an easy question to answer. Why dont you tell us more about your oud instructor(background) and how much he wants to charge you and then maybe we might be able to answer your question.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 04:25 PM

Hello,

As a rule of thumb, I would expect them to charge the same as a guitar instructor of the same caliber and in the same area charges if not slightly more (due to short supply.) On the other hand you might be lucky and the one you find may be feeling generous and charges you less.

Regards,
Elie
kima
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 11:25 AM

hello guys,

i actually have no idea how much the lessons cost and what the price is based on!!
so anyway, my oud instructor,s name is shawkat essayad....background I have no idea:rolleyes:...but he asked for 40 USD per hour.

I just bought my oud yesterday from a guy named fouad, in takoma park MD, my instructor took me there and said he would help me get a good oud for begginers...since I obviously have no idea, I got one that I am already in love with for 350 USD..

those are the news, cant wait for your input.

take care:wavey:
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 11:31 AM

Did you ever consider first just getting one of those oud instructional videos and learning some of the basics from that? Do you know if you have a Turkish or Arabic style oud? Lark in The Morning sells an instructional video by John Vartan that is pretty good, although it is based on Turkish/Armenian tuning, so it might be a bit limited if you are going for an Arabic style. You could pick up that and just learn the super basics before you start to spend the $40 per hour. I am not sure what is out there if you are going the Arabic route, but I am sure that others do know. Also, there is another member of this board, Haluk, who sells computer video discs for oud instruction, again in the Turkish style. I know that Volume 1 has been translated into English, and it was helpful to me.
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 11:53 AM

:wavey: Hey Kima, Well that dosn't sound to bad. See if he's willing to give you four lessons a month for $150.00 or $175.00.
Now lets see that new oud you bought!!:applause:
kima
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 12:36 PM

hey guys,

I will take pics of my oud and post them tmrw, I am on call tonight :-(
for my inexperienced and ignorant ears, the sound is great, I love it !...that will do it till I find myself a boyfriend:))
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 06:11 AM

Kima,

I think that is a very reasonable price for lessons. I think you should go for it. Having access to an oud teacher is a good thing, as many don't have that luxury. Take advantage of it.

Good luck,
Mike

kima
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 07:12 AM

thank you mike for the advice and the great website, keep up the good work:applause:

Go To Top