Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Custom made Rishas for sale
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 8-30-2011 at 06:49 PM

dont know still waiting for mine i ordered one from bubbitrade or as we know them arabinstruments ill tell you all when it arrives. :shrug:
If it arrives
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 8-30-2011 at 07:43 PM

Arabinstruments contacted me a few months ago asking me the price of my rishis. Then a couple months later, they're selling medium grade rishis from Egypt (not refined) for the same exact price that I told them I sell mine for.
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-30-2011 at 08:26 PM

Thats not very nice i would love to have one of urs i hear only good of them
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2011 at 09:32 AM

Thanks dkhoury, I just sent an e-mail to you. My U2U is full.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-31-2011 at 11:30 AM

Dkhoury, I'm curious now if what you get matches their lovely photo.
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2011 at 11:06 PM

if i ever get it
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 05:44 AM

still waiting for my risha from them !!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I should have bought it from bulerias1981
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 09:34 AM

Dkhoury, when did you order your risha from Arab instruments? It's relevant to know how it goes.

I for one don't see what is unethical about asking a competitor about pricing. It's not a trade secret, it's public information. They have done nothing unusual or wrong.

But it's not unethical for members of this forum to discuss trade practices, either. It doesn't hurt to repeat this now and then for new members: Carefully check exact return shipping costs before you buy something with return privileges from anyone. Hint: the country and the dimensions matter.

So, let's follow the risha saga. How long has it been?

dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 11:57 PM

hi i received the risha today and whata waste of money they are way too thick they are about 2mm in thickness.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 04:58 PM

Oh, but I think that's great, I wouldn't mind one like that. You can file it down at the tip and still have a good grip on the body. Hopefully it will be flexible enough. It's all a matter of how you like it. I tend to have to build mine up, which is more hassle than having too much to begin with and filing it down. How long is it? How is it finished, how flexible, how wide, etc? Can you post a close-up photo?
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 09:27 PM

not flexible at all and the look is great and it is 1 cm wide 12 cm long but if im paying $20 dollars for a risha including shipping i dont want to have to sand and file it so im able to use it
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 09:19 AM

Well, maybe I didn't really explain what happened in detail. But they pretended to be interested in buying my rishis. Then I find out, they were just looking to understand what to sell the rishis for. If I said $5, sure enough their website would say $5. But the difference is, I am a luthier, I have special tools and skills. I cut the rishis from horn myself, and refine them. I make rishis various shapes and sizes according to my customers request. If they want a thinner one, that option is available. I even ask for measurements. So my price is based on the custom nature of my product. Theirs is based off of my price, but is not custom. Their product is likely made in Egypt and sent to them already made. dkhoury received a rishi he wasn't happy with. I ask all my customers what kind of rishi they like. Because there isn't a rishi that works for every oud and every player. If they have no preference, I ask them what kind of oud they have, and send them something that works for them. If they dont like it, they can send it back, and trade for another, or get their money back. But that hasn't happened yet.

dkhoury, I'm sure there is actually nothing wrong with your rishi. It can be thinned out. And some people really like thicker rishis. Simon Shaheen for example uses thick rishis like that. And hes one of the best players in my opinion. I personally use 1.6mm thick risha, on a traditional style Arabic ouds.. with Labella basses and D'Addario plain nylons. It seems to be a good combination.
doroq
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-8-2011 at 08:20 AM
rishi

I recently received 2 rishi, and am very happy indeed. The transaction was smooth and expeditious, and the workmanship is of high quality> highly recommended!
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:52 AM

Just received my rishi yesterday, very satisfied and perfect length and thickness. Transaction was smooth and quick shipping.
schwarzwald
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 07:14 AM

I just got my rishi a few days ago. I'm used to playing with a really thick plastic one so switching a to a thinner horn rishi makes a huge difference. I like the tone that the horn rishi creates. The prices are extraordinarily good and delivery is fast.
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 01:37 PM

Just got my risha this week. Very high quality, well shaped and smooth cow horn risha. For those of you that have never tried cow horn rishi, they are definitely worth the cost and are far superior to plastic in my opinion. However, they must be shaped properly and the quality of cow horn will vary greatly if you just order them from any other place. The risha I ordered from Bulerias1981 is very high quality and worth the money. Thanks!
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 10:45 AM

Have now in my posession a number of rishi from John (bulerias1981), ALL are excellent. I tend to prefer the thinner style, very flexible, and John has done well to provide me with these based on my descriptions and requests. Now when I use plastic or other materials as risha I find there is something missing from my sound sincce I started using thes handmade horn rishi. It's like they bring out a clarity which other materials do not. I can see why they are popular and well liked and like many others, I strongly recommend them. Excellent service, very quick, courteous and clearly aims to please. Thanks John.

Best Wishes, Charlie
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 04:08 PM

Hi all. New batch made today.

While other sites are charging $20 for "superior quality" cow horn rishas, (I won't mention any names here)
I still charge $15 for my best, and less for smaller rishas. I also customize the shape of customer's rishas for that price. My customers also enjoy the cheapest shipping rate at $1 dollar for U.S., and $2 to most international shipments.

With 100% positive feedback as you can see from this thread from beginner to established members, you can trust to get a risha that works for you.

All my rishas are handmade and cut from horn and refined myself. Its a messy, smelly process, with some specialty tools involved making the job easier. My service works great for those who haven't any interest in making them themselves.

E-mail me at bulerias81@gmail.com to place an order via paypal.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 04:33 PM

Buy John's rishas! I rarely use anything else since I got mine from him. Very good work, I'll be getting more when these eventually wear out.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 05:37 PM

Hey Brian,
it's my understanding from previous posts that you have studied with Simon Shaheen, does he use horn rishas?
Thanks
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  

dkhoury, I'm sure there is actually nothing wrong with your rishi. It can be thinned out. And some people really like thicker rishis. Simon Shaheen for example uses thick rishis like that. And hes one of the best players in my opinion. I personally use 1.6mm thick risha, on a traditional style Arabic ouds.. with Labella basses and D'Addario plain nylons. It seems to be a good combination.

Simon uses a thick rishi, 1.mm or more. Keeps a very tight right hand, very little movement most of the time.
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 02:02 AM

Great! I'm OK for a couple of the longest ones, I'm going to buy a caliper tomorrow and contact you by e-mail :wavey:
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 07:32 PM

John ( "Bulerias" ) sent me two made to my requested specs last week and they're just what I wanted. Both sound and feel are excellent. And you can't beat the shipping cost. Next I have to try the longer ones.
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 06:48 AM

The surface is perfectly smooth and flawless.

145.96 mm length. Long enough for a good grip and to compensate for wear.

The width is irregular, thinner on the white part. I guess it's a manufacturing defect, but it is hand made with natural material ...
I think the width is a compromise between the way you hold the risha (very prone, or not) and the space you need between the risha and the string below. To me, 10.34 mm is width enough for a gook grip, and short enough to take advantage of the string below.

Square edge side. I play until knife like edge, then I file it until square edge.

Bullet shaped tip.To me, it gives different attacks and more nuances.

0.71 mm thick, this is the part I like (black part). Nervous way of playing, but not too much, just enough flexibility. Lot of response, with little effort.

0.66 mm thick. Smooth way of playing. This gives a kind of nonchalance, difficult to control when the pace is accelerating. The risha noisily hits the pickguard.

These are my feelings, with my way of playing. It might be different than yours, with the same risha. But this can give an idea of ​​the correlation between sensations and dimensions.

Thanks John, good job!

11/19/11 Edit -> About the irregular width: I'm not sure, but I think the white tip of the Risha was shaped like a bottleneck in order to make it more flexible.

DSCN0050.jpg - 93kB DSCN0053.jpg - 93kB DSCN0055.jpg - 100kB

DSCN0054.jpg - 101kB
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 09:29 AM

Hi Bulerias,

What do have in stock ? want tow of your rishas. I've made 4 rishas for myself, with the same horn block, but still not satisfied by the result. So I want to find out your secrets (chuuuut :cool: )
minimum length : 130 mm
minimum width : 12 mm
For the thickness it's hard to decide, I guess that each horn block (do you work with blocks or an entire horn, not compressed ?) have its density.... I consider my playing (if i can say that) as smooth, I rarely hurt the soundboard with my risha. I'll decide when I'll send you the order form by mail, just tell if you have material in the length and width I desire.
Thanks
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top