Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud bridge
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 12:12 AM
oud bridge

just bought a cheapy off of ebay in germany. it's small, 5 course, turkish made (i believe) and has had some repair work done.

i was thinking of adapting it to something more suitable for medieval european music by replacing the 5c. bridge with a 4c. bridge.

is there anything to be gained (in terms of increased volume) from placing a thin strip of bone, vertically in the bridge?

thank you for any advice - bill
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 09:53 AM

Hi Bill

Do you mean a saddle as in a classical guitar bridge? I'm not sure about acoustics, but I imagine it would make a difference to the intonation, but with the oud being a fretless instrument, I don't know whether this will be an issue.

The other thing is that European lutes, like ouds, don't have saddles. However, no medieval lutes have survived, so it's hard to be dogmatic about this. Also the late medieval lute would generally have been a 5-course, not a 4-course instrument.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 10:09 AM

greetings -

it's just an idea. i would love to have a real, grown-up, 5c. (preferably) medieval lute but funds do not permit it.

i think the saddle is precicely what i mean. i imagined it would cause more acute vibrations in the sound board and crank up the volume a bit.

i suppose i could risk a limb and wrestle one of the bones away from the dog(s), file it down and simply place so that the strings rest on it as they exit the normal bridge. might give an idea of what it would sound like.

i'll let you know.

ciao - bill
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 05:04 PM

Hi Bill,

My guess is it would help in fixing the scale length to be mor consistant between restringing, but may actually reduce the volume a little and may be even change the tone slightly. Just a guess...

Elie

Go To Top