Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is this a weird or correct method to tune?
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 05:03 AM
Is this a weird or correct method to tune?

Hi, I had a quick question. I've had the oud for about 9 months now and I've been tuning D G A D G C I think?. I tune by doing the following. I tune the lowest string (thickest) to D and then make sure the next string up sounds like the previous string pressing the fourth finger(pinky) and do this throughout all the strings...is this right or am I way off. Since I read that strings are tuned a 4th apart, I used my pinky (4th finger, almost like 4th fret) and make sure the next string played (open, no fingers) sounds like the previous one playing with the 4th finger...i don't know notes, im self taught. Also I just bought some aquila strings which are c g d A F C, is this ok with the way i try to tune as mentioned above, which is D G A D G C I think? Can I tune differently to what the strings say. Can someone please help me with this method that i use to tune using 4th finger and all that stuff (is it correct, etc)?
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 05:47 AM

if you play arabic oud, that sounds ok to me. G-A-D-G-C (bass to treble) is considered the basic, egyptian tuning. what you tune the 6th (bass) course to is entirely up to you.

turkish, i know nothing about.

you're obviously out there on your own. no teacher...no one to say "yes" or "no"... i can relate. i still have lapses in the most elementary aspects of oud playing in particular and music in general.

include mike et all in your prayers before going beddy-bye. without them, we'd be sunk.

- bill
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 07:10 AM

Hi,

It's generally not the best method to use a fingered string to set the tone of an open string, since your finger might be a little off, setting the whole instrument off.

The best thing to do is at first get an electronic tuner to get the right pitch for each string. As you progress, you will be able to tune more from ear by knowing what the intervals should sound like from string to string.

Try and use your ear as much as possible, but generally don't tune open strings with fingered notes. Your tuning is fine, but over time I think you might see that the C F A d g c tuning is most helpful for Arabic compositions.

:)

Take care buddy,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 07:28 AM
tuning

So is using the 4th finger the correct finger or use 5th finger (one of my concerns) do i have to tune the way the strings are made for like i mentioned above or can i do it how i want...how do i know if im an octave too high or too low...and where can i get an electronic tuner and will it tell me?
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 08:16 AM

ahhh....

ebay is a good place for a tuner, depending on how far you are from a music store. most record shops, music stores, electronic stores, etc. have them. a simple guitar tuner will do but they make universal tuners as well.

if you have a guitar, i think i'm right in saying that you should be able to count up from the open, 6th (bass) E to what ever note you choose for your lowest bass on the oud. do you have any oud music on cd? if so, playing along (even if it's only hitting bass notes in the right key) should give you an idea of where you are.

all the best - bill

ps - mavrothis is much too modest to say so but the lessons on his site (oud.cafe) are just excellent - a good place to start from.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 11:11 AM

Hi again,

Thanks Bill for the nice words, I depreciate (with Greek accent lol).

Which finger you use to hit a note depends on a lot of things, there isn't just one for each position. The makam you are playing, where you just came from, and where you will be going next determine which finger is best at what time and place.

I had said that fingering the notes for tuning open strings, regardless of which finger, is not the best idea.

Getting a tuner will not always necessarily tell you what octave you are in, but if you use Mike's videos on oud instruction, you should be able to pick out open strings played by Wael Kakish and use that as a guide. The tuner will help you with fine tuning as you get used to how each string should sound.

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 11:30 AM
tuner

i have a guitar pedal which has a built in tuner, and since i have a pickup for the oud i can just plug it in and tune it that way...is that a good idea you think?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 02:01 PM

It'll work, but why not just get an inexpensive tuner you can use without attaching anything to your oud?

Your keyboard should work fine too.

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mercm525i
So is using the 4th finger the correct finger or use 5th finger (one of my concerns) do i have to tune the way the strings are made for like i mentioned above or can i do it how i want...how do i know if im an octave too high or too low...and where can i get an electronic tuner and will it tell me?

Hello,

Chromatic tuners are very helpful and recommended, but most will not be able to tell you octaves and that is not a problem so I would get one. As long as you use the approperiate strings getting the correct octaves will be easy, the strings will break if you attempt a higher octave, or they will be too lose if you are an octave lower.

The Aquila set is a very good choice for Arabic tunning. You may tune it to the tunning that you mentioned you are only tunning the top 2 bass strings a step higher than what the set is marked, no harm.

Here is a link to a site with a virtual keyboard http://www.musikit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_... you can use to tune to, the octaves are accurate. You want to start your bass at D2 your tunning or C2 common tunning.

Best wishes,
Elie
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 05:44 PM
thank you

thanks man that helped a lot...:xtreme:

Go To Top