Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pinky finger
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 10:28 AM
pinky finger

guys i learned oud on my own (of course with the help of this lovely website and others). I never use my pinky finger when playing just my first three fingers...how important is this do you guys think in your opinions?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 11:12 AM

Hi,

For the best ability to express yourself on an instrument, you should be able to use all fingers as well as possible.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 02:53 PM
Fingers

Let me just say that this issue has been the subject of a lot of debate over the years and there have been many schools of thought.

Historically there have been schools that advocated using only 3 fingers (index, middle,third-no pinky). For a long time another school in the middle east many teachers would stick a piece of wood between the index and third finger of their students to suppress the middle finger, because they believed that only TWO fingers should be used, index and third.

I believe, like Mavro does, that you should use all four fingers, and you should exercise them to stretch so you can hit these far notes (e.g. maqam Hijaz). My teacher, Mimi Spencer (God rest her) made a big point of that, and gave me stretching exercises. She also used to say that if you don't use all the fingers that God gave you you're a ...wimp :)

Anyway, that's my $ 0.02 brother
Spyros C.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 03:03 PM
Fingers

I forgot to mention that also almost any book on oud instruction you check (e.g. Charbel Rouhana) that show fingerings, you will see the number 4 even where you could have produced the same note by dropping to the next string. So they must be including it to exrcise you in stretching your fingers, and using your pinky.

Spyros C.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 03:45 PM
thanks

thanks guys...i appreciate your help. someone actually helped me find a person that gives oud lessons in my area (thank you so much)...im excited about that now...:bounce:
im used to using 3 fingers and sometimes i try to use 4 just to see what its like but i notice i slide my fingers a lot on the neck instead of just using another finger.

Go To Top