Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Seller Rating Thread
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 11:44 AM
Oud Seller Rating Thread

It just occured to me that we all could benefit from an Oud Seller rating thread. I beleive that it would be really easy to mangage or transfer mangement with our current Mikeouds website system.

The top of the main thread, called Oud Seller Rating, will list the names of sellers in alphabetical order with links to comments made by buyers on separate threads. Everytime a buyer has an experience, they can post the positive or negative experience, resolutions etc.... on a separate thread (to be used as a link under the name of the seller).
The Oud Seller Rating can be updated easily by "editing" and adding links to the comments.

What do you think of this idea?
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:41 PM

I think your idea has a lot of merit.

We discussed something similar about five years ago, but it did not come to anything.

Read these two threads and it will give you an idea of the direction we were heading:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2987&pa...

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3029#pid198...

Regards,

Greg
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 10:07 PM

Thanks Greg,

I was not aware of those threads. I believe the crux of the matter in those threads was to describe and give subjective opinions about the quality of the ouds or give some guidance to newbies as to where to go toget ouds.

I, however, was refering to rating the buying experience and efficiency of the transaction. Sort of like they have on ebay.

As far as I know, most reputable luthiers are very diligent in keeping their promise and ensuring as smoothe a transaction as possible. I'm aware that this has not been the case with some oud brokers and individuals who continuously resell reputable ouds as a business.

Such a report will keep sellers of ouds on their toes.

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 06:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by myeyes2020  
It just occured to me that we all could benefit from an Oud Seller rating thread. I beleive that it would be really easy to mangage or transfer mangement with our current Mikeouds website system.

Hi myeyes220,

I am sure the benefit will even be greater when we buy directly from a reputable luthier as I've never heard a negative vibe in this regard, so cut the middle man and I encourage everyone to deal directly with them.
In regards to ebay merchants and private sellers people can ask in advance regarding shipping/ insurance and packaging to eliminate any headaches and all the above is not risk free but at least when you buy from a luthier you might get a replacement or a repair.
As for rating and feedback, it's very useful for new buyers and oud makers as it will make them aware of the transition of ouds from their workshops to oudists hands and learn of any mishaps and care for resolving it for new orders.
I think it's a nightmare to think of losing or receiving a damaged oud or even awaiting the arrival of an overdue shipment.
Letts hope all the late ouds make it for Christmas :xtreme:

Best Regards

Awad
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:20 AM

I am sure the benefit will even be greater when we buy directly from a reputable luthier as I've never heard a negative vibe in this regard, so cut the middle man and I encourage everyone to deal directly with them.

Yes, but it's not always possible: Sukar doesn't sell his ouds directly (not in the west, anyway), and many beginning oudists are not prepared to spend the higher prices that almost all luthier-built instruments command.

I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented effectively without a lot of headaches on Mike's part.

Maybe oud sellers could be required to post all their ouds in one thread, with a poll for people to post feedback and their experiences.
Then, if you were looking at an oud, you would be able to easily see all their other transactions. It would also minimize the clutter of the "Buy and Sell" section, with certain builders posting dozens of threads.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Yes, but it's not always possible: Sukar doesn't sell his ouds directly (not in the west, anyway), and many beginning oudists are not prepared to spend the higher prices that almost all luthier-built instruments command.

I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented effectively without a lot of headaches on Mike's part.

Maybe oud sellers could be required to post all their ouds in one thread, with a poll for people to post feedback and their experiences.
Then, if you were looking at an oud, you would be able to easily see all their other transactions. It would also minimize the clutter of the "Buy and Sell" section, with certain builders posting dozens of threads.

Thanks Brian,
I totally agree with you prices are higher when ordering from an oud maker, but yet again you pay for what you want and I am sure many oud builders can cater for different levels and grades, I am sure some forum members have dealt directly with Ibrahim Sukar and received beautiful instruments with no hassle and also there were others who bought directly from other forum member luthiers with great ease and satisfaction.
My main point Brian is to put an end to this latest trend of complaints and bad experiences with bogus sellers who plagued this forum lately, so instead of coming to the forums to see new and old instruments paraded elegantly across the pages, listening to a nice taqseem or witnessing the birth of a new oud. e.t.c
You come across not one but few posts about some bad experience in one form or the other.
This is why I strongly agree with getting our in house luthiers support and advice in this regards, with hopefully some discounts for forum members and free-bees. and to also consider a low budget instruments for new students and others maybe similar to the late Mr. Haluk's offers.
I am sure we don't want to put a burden on Mike's shoulder but we want a healthy atmosphere for all. By the way Mike has done a great deal with recommending and helping many through the years in buying grand ouds and will always be happy to lend a hand I am sure.

Best Regards

Awad
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 06:58 PM

Abusin,

Yes of course, I agree that luthier's prices are worth it and one must pay more for the higher quality. Yet I recognize that not everyone is financially able to buy the instrument they would like, so I think mid-level resellers of factory ouds serve a (potentially!) useful function.

I also find the recent barrage of resellers/complaints somewhat dispiriting.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Zulu
Oud Junkie

Mood: I'm in the m'Oud for Love!

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 02:17 PM

I hope something comes of this to help others avoid the problem I'm having at the moment.
I am currently going through a terrible experience with Palmyrami; they have failed to deliver a Sukar 212 after I paid them 3 months ago.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11418

http://www.zulutattoo.com
https://www.ronizulu.com/
One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself.
~Leonardo da Vinci

Go To Top