Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Oud #1
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
A different rosette that I cut by hand (beautiful design by Alfaraby with my name in Arabic at center

Thanks John for trusting this design .
One correction : It's not my design. It's a famous old one. I only wrote your name in the center. Here it is !

I liked you new "top" :)

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

John.jpg - 119kB
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 12:43 AM

This is a very old thread, but others, like me, may sometimes still look at it, and I think I may have something to add to the topic, concerning wood for the bridge. Maple seemed to be a strange option, if I understand the posts above correctly. Maybe people were exclusively talking about arabic ouds, but I understand from several sources, one having talked to faruk turunz, that maple is standard on turkish ouds. Rosewood is an option, but maple is what you get when you don't ask for something else. Maybe one of the main differences between turkish and arabic ouds?
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 08:49 AM

I can believe it and get convinced we really neglect the bridge as an essential issue in the sound production belonging to the lutherie. It's weight and wood choice more than its shape. Then another difference i think is rather more flexible soundboard in Turkish making than in Arabic classical

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 08:45 AM

Hi.. maple is the sole choice of wood for the stringed instrument families. Maple is also being used on modern flamenco guitars made by Andalusian guitars http://www.andalusianguitars.com/

I've used maple on a few ouds with good results. I'm not going to say its the best, I'm also not saying walnut, or other woods typically used for the Arabic bridge are the best.. there are many variables. I've even used spruce with good results.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top