Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A question from a beginner ... please
samsamaha
Oud Addict

Mood: Good Mood

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 05:04 PM
A question from a beginner ... please

Hi there
I bought a used Oud to start lessons and learning.
the keys do not stay but for few minutes after Dozan the oud and they slip.
the problem is ... I live in south Florida USA, where musicians here didnt even know what a Oud looks like.
my Question is ... can I change those keys and install others from another instrument ... Violin ... for example, or what do you think I have to do?
thanks for your help ... great people here in this forum.
Regards.
Dr. Sameh Samaha
Naples, Florida USA

my oud - 4.jpg - 15kB my oud - 1.jpg - 17kB
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 05:26 PM

Hi Sameh,

Check this thread:

For slipping pegs you have also this : http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10210 and http://www.theviolinman.co.uk/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=Pr...

Also check this: http://www.amazon.com/The-String-Centre-Peg-Drops/dp/B0002TKLI0

Do a search on the forums for slipping pegs, you'll find lots of hints.

You can have the pegs replaced, but it's not an inexpensive job -- you could check with a violin shop locally, they should be able to show you some different style and size pegs -- viola pegs might work for you; these jobs usually cost in the neighborhood of $200...not cheap by any means.

Good Luck...PaulO
samsamaha
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 05:42 PM

thanks PaulO for your kind concern, I started my search already and found this page ... what do you think about those Mechanical pegs and you dont have to tune anymore ... hahaha ... sounds lazy and great,
http://sites.google.com/site/oudguitare/generalities/thepegs
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 08:15 PM

They're called Pegheads, and though I haven't used them myself, I've thought about it. Ones that have really like them.

Cheers,
Paul
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:40 AM

Planetary pegheads are great but veeery expensive ... we discussed them some time ago ... ask the oracel ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
samsamaha
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 03:32 PM

OK
here is an update .... I took the Oud and stopped by one of the only 2 music stores in town .. described to the pot head at the front reception the problem and he said ... Dude ... you have to talk to girl that knows all about violins, tuning and fixing and the whole shabang ... I waited 15 minutes for the girl and every a. hole in the store felt in love with the Oud and picked it up and tried to play and told me .. Dude ... this is out of tune ... I hate to be called Dude ... any ways ... here she is a 5' 2" ... cute young girl in her late 20"s .. told her the problem and I want to install mechanical pegs instead of the ones I have ... she thought about it and chickened out to install them ... she is afraid to break the wood around the wholes and she sold me a type of a wax like disk in little aluminum tin for $8 ... called ... HIDERSINE HIDERPASTE ... made in England and she told me how to use it and promised me if it doesn't work she will install the other pegs for me ... now I want to know exactly the name of the mechanial pegs we need ?
thanks everybody for helping
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 04:09 PM

Samsamaha,

Please find a real luthier if you're going to have any work done with the pegs. This 'girl' is not it.

A google search turned up someone named Ross Teigen as a luthier near you. Not sure what his deal is, but you should try talking to him. There's also a violin shop a bit north of you that might be able to help.

I don't think you need the pegheds, just decent quality, properly fitted pegs. Viola pegs usually work, though you can order sets of oud pegs online that might be a less expensive alternative:

Ebony: http://www.amazon.com/Oud-Pegs-Set-12-Ebony/dp/B001AYQ8MO

Olive: http://www.dalymusic.com/oud-pegs-olive-wood-set-of-12.aspx (some people don't like olive pegs, but I actually do, as long as they are properly fitted).

There are more options if you search.
If you find a competent luthier, (s)he may want to watch Jameel's oud peg fitting tutorial:
http://oudluthier.blogspot.com/2009/11/peg-fitting-tutorial.html

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
samsamaha
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 05:09 PM

Brian ... thanks ... talked to the guy, will meet him tomorrow morning at 11 ... he sounds very professional ... he said that good viola ebony pegs are a good choice ... we;ll see.
I will keep you posted.
regards.
Sameh
samsamaha
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 09:39 AM

Update .. "if anybody is interrested".
Met the guy at 11 am .. it was a rainy day.
he is about 45 minutes away from my house, his workshop is behind his house, huge building lots of tools and pictures and old instruments on the walls ... very nice and professional man, he does restoration for collectors od guitars, violins etc. , he is a retired professional guitar player and he handmakes his own brand of guitars ... I am attaching his flyer.
he took couple of pegs off the oud and tested the holes and said that the pegs were painted and that is a crime ... he cleaned the holes and worked on the pegs with a tool that looks like a pencil sharpener and after a while he said that the pegs are worthless.
he convinced me that good pegs and the process of tuning my oud the right way is a pleasure I shold not miss by using the mechanical pegs ... and I am convinced now,
he ordered a set of 12 ebony viola fancy shmancy pegs that will cost around $40 with shipping and will arrive next week, meanwhile he kept the oud to clean all the holes.
I will keep you updated

Teigen Guitars.jpg - 151kB
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 09:59 AM

Hey Sam, hopefully the nice man will not charge so much you will wish he called you Dude. You can get a reamer and an adjustable shaver for about $80 total, on e-bay, so keep that in mind as an option, it's perhaps a pleasure you shouldn't miss. BTW fancy rosewood or ebony viola pegs from Dov Schmidt are $1-2 each. Rosewood is easier on the hüles, not as abrasive. If the peg is 10x harder than the hüles, peg wins, wears hüles. Etc.
samsamaha
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 10:13 AM

the babe was a little hotty though ... I want to get done with this and start learning a bit before I go to Egypt in May where I am buying a Shehata oud with the help of my dear friend Mamdouh El Gebaly and I will camp there with a teacher for 3 months.
by the way ... are those online classes with Cameras are any good at all?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 11:13 AM

There's a guy in Egypt that gives individual lessons over Skype. He's young, he's flexible, you can find common ground very easily. He's on cairo time, 2+ hours from GMT.

He's Hassan Yousri

hassanyousri@hotmail.com

OudProf's DVD called "Learn Maqamat on oud v2" is fantastic. It's more a practice and learning tool, like a handbook on DVD for your PC, than a movie. You can pop it into your PC, go to a maqam at random, spend some time immersing in the examples, and playing. There are little shorcomings, but overall it's a goldmine, it's been very useful and unquestionably worth the modest cost. If I stop working with that DVD, every time I come back to it I realize how much I forgot. It's a must.

samsamaha
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 11:43 AM

I got both DVDs ... there is a guy online that I like to follow sometimes .. his name is Dr. Farouk .. a Syrian lives in KSA ... he is on youtube

Go To Top